1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

my free 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by old semperfi, Jan 23, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    a number of years ago a good friend of mine gave me a 1911 45.he said it belonged to his grandfather but he was afraid to shoot it,he gave it to me.it had so much holster wear a hole was worn in the slide,the hammer was so long it bit everytime he shot it.it also appeared to have serial #ground off.i took it thinking i would use parts and build one.with much research i found that the gun was probably made around 1913 and was military.i called my local atf and explained what i had.i was told that many years ago a military officer could purchase his 45 but they were numbered for amory purposes only and legally they did not have to have serial #anyway.i finally purchased a essex frame and a surplus slide and rebuilt gun using some of the parts,it will out shoot my gold cup.i still have the old parts and may some day put it all together again. old semperfi
  2. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Free is a very good price!
  3. jondar

jondar New Member

Quote: "I was told (by the ATF) that years ago a military OFFICER could purchase his firearm...."

Absolutely correct. A few years ago I got into an argument with two or three members of another forum who had posted that they had a Model 1911 or 1911A1 'their dad had carried in the war". They said I was saying that their dad stole the gun. Not at all. Huge numbers of these arms were put on the market about 1950 and could be purchased cheaply. If you were an officer and had the document from your commanding officer permitting you to buy it, you could. But the idea that any and all could walk out the gates of the discharge center with their discharge in one hand and their Model 1911 in the other is very naive indeed.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you ever want to put that old gun together again, I suggest you WRITE to the ATF, instead of calling. Having an answer, on ATF letterhead, will keep your butt out of jail. Saying, "But they told me, over the phone" won't.

While it's true that, back then, they were not required to have a serial number, removing the serial number on a gun is a Federal crime. Even though it wasn't required to have one, it did have one, and it was removed, and that's illegal.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  5. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

thats just plain AWESOME. nice snag