My new 357

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Thomas_1, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

Just got back from purchasing my Xmas present. It’s a S&W 357 model 28-2 w/6 inch barrel. It has Highway Patrolman marked on it also. The gun is in excellent condition and came with a wood box and papers. There’s no wear on the finish and no play in the cylinder. I paid $316.00 for it. The number on it is M26716. Has anybody heard of this model?

Tom……
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Congrats on the purchase Thomas
  3. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Actually yes, My grandpa has the same exact model. It was the first pistol I ever shot. His is extremely accurate. As far as hitting soda cans, just aim close to it, the force from the .357mag round will blow the can in the air. I don't reccomend making the mistake of shooting this revolver without ear protection. Generally we just shoot .38's in it. He has owned this gun since before I was born and bought it second hand from my uncle. I am 20 years old.

As for history of the model itself. Word has it that the Arizona Highway Patrol was most known as carrying it back in the 70's and 80's until they phased out in preference of autoloaders. Not sure of what date.
  4. southernshooter

Yo Thomas post some pictures and a range report.
  5. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Excellent gun, Tom. You'll enjoy it. But take heed to the warning about ear protection! :)
  6. You made an excellent choice, Thomas! Those Mod 28 N-Frames are very fine weapons. I have one myself, with a 4-inch barrel, that I bought nearly 30 years ago. It still shoots as well as the first time I shot it.
  7. lead

lead Active Member

N frame S&W's are becoming very highly sought after collecter items around here. With the wood box and papers, and the condition you describe, most shops would have that priced closer to $500.
    They were some of the best revolvers S&W made. Hang on to it. It will only go up in value.
  8. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

Took awhile to figure out how to do a image, but I got it. Hopefully it turns out ok I had to resize it.

Attached Files:

• 123.JPG
      123.JPG
      File size:
      160.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I got one! Sweet gun, I use it for IDPA. With the nice Hogue wood grips I put on it, It is a real good shooter. Mine was in very good condition, when I bought it last year for $425. I had a trigger job done. Love shooting it. Good deal you got! :)
  10. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Looks just like my Grandpa's except he doesn't have the box anymore and the condition of the finish shows the gun was put to use not kept in a velvet lined box. I sure hope my grandpa leaves me his, however I have a feeling that my Uncle will snag it before I have a say. As far as this particular weapon, I would imagine it would be worth much more than you paid for it. The longer you keep it in this condition, the more it will be worth. Congrats on your new purchase!
  11. southernshooter

Good looking gun Thomas
  12. abe

abe New Member

Yeah, when my grandads died and my dad died, I don't recall any of my wonderful relatives asking me if I wanted anything of theirs. You might keep an eye on things when that day comes. :D
  13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

.357 mags are great, one of the best calibers in my opinion. It is even a good short range rifle round.
  14. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Thomas, you stole the gun at that price. Congratulations.