My latest .22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by raveneap, Oct 8, 2009.

1. raveneap

raveneap New Member

This past Monday I ordered a new S&W Model 63-4. Wednesday my lgs called to say it was in. Here it is, ready for its frst outing this coming Sunday, weather permitting. (Forecast is for SNOW showers possible on Monday.) :( Date code on box indicates it's just 10 days old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. pawn

pawn Active Member

nice looking revolver, enjoy your pistol :D
  3. quarksrealm

quarksrealm New Member

Nice! Don't dryfire or it'll end up looking like this.
    7.jpg
  4. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Took it out as planned and it was great. Smooth, accurate and fun. Can't ask for more. Got some Hogue cocobolo's coming for it and a DS-J8 speedloader & block.
  5. red14

red14 Active Member

I have one that looks just like it, love it, great balance.
  6. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Hey, nice gun! I love my S&W's.

Why would dry firing a revolver effect the cylinder, Quarksrealm? Why would it effect anything but the firing pin, if that? I've been told by professional shooters to dry fire at will to build shooting skills, that it won't damage the gun. And these are people who have dry fired their guns thousands of times a day for years on end practicing for competitions and who are considered "experts".
  7. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Nice looking revolver. I'd put some nice wood grips on it if it were mine. TJ
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

On a centerfire gun, dry firing will usually do nothing. The firing pin will fall harmlessly in the middle of the empty chamber. (There are some notable exceptions to this, but I can't remember any off hand. Maybe the CZ-52?)

In a rimfire gun, on the other hand, the firing pin is designed to hit on the rim of the cartridge to crush it and thereby ignite the primer. This means that the firing pin will not fall harmlessly on empty space but will instead strike metal and leave little burrs like those shown in Quarksrealm's picture.

Good question. :)
  9. quarksrealm

quarksrealm New Member

Thank You for answering that question.

I did go and have this revolver repaired and the problem with getting the gun loaded no longer exists. When the gunsmith handed me the gun back his exact words were " Try not to dry fire it anymore, Don't know if it will be able to be repaired again".

Go ahead and dry fire your rimfire revolver if you need to practice, just keep it loaded with EMPTY casing's. This way the firing pin hits the casing and not the metal. His words, not mine.
  10. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Good to know. Thanks for answering the question. Not having a rimfire revolver, I wasn't aware of that, but as I plan to get one, I'm glad I learned!
  11. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

That looks like an H&R revolver, what model? I have one, but it's a .38 S&W so I don't have that problem. My S&W mod. 18 doesn't do that, but I keep my thumb on the hammer so it doesn't hit. No problem with my Rugers. TJ
  12. quarksrealm

quarksrealm New Member

It"s an Ivers Johnson 22lr 9 round supershot. Made beteween 1929-49. Seen its day, but i like it.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  13. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Hey guys;
    That warning goes for ALL rimfire firearms, as the same will happen whether it be rifle or pistol or revolver.
    Do not dry fire "rimfires" period.
    I had a fellow bring in his Beretta flip-top model that was so bad it would not fire most of the time as the gouges had become so deep the firing pin could no longer strike the rim to ignite the primer.

Good topic and hopefully it will prevent the damage to another gun.

UF
  14. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

I'll take your advice, Uncle Fud. I don't dry fire as a habit anyway, but this just reinforces my belief. Thanks TJ
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  15. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

Beautiful new revolver! Are you planing on scoping it?