My longest shot.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

A few years ago down in Hamilton Texas I had a good deer lease (1100 acres). I set me up a deer stand I had built with sliding windows and cushioned gun rest. I fed out an area about 100 yards out in front of the stand. I purchased a bottle of doe piss and poured it all over my hunting boots and walked all around it the high grass to spread the scent. Out in front of my stand was a hill top about 300 yards away. Late one afternoon I spoted a eight point buck standing on top of the hill. I hunt with a Win. 300 mag. with a gold ring leupold scope. I took a careful aim and droped the buck at 300 yards away. My shot hit him just behind the front legs.
    This was my longest hunting shot I've ever made. I wish you guys would post your best shots, it makes for some really good reading.
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My one boy once killed a moose at 800 yards or better with my one 7 mag; was back around 96-97. He was sitting on a rock ledge up on Wishbone Butte in the MatSu when he saw a bull with a few cows clear across a creek valley up on the top of nx hill in a clearing. He aimed first shot about 2 foot above the bull's head and missed then raised up 5-6 feet and dropped it on the spot. Took us 2 days to get all of it packed out and I know for sure I don't have any family members that would ever shoot one up there ever again.

I've killed moose and caribou at 4-5 hundred yards several times up on our summit and shooting across the Yukon; quite common in Alaska. The first year I got here back in early 90's, I actually passed on a bull between 55-60 inches that was 400 yards cause I thought it was too far to shoot; then I never saw that bull ever again. I learned my lesson that day. We shoot at everything now, no matter how far it is within reason, and no joke 500 yards don't seem very far at all where we hunt. I use a 30-378 nowadays but also killed a caribou at 550 yards with a 6.8 stag last season.

My one buddy missed a nice grizz at 900-1000 yards with a 30-378 this past hunting season.

Most times when you are shooting way off, the caribou herd don't even know they are being shot at anyway. So I don't know much about best shots, but we have made some long ones over the years. Something else, couple years back we started hunting with AR's. Sure is nice having a gun with a 10 round clip that don't rip your arm off so you can keep shooting as you raise on up some.

My nephew got back from Afghanistan and came up to go get a moose. I gave him my 338 fed AR-10 and within 1/2 hour I had pointed him out a bull at about 400 yards,(now that's some luck for sure) and he got it his first shot. He was hoopin and hollarin, over his first moose; was too cool.

When I lived back east, we'd shoot at fox way off we kicked out in drives, but rarely at deer more than couple hundred yards; as we were pretty much hunting in woods. Different in Alaska.

I can't think of anymore right now,ha Thank God. I want to hear all you guys long shots.
  3. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

My longest shot and proably my luckiest was on a Coyote. I was shooting a male coyote with a H R handy rifle in 243. Acording to a Lica range finder the shot was 580 yards. Useing fire wood for a rest I hit him with the first shot he ran maybe 30 yds.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

400 on a squirrel with my 220 swift

450 On a ground hog with my 700 VLS in 223

375 on a ground hog with my AR-15 in 223
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My best is 220 yds with a .22LR, the beast was a female cottontail. I was sighting in my new PFI scope and she wandered out from behind the 250 yd dirt pile and hopped toward me half way between 250 and 200. I held the top of her ears in the 200 yd crosshair in the scope and applied the second windage mark on that aiming point. The 40 gr solid struck her mid body and killed her instantly. And the bullet took a full 2 or 3 seconds to get to her it seemed.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    New Mexico, 135 yards with a .357 mag for my first deer kill. Only deer I ever had to shoot twice and I will not shoot at any critter over 100 yards with a handgun now. I also use a larger more powerful caliber now but that .357 was my deer gun for 26 years.
  7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

An older friend of mine told me;

a deer so far away the bullet didn't hit him til the next day...
    a bear so big he needed licenses from two states to make him legal...
    a fish so big the water went down a foot when he brought him into the boat...
    a moose so big the picture weighed two pounds...
  8. herohog

herohog New Member

.303 Eddystone P-14 Enfield, Stock action and barrel, custom stock and a cheap 9x scope, mil surplus cordite ammo.
    2 liter pop bottles at 300 meters. 75% average hit ratio.
    There was a very audible pause between the hammer fall and the cordite igniting! (click!...Boom!)
  9. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I sure as hell would not want to mes with you if you can shoot a deer at 135 yards with a pistol. WOW
  10. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Now you really crack me up.
  11. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I have shot Moose in AK from well in excess of 500 yds on more occasions than not. That, like Zhurh has said is actually very, very common. My neighbor at the time, back in 2001 shot a Brown bear at close to 750 yds, and wouldnt let me live it down! The next season I made my longest shot... EVER. I had an enormous moose in the hairs, and the reticle was only good for 500 yds. I held a solid 5ft above where the 500 yd. dot was tellin me to shoot...and let the hammer fall. Knowing I'd prolly have at least another shot or two if I wasnt too close. The same neighbor was on it with a spotting scope, and the first thing he said when the trigger was released... AW... S@%T!!! The moose had just strated to drop, and bring his head around, while turning his body to a more straight on orientation. About 5 seconds later I had the animal in the scope again. The Moose was on its haunches, and then he was down. I had hit him just under his right eye, and the 200gr. Barnes X followed his arteries, and esophogus(destroying every las bit of soft tissue all the way down his neck, and the round almost settled right about in line with the top, foward edge of his left shoulder. The actual line of sight distance was hard to judge, as we were shooting across a river, from ridgeline, to ridgeline. Over 750 yds, according to the neighbors 400 dollar rangefinder, and my Garmin GPS says the two waypoints we plotted, were 2367 ft. apart.(LOS) Or right about 3/8 mile, or roughly 785 yds. But Adam, my old neighbor still hunts AK's Big Game, and he may have alll of us beat! He has taken a couple bears from 1000 yds. or better in the last two seasons. One will have a video to accompany the pics!
  12. holyjake79

holyjake79 New Member

I've shot and killed at least two muleys over 250 yards according to range finder. I shot at one at about 800 yards but never hit it. He gave me about 4 shots before he decided to go in the brush and hide out. Looking back I'm glad I missed several times, that would have been one hell of a drag.
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Chinook, Thanks for backing me up. You were born in Alaska, you know I ain't. Hate being called a liar when it's the simple truth. Just Back East ignorance, they never envision any shots further than 75 yards to begin with; houses, cars, and people everywheres you know. Glad I live right here in Alaska, with miles and miles of open country to practically call my own. Only regret is that I didn't come up here when I first got out of the military, no joke. Imagine if I had brought up all my long shot misses; been probably kicked off the site already. All I can do is tell story and post picts and live right here in my heaven Alaska.

There were a few guys from not far from you up this way in Sept. They watched these guys from Juneau killin moose every day and they were getting skunked. They had 30-378's, we started talking and came down the house to shoot off my bench. I clued them in some on places to spend time at and they started to hook up, got moose, caribou, and bear. You know, there are places you kill at and other places, never see a thing.

Chin, if ya ever want to come up hunt with us, here's a welcome to ya from fellow Alaskan. You can fly in from Fairbanks or drive in 200 miles on a rough road from Tok. Stay at our place and kill a moose and some caribou. Also get a bear & shoot a few wolves if ya want. PM me your phone number & address, will send ya some jerky nx time I fire up dehydrator. Between the wife and me and our kids, we got 3 moose, bunch of caribou, bear, and could have shot wolves almost every evening if I wanted to. Thanks again.
  14. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I got off two sounders in excess of 1000 yds. I thought I heard something! What! Don't even start with me.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

well not to brag or such but shots over 600 meters are common here ...

game get a fear of man and in the area's back home where you can see for miles you dont get a chance at closer unless your sit shooting , ( sit under a nice shade tree and wait for game to pass by )

nothing big here like bears or moose but lotsa roo's goats feral donkies, horses and camels

say what you all wish but i regularly shoot roo's out to 400 and goaties out to 600 meters and if just clearing feral pigs will shoot as far out as i can reach which is 800 plus , where i have moved to now it a lot heavier in the scrub so i dont get the long range shots i used to but 300-400 is still common , but seeing i've gone almost totally BP when not pelt shooting thats dropped to 150-200

but let me get this .338 up and working and we'll see what we can do long range again

already know the .416 is good to 1400 but thems be different stories ;)

different places need different skills , thats all

talk back in my army days and my practise range was 2000 meters which we shot at 800 1000 1200 and 1600 regularly and trust we put that practise to very good use against our opfor back when
  16. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Used to post 9" patterns at a grand with the M-21 during training sessions at 66E at Bragg.

That was with a scope though. I thought my best was one day while shooting with some friends, I had a scope failure. I finished the day busting sporting clays set up at about 350 with irons sights on my M1A-NM.
  17. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We have a 4th July shooting contest in our community. This guy & wife show up from Anch with their M1's and they make hitting those 12 inch targets at 800 yards look quite easy and they are consistent.
  18. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Jack, or anyone who has put lead downrange at targets over 1000yds... Besides humidity, temperature, wind, thremals, and all that other stuff... It appears as if the earth's rotation comes into play! I was reading a bunch stuff on-line about distance shooting, and heard that this is something to take into account if having fun at 1000-2000yds. More-so on the upper end of the spectrum. Do any of you ever have to take this into consideration when shooting that far?!

Jack and Zhurh, most Big Game hunters in the US have it a bit easier than the open ranges of those BIG places we are accustomed to prowlin! Aus, and AK, or TX come to mind! I grew up in the rainforests of AK, but we hunted the Yukon canyons. And you can glass as far as your scope will let you. Truly amazing when you can get positioned, and stabilized, while setting up on game at a quarter mile or better! You can start to see the curve of the earth when you have something in the crosshairs from that far!

Zhurh, I would love to get back up North, and harvest some meat for the freezer! I dont come that far North often, but I will make plans to do so next season! For sure! That is a great offer, and I promise I'd make it worth your while to have me in you families home for a little while! Your family sounds too good to be true, and all the pics, and stories I've heard have made me want to mosey up to your neck of the woods! PM sent sir!
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  20. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I only shoot east-west.:D:D:D