My grandfathers old Colt 45

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by joes, Feb 1, 2007.

1. joes

joes New Member

This old Colt 45 government issue was given to me by my grandfather. I take it out occassionally and squeeze-off a few rounds. It still fires great.

Since I'm 70 years old and have no one to leave this pistol to, I have decided to offer it for sale to a collector who will appreciate it.
    I don't know what a fair price would be. Can anyone give me a ballpart figure as to how much I should ask for it?

Thanks,

Joe S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Goody

Goody Member

The "Standard Catalog" shows this to be a Commercial series, about 1914. With the amount of finish that is gone and the light pitting I would rate it no better than Fair, perhaps even Poor. Assuming all numbers match and all parts are original to the gun, the book shows $550 to $750.
  3. smithd50

smithd50 New Member

Sorry I can't afford it...regardless of price (I'm very broke). Nice to see you appreciate it.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

It does look to be a “commercial” model, denoted by the “c” preceding the serial number. Colt made approximately 138,532 of these between 1912 and 1925. Most of these are not real collectable if the condition is under 60%, but are desirable as shooters. My book shows a 60% gun might go for around $600. At 70% = $700, 80% = $900. With all the bluing gone, and the pits it has, I’d rate this at about 25 -30%, it’s a good shooter.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi joes........welcome to TFF.

Too bad it's not in better condition.....it would be worth quite a bit of $$$.

Also looks like the slide stop and thumb safety are replacement parts.

Anyway, you've got a nice old "shooter" there.... :)
  6. ksswamprat

ksswamprat New Member

Joes,
    As you have no one to leave this 1911A1. May I state I'm available for adoption.

Swamprat
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

A Blue Wonder blueing kit and a little work and that would look be looking good:)
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Joes,

Check your private messages.
  9. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

In all actuality, you are better off to give it to a good person that has been kind to you and might think of you every now and again in your old age.

These young kids now a days are just out for themselves. Most of them would hock it for $50 and a bag of crack and wouldn't ever miss it.

As you get older and your health dereriorates - you might need a good friend to look after you and your affairs. I don't know your financial situation and maybe you are looking to get something out of it. It wasn't much of a gun when it was new, because if someone thought enough to put a dab of oil on it twice a year it would be worth something today.

A gunsmith would probably charge $300 - $500 to restore it back to new again and it might only be worth $500 to begin with.

A gun shop is only interested in resale and would only offer you about $175 for it and try to resell it for about $350

If you could get $250 from anyone that could afford to take care of it and wouldn't just be looking to make a quick buck - you would be lucky.

I would give you the $250, just to see it go to a good home. But you would be insulted. One other question is =- with a gun that old.. Did you ever bother to register it? There is a lot of antique guns out there that never were registered.

A mikitary sidearm would have had to have had been sold through some dealer or gun club. Where as a civilian production model could have been sold over the counter.. I believe that the C stands for Civilian and is not a military weapon. Which is good, because if it was a military weapon and it was stolen from some military base 80 years ago and given to your family member -- then it would still be a stolen weapon..Reguardless of age....
    Not something that I would want in my gun case or on my person if arrested.
  10. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Nice photos. The Rifleman is right, do not give it to a "kid", they won't appreciate it and will "lose" it. Leave it as is and give it to an "adult" you love.