My Humble .22lr Pistol Collection

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BadWool, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BadWool

BadWool Former Guest

[​IMG]

Pictured above are my Colt Woodsman, Smith & Wesson Model 22A with 5.5" barrel, and Ruger SR22.

The Colt Woodsman was purchased from a co-worker a few years back for $25.00. I honestly had no clue what it was at the time and for that matter he didn't either.

The S & W Model 22A was a birthday gift last year, it is a great shooter but a little hefty for casual plinking. It actually makes my Ruger SR9 look miniature.

The SR22 was just recently purchased and I think it is a sweet little pistol. It counters the hefty size of the S & W Model 22A and is what I wanted as a backup to my SR9.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF BadWool.
    Nice pistols! I've been lookig at the Ruger SR22 myself for a while. Never owned one of the S&W's but have shot one on several occasions and liked it, it held good groups.
  3. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

Have to second your opinion on the SR22, after about 3500 rounds I and everybody I hand it too, loves it.
  4. skullfr

skullfr New Member

really nice.
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would love to find a Colt Woodsman for $25.00.....wow.
  6. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

Very nice!22's are my favorite caliber.Old and new.How does that SR-22 shoot?
  7. BadWool

BadWool Former Guest

Thank you for the welcome, I like it here so far and hope to be around for some time to come!

It was stupid luck on my part. I was not aware of the Woodsman model or it's history at the time I bought this one. My co-worker was selling off a big part of his collection and this little number caught my eye because of the resemblance to a Luger. That and the fact that it says Colt on the side told me to pick it up. It wasn't until 2 years ago when I finally decided to research exactly what I had that I learned it's true value and history. Based on the serial number it was manufactured in 1919, which limits me to the use of standard velocity ammo.

I have only put 30 rounds down range with the SR22 so far but it shoots nicely. Out of the box the sites are pretty spot on for hitting center mass at 20 yards, which is about as far as I would trust a 3.5" barrel hitting consistently. This is my Bond, James Bond, rimfire.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  8. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Welcome Badwool!
    Just got a S&W 22A a few months ago. Great little gun.
    The only problem is the grip screws keep coming out. I lost one last week, so S&W is sending me a new set. I guess I'm going to have to use some Loc-tight or something.
    Do you have the same problem with yours?
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Badwool welcome to the forum.
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice collection, especially the Woodsman. Welcome to the forum.
  11. BadWool

BadWool Former Guest

No, my grips are still holding tight. I like how solid it feels and it has nice groupings on paper. I am still on the fence about keeping the holographic sight on it though.

Thank you for the welcomes everyone!
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's what I liked about the S&W, whenever I got a chance to get'me hands on the pistol:(. Got to shoot it about every other weekend.
    Liked the feel of it.
  13. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

new here but not to the 22s , had to jump in and commend you on that colt , i love the old ones and i am always fond of the ones that saw a lot of use , it endeers them to me ,

i have a pre-woodsman that i dont shoot often , but always use low power sub-sonics in her

[​IMG]
  14. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

lucky guy,, wish i had a woodsman to add to mine,,,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  15. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

That Woodsman looks like it could use some love...blueing is Gone...but still worthy of a polish :)
    Hrm...wonder if Colt would reblue it for a fee??

Oldfartrr - is that a High Standard Duramatic on the bottom left??
    and an AMT Automag II on top left??
  16. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

shrek,, yes they are,, u got a good eye, and the derringer is also high standard 22mag.
    love them all, and fun to shoot. the only one bought brnd new was the buckmark. bought the others at pawn shops over 10yrs ago before the stupid calif safty gun laws (put a few shops out of business) killed the used handgun market of old guns. :(
  17. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I had an AMT like that and It was kick ass pistol....was actually my carry pistol in college.
  18. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

it is a fun lil gun,, love to play with her. (when can find the ammo here in "whackazoid land" found her in a pawnshop for $75 about 10 yrs ago, almost felt like i stole it. and looked brand new.
  19. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I used to love to tell people at the range "it's just a .22" because it doesn't sound like one...WOW $75 dollars!! you did steal that...good for you!!
  20. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Those old AMT's had a hangup...you had to clean 'em religiously to get 'em to work right...
    and even then half of 'em were headachey...

But keep it clean and use Quality ammo in there...should keep running for years!!

High Standard of Texas now owns AMT, so you are in-house with all of 'em ;)

I've got an old HS Model B, it is simply the most precise pistol I've ever owned!
    They made 'em RIGHT in the old days!!