My grandpa's High Standard HD Military .22 pistol

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by WYO36, May 10, 2010.

1. WYO36

WYO36 New Member

I inherited my grandpa's old High Standard pistol (semiauto, 6.5 inch barrel). It has one issue. The slide doesn't completely return to full forward after firing (or even after cocking the gun to fire position) leaving a space of a few mm between the slide face and the barrel assembly. I have replaced the spring, thinking that a weak spring wouldn't push the slide far enough forward, but the problem persists. I can push the slide forward until it "seats firmly", then the gun will fire. But I'd like it to shoot as it's supposed to. Any suggestions? Also, I'm not finding a model number, where might it be?
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Since you knew enough to replace the recoil spring, we can rule out the usual troubles due to improper disassembly.

Two possibilities come to mind, one being that the extractor is frozen/stuck/dirty and is not moving easily so the slide is stopped just short of battery. The solution is to remove the extractor and clean the heck out of the slot and the spring tunnel.

The second is that those frames (like the Colt Woodsman) are pretty thin and will bend if looked at hard. That is the first thing I check when a slide sticks. Correcting that problem is tricky and it is easy to do some real damage, so proceed carefully.

Jim
  3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Clean the living daylights out of it, and check for burrs on the slide with a Q-tip.

What ammo are you using??

Winchester ammo tends to be slightly larger than normal, for some reason.

And stick to Standard Velocity Ammo...High & Hyper velocity will eventually damage the weapon.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

Both Jim K and Big Shrek are correct in their ideas but I am suspect that when you replaced the recoil spring you cut it too short from the spring stock you made it from. The recoil spring should be totally collapsed when looking at it with the slide off. If you can move the recoil spring guide plunger forward very much at all past the flat spring catch that you operate with the button on top the slide it is too short. Also changing the recoil spring in a H-D is no easy chore, my hat is off to you.

The model number is just "H-D Military".

Ron
  5. WYO36

WYO36 New Member

Thanks for the feedback! It's time to get my hands dirty and get this figured out. It shoots like a dream, when working! I really want to take my kids out and shoot it. I'll definitely stay away from the High Velocity ammo; didn't think about it.
  6. zomborama

zomborama New Member

Also check out the disassembly and assembly video I created on Youtube. It might be helpful.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012