My first VN poem

Discussion in 'The VMBB True Story Tellers' started by Guest, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

nighthawk
    (6/19/01 12:21:55 am)
    | Del All My first VN poem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is the first poem I wrote after coming back to the world. I had made the rounds of all the family, old friends, etc. I admit I did not understand what the hell was going on in the US in the fall of 1969, but I do know I was changed. And I was only a REMF!
    This is not very good, but I did want to share it with you good folks. Maybe here, someone will understand it.

SURVIVING

I sit and drink
    I laugh to hide my tears
    My friends come and go
    But are they really friends?
    This I’ll never know
    Why, when I have so much,
    I feel I still have nothing?
    I have only my thoughts
    And memories
    But who can survive with only this?
    Can I?
    I must!

s.e.hutchison, Oct 1969

low2go
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/19/01 7:25:15 am)
    | Del Re: My first VN poem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You did good 'Hawk---you started by having the gumption and the courage to place onto paper things that may have been tormenting you--perhaps things you could tell noone by speaking them. You spoke of the doubts of that 'friend' really being one that you could tell things to. Every where I ever went in my military life, there was the Chaplain who served as the listening post--many times the sign post. Such a man, you seek him well and you abide his counsel. There is no man who is an island unto himself--keep the words flowing and the spirit moving. Wilborn

dreamcatcher27371
    (6/19/01 7:34:53 am)
    Nighthawk. Excellent. Touching. Items such as this are much more than words, more than poems, more than remembrances. I think most of us who have BTDT have felt the same loneliness in a crowd, the same desperation at what WAS compared to what IS. That's what makes us all brothers. It has been 28 years since I left Vietnam and I can still close my eyes and hear the sounds, see the faces, smell the smells and relive the emotions. I am now nearly 63 years old. I served on icebreakers in the Arctic and Antarctic, served on diesel fast-attack submarines plying our trades in places we were not supposed to be, flown 2000 hours in support of our ballistic missile submarines, fathered seven children, buried my parents, and been to many places and done lots of other things. However, my thoughts continue to center around two tours in-country Vietnam. Those times had such a terrific impact on my life. Thank you for your private words and peace be unto you my brother. /larry/

homer4
    (6/19/01 7:46:29 am)
    Could be anyone of us Hawk!

Good job...certainly your calling.

Thanks.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

Misterstan
    (6/19/01 8:51:50 am)
    Nighthawk,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories.

You've come to the right place.

Welcome Home Brother.

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/19/01 4:57:42 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: My first VN poem
    Although not in the same places and times where
    you have been, I can definately understand and
    relate.

Thumbs up to you my friend!

JD
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/20/01 7:38:02 pm)
    Stan H.,

You have a very special gift in being able to write
    poetry about your feelings of that time. Don't ever stop!

Sharon

nighthawk
    (6/20/01 8:01:42 pm)
    Thanks folks for the good words,,,please see my comments in "Gen. Dis."
    Thanks again!!!!!