My Grandsons first Elk

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by fyimo, Sep 30, 2009.

1. fyimo

fyimo New Member

My Grandson Jimmy got his first Elk at 14 years old. His Dad put him in for the first ever Kentucky Youth Elk hunt and he drew. It was quite the deal as a guy from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation came in a guided for him. He got it on opening day in a blinding rain storm at 10AM. He had passed on a really nice 5X5 and a couple of smaller bulls before taking this 6X6. He used a H&R 300 Ultra Rifle in 270 Win that I gave his dad a few years ago. The gun has a FN Mauser barrel action and a Fajen stock and they were marketed by H&R during the 60's. :)

[​IMG]
  2. Sandman

Sandman Member

Nice bull!
  3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    One proud grandpa:)
    The boy becomes a man:cool:
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Oh dang, my mouth is watering now!!! Nice bull, pretty good mass on the rack too. Looks like he got a good shot to the lungs and vitals. Great Shot and Great post!! :cool:
  5. kingchip

kingchip New Member

I guess it would be foolish to ask if there are elk in Kentucky. Nice Bull !!
  6. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Congratulations on a good shot and a nice bull! That will make some good eating.
  7. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

I agree with the good eating. But I think the memories will be there long after the meat is consumed.:D He will never again get his first Elk. Great memories there,hopefully grandpa and dad were close enough to at least hear the shot. Congratulations to all involved. I remember very vividly my sons first Elk. One shot one kill. Yea I was proud then just as I am now. Way to go young man. catfish
  8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Awesome!! I'd love to get an elk. He looks like he had a great time too! You may have started something now.
  9. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I wanted to thank you for your comments. My son Jim dropped the rack and cape off at the taxidermist and the guy said he would repair the broken brow tine that the bull broke in a fight with a bigger bull.

I just threw and Elk roast in the slow cooker with potato, carrots, and onions.
  10. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

That is one great family story. It is nice to see familys passing on the Hunting heritage. what a great bull and what great memorys. Congrats to your grandson and best of luck in the future.
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

That's awesome for your grandson. Glad he had such a good opportunity.
  12. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Like I said earlier. The memories will last as long as the young man lives and if its like my son's first Elk. The stories will only get better with age.:D I have about decided to go collect an Elk this year but need to check the freezer (meaning the wife will check the freezer and re-arrange things) to see if we have room. Again congratulations. I'm very happy for you and your family. catfish