My longest shot.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Oct 23, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats a artillery factor for sure ( earths rotation ) but for a bullet i have seen the equation and its negligible as the round is inb the air for too short a time to be a real factor , a larger round thats more effected by gravity and the earths rotation sure .. but remember that a artillery round may be in the air for 30-40 seconds long range

2 seconds for a rifle shot at 1800 meters from muzzle to target at 990 mps avg and MV of 1400 MPS even running that through the calculator shows only 0.00002 RAS

thats like 3mm or 1/8th of a inch @ 1800 meters , if you can adjust for that your doing way better than i can

i've been a few millimeters outside the bull too many times
  2. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Thanks a lot for that Jack!
    Videos are excellent too! That event seems like a really neat Weekend!
    A 578 seems to be pretty durn'd good score! 'Specially when you are sending rounds at 1000m!

Yeah, I couldnt help but ask about the Earths rotation! To even read that some folks take it into account is amazing! And like Infidel said... It changes every degree you get off of 360/0, and it doesnt at all effect any shots made East to West, or vise-versa.(?) Still, something fun to read about I 'spose! Hahaha!
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

would be eh 'cept it didnt even land me in the top 10, not even close

the gent in the interview got 58 bulls i think i got 41 and the rest 9's and a 8

i'd use the excuse i'm getting old but these folks are all my age or older , dang..

thats 58 hits he got at 1000 meters ( 1093.613 yards or 3280.84 feet ) in the 4 " bullseye out of 60 shots

thats a head shot kill in anyones language
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

It would be a toss up between 820 yds on an Elk with a 7RUM or 380yds on a walking bobcat with a 7WSM.
  5. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Jack,

I sure am surprised that you shoot in a dress. :eek: :eek: :D :D Infidel indeed.

Seriously, nice shooting match. ;)
  6. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Reynolds! I have to ask, the bobcat on the move... What, if anything did you do to compensate for movement.

But the elk at 8+ is way impressive! I know the 7RUM will defenitely do the job! Thats a great shot you made!
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

The Bobcat was killing my Turkeys so it was one of those shoot at him and if I hit him, great, If I dont, Oh well. I dialed my elevation and put the first mil dot right of the cross hair on his head and I hit him in the shoulder. Not calculated, just guessed and got it right. I did not move with him. I set up and tapped the trigger when his head hit the dot.
  8. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Nice! Ive shot at crows from about a hundred yds or so, while they are doing their little "hop around" routine when they find food scraps. I just wait til their heads hit the dot, and let one go! I prolly get a few out of every ten that hop in range! Hahahaha!
  9. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I used to shoot crows until the Rabbit Sheriff got onto me about it. Shooting, or shooting at, moving critters is pretty fun.
  10. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Elk at 358yrds (with range finder) 1 shot through the neck 300 win mag. It was dead before it hit the ground.
  11. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

Can’t hunt deer with a rifle in Ohio; don’t even own one and I have yet had the occasion to hunt with a rifle elsewhere so this is shot gun, muzzleloader and bow distances:

120 yards on a deer with my Mossberg 500 rifled barrel shotgun with a Remington 2 ¾” sabot slug and a tasco scope in an open field. I was on one end of the field and the deer was sneaking across the back end of the other. Aimed a bit above the deer and hit it just below the spine and it dropped and died on the spot.

200 yards on a deer with my CVA .50 caliber muzzloader loaded with 110 grains of powder and a .50 caliber 250 grain SST/ML hornady bullet and tasco scope. In wooded setting and I aimed and hit just behind the shoulder. Deer went 30 yards and dropped.

55 yards with my PSE compound bow on a deer in an open field set. Carbon arrow with 100 grain broad head and bow set @ 63lbs. Hit it in the sweet spot and deer ran 40 yards and dropped just inside the wood line of the field.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

300 yds with my 7 mag, that zombie target never knew what hit it.
  13. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I'm in Michigan and my farthest shot has been 150 yards. That's actually far in mi!
  14. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I got a 'yote at (guesstimated) 650 yards. Took four shots to walk it in but the final hold over was 4 ft. with a 7mm r.m. I was so far away he just kind of milled around wondering wtf?

I killed a nice blacktail 3 X 4 at 326 yards with my .300 win mag and a 130 gr. TTSX handload. BOY, did that make a mess out of him. From the entry to the exit his insides were pudding. He still ran about 80 yards before collapsing.

Numerous ground squirrels out to 400 yards or better.

One hog through the neck, running to beat hell, at 375 yards. THAT was a lucky shot. I led him about 30 feet as he was tearing down the hill to the thick stuff. He was DRT.
  15. hunte567

hunte567 New Member