My Hunting Truck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76Highboy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is my 1976 F-250 Highboy (hint, my user name, 76Highboy), 460c.i. The dyno on this engine shows 211 hp and 302 fp off the rear tires. It does not sound like alot except that is after power loss through two drive lines (the transfer case is unmarried so there is an extra drive line), the standard 4 spd tranny, a gear driven t-case, and then pushing 35" tires. This engine is exactly what I wanted for hunting and the stuff I do. I did not want a race truck. I wanted a puller, and that is what it does. 300+fpt at your rear tires is just awesome. What a lugging truck.The motor has about 2500 miles on it. New items include tranny and clutch, drive lines, all u-joints, all front and rear axles are new except for the diffs, new brakes (including drums and rotors) including master cylinder, power booster and even brake lines. Also new high capacity radiator, alternator, starter, battery and Warn locking hubs (BECAUSE SOMEONE STOLE MY FACTORY SPICER HUBS AND I WOULD HAVE RIPPED THEM APART HAD I HAVE CAUGHT THEM), and shocks. I had the engine professionally built, but I have done everything else. It will nail 100+ mph quick. It gets +/-12mph. I have had it for about 10 years now. It’s a solid truck. Jim
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

wanna buy a set of Thorley headers for it?
  3. 76Highboy

I appreciate the offer. The exhaust is in great shape, and for now I am running the stock manifold and dual exhaust. I have a personal goal to get bmy home paid off (in about 5 years). After that, it will get a new exhaust beginning with headers. Right now, it all works great and with the dent and crummy paint, it's at it's best because I can take it out and have fun without any worries of hurting it. Jim
  4. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

it's not crummy paint, it's "experienced".
    kind of like a middle aged man, knows what to do and how to do it along with the willingness and ability to do it at any time. just like my 68 GMC. can haul anything from a gallon of milk up to 5200lbs. of cast iron. is reliable enough to either go to my job or drag a 67C30 dump bed on a trailer for 400 miles. it's just as welcome at the local market as it is perusing the gravel roads searching for a new pheasant spot or flying down the interstate at 80MPH.

can you tell I like old trucks?
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Cool Jim
    I bought a new highboy when they came out.
    1973 F-250 Seafoam Green/Wimbledon White top
    Yours brings back the memories........:cool:
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like it. Reminds me of the ol warhorse. My ol dodge. I sold it this past oct. to a good friend of mine who just had to have it. I miss it.
  7. 76Highboy

I rasied my daughter by myself (moma didn't pay child support, but she livd better than us). I can remember not having good shoes but taking her to the store and getting her shoes. It made me feel proud. Can you imagine how proud I was when I bought her her first deer rifle, a Remington 243. We went out shooting and after we were done, she drove the truck through the desert. I mean she drove that thing anywhere she wanted. There's been alot of ice cream dropped in that truck. Now she's all grown up and I thought, fix the old truck up. So I have been and I love it. Great therapy. I get alot of gun guys that like the 44 mag reciever hitch. Yep, I'm a Redneck. I think I'll drive it to church today.
  8. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Highboy - Love your set of wheels. Ive always been a Ford truck man, and they broke the mold when they dropped the D44 solid axle trucks after 1979. Ive owned 4 of em, and plan to put another together some day. The first was a 1979 F150 Custom 4x4 351M C6 that I used for years till the cross members started to go. I also had a 1979 Bronco with the same drivetrain, and a snow plow on it. I once pushed about 2 feet of snow uphill, half way up my drive, until it started to spin and I realized it was in low range, but I had never locked the hubs! What a tank. I also had a 1979 F150 Lariat 2x with a 300 C6 and air/tilt. Finally, I decided after owning a couple other 4x pickups that I was never happy with any of em, after owning the 79, so I tracked down a 78 F150 Custom that the guy I got it from had swapped a 429 into. His idea of a "swap"
    however, left a lot to be desired. He took a 1971 Mercury station wagon motor, and dropped it in. Literally! He left the front sump oil pan on it and welded the lower plate of the motor mounts to the 150 frame towers! Then to finish it off, he sprayed it with a couple layers of "liberated" PA Rail Road white box car paint. What a beauty! The sheet metal was in great shape, and the motor and complete drivetrain was in pretty good shape so I bought it, and "started." Changed the oil pan to one from a 460 Econoline (which required me to change the oil pump, pickup, and add the bearing cap tether to the pickup tube,) switched out the motor mounts for 428 66 Tbird mounts (yeah the block is different, but that motor mount works!), changed out the steering shaft, as the double uni next to the rag joint was loose enough to rattle. I put about $200 in parts into the front axle - retaining the axle, brakes, hubs and gears, and replacing all the bearings, ujoints, seals, etc. as well as the steering dampner and all 4 shocks with Rough Countrys. I put F250 camper special club cab 460 Moogs on the front and F250 leaves on the back, and added a tranny cooler to the C6. That thing was an absolute monster. It wasnt a "fast" truck but it would pull anything. I once pulled my 1955 MF Backhoe outta a ditch it wouldnt crawl out of, with it! Enjoy your truck, and keep workin on it, cause NOTHING they make today even comes CLOSE!