My "new" baby.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by zfk55, Mar 15, 2011.

1. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Best trade I've made in a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its been converted to .41 Swiss centerfire. :D
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It has been reblued also, but a very nice job (rust blue) and looks great. Now how do you get or make ammo for it?

Jim
  3. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Swiss Veterli service rifle. With tube mag. Originaly chambered for .41 Swiss rim fire. *1870's to early 1880's era
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The first Vetterli was adopted by Switzerland in 1869, and they went through several models (that one is a Model 1878) before being phased out in favor of the Schmidt-Rubin in 1889. The Vetterli magazine system is basically that of the Henry-Winchester, but adapted to a bolt action rather than to a lever action.

The service round was the 10.4x38R, commonly called the .41 Swiss in the U.S. It is a rimfire, but there is a center-fire version. The former is hard to find and obviously is not reloadable; the latter (at least in the U.S.) is almost unknown. Conversion involves replacing the dual pin striker with a single central pin and drilling the bolt to accommodate the new striker.

Jim
  5. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Jim, its absolutely not reblued. We know the collector very well, but it is a natural metal restoration of chemical metal cleaning and stock point steaming and deep cleaning. The stock was recoated with a light BLO rub.
    The conversion is from a rimfire to a center fire by drilling the bolt face and using a collar/retainer for the firing pin in place of the horseshoe.

The mold is a Lee .41 swiss mold, and the dies are also from Lee in .41 Swiss.
    The brass is 8mm Lebel that is trimmed and then fire formed. The cast projectile is a 330gr hardcast.

This one will also be a hBN slurry coated bore and impact coated projectiles. The bullets are a BHN of 19 and more than hard enough for impact coating.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  6. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

The process......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The firing pin hadn't been sized for length yet. The original wasn't used. A new one was fabricated and now we're making them out of Teflon.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't know what "a natural metal restoration of chemical metal cleaning" is, but the difference in color between the receiver/barrel and the bolt shroud and rear sight led me to think the receiver and barrel had been reblued. It is also odd to have that amount of stock wear with such a pristine receiver. As I say, I don't know what "a natural metal restoration of chemical metal cleaning" is, but it sure seems to work; mine don't look that good.

The Lebel case should work OK. You can still find some Boxer primed US Lebel ammo around.

Jim
  8. Phshmx-1

Phshmx-1 New Member

Any Ruger fans out there? Just purshaced my new Ruger P345 auto. I have many handguns, but I must say this is the best Ruger I have ever owned. Light weight and comfortable with the grip. Hardly any kick back and smooth trigger.Fired 150 rounds at 30 yards in three different sights; very accurate; center mag 142 rounds from 150. A must have I feel.
  9. RJay

RJay Active Member

Phshmx-1, just curious? what does your post on Rugers have to do with the above rifle??? :), It is one thing to high -jack a thread, but with a completely different subject??? Start a new thread on the Center fire pistol forum.:D
  10. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Jim, I'll get the exact process tomorrow.
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Don't know much about 'em, but that is a really nice looking rifle! Some weapons just look like art!
  12. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few pics of original rim fire ammo. The last image is of a small sealed tin box of ammo sent home with each Swiss National Guardsman for use in an emergency. The Swiss have a long tradition of keeping military arms in each home ready to go.
  13. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

I did some research on one of these prior to not buying it and read somewhere that there is an extra firing pin that can be found by removing the butt plate--wonder if that's true--not worth buggering a screw though....
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I got this box of 20 blanks at a junk shop for $10. I wonder what they were used for - I can't even remember a movie with a Swiss Vetterli.

They won't feed through the magazine, though, as they are too short. Like the Henry/Winchester magazines, the Swiss rifle has no shell cutoff, so there is very little leeway on cartridge overall length.

Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  15. captjack6

captjack6 New Member

Thanks for sharing, beautiful rifle
  16. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Congrats Z, nice firearm!
  17. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I too love old military firearms and that one is a beauty.