My new CZ Trainer.....

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Tony Mig, May 23, 2008.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Don't you just hate it when you walk into the gun shop just to pick up a couple boxes of ammo, and your buddy who works behind the counter says...."Hey check out what we just got in today"......:eek:

Well this happened to me, and my buddy behind the counter handed me a new CZ 452-2E-ZVM...(a.k.a. The Trainer)....with an absolutely beautiful beechwood stock. I took the bait, he set the hook, and now I have yet another fine bolt action .22Lr rifle that I have to hide in the garage from prying eyes of the female kind.......:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked it up this past Monday, and plan to shoot it this coming Sunday, I'll post a range report after the first test flight......
  2. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

Tony:

I also picked up a new 452 Trainer yesterday. Question - How smooth does the bolt action feel? I know this is subjective, but my rifle's bolt action does not seem extremely smooth and I have to use extra force to finish the bolt action. I am new to bolt actions, so maybe this is normal and just a break in issue. I have cleaned the rifle and given it a coat of oil. Anyway, your experience would be helpful. Thanks
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

Tony & Paradox, I need a full range report. I almost bought one today at the gun show. Instead I bought a Ruger Charger. Its going to be a fun gun, after I work on the trigger. :(
    Anyway let us know how they shot. Hows the trigger? (as you can tell, I like clean triggers. lol) :)
    I like the military look of the Trainer and will get one sooner or later.

Edit:
    Turned out to be sooner. :D :D

Art
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  4. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

I was able to fix the rought bolt action on my new rifle. I got some great advice from rimfirecentral.com. I polished the underside of the firing pin where the sear rides and now the action is very smooth. Haven't shot the rifle yet, but am very much looking forward to.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

Well I've joined the ranks of the unfired CZ Trainers club. :D
    I thought about it overnight, and said heck with it. It was to good to pass up, $270 pre tax. I'm glad I went back. :)

Art
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

$270.00 even pre tax is a very good price, I paid $329.00 for mine, but I also learned since posting this, that my rifle is the Special Trainer, I suppose this has something to do with them using a more select grade of wood for the stock, other than that....it's a trainer just like everyone else's.....

[​IMG]

I got to shoot mine this past Sunday, and I'am both pleased and impressed with the function and performance of this rifle. I shot strictly iron sight, and at 50 yards shooting the RFC open iron sight benchrest match (NRA A23-5 target) I scored a 179-4x using Federal Champion Target (714) ammo, and I scored a 187-2x using Aquila Golden Eagle's.

I also shot some groups at 25 yards...(again strictly with the stock open iron sights).....I was able to manage a 5 shot group of .404" with the Federal 714's, and one measuring .499" with the Aquila GE's....
    I also shot some 4 round groups, and the big surprise of the day came with Remington Subsonics with one group measuring in at .246".....(that's less than 1/4" at 25 yards with stock iron sights, and on it's first time ever shooting, imagine what this rifle will do once it is broken-in)......;)

The action is buttery smooth, it is just a little tight at lock-up, and depending on what ammo I was using at the moment, it was a little tighter with the Aquila GE's than it was with the Federal or Remington ammo.

Before hitting the range, I did take it apart, cleaned it real good, oiled, and adjusted the trigger all the way out. The trigger is just a smidge heavier than the one on my Weatherby Mk XXII, but very acceptable in my book.....

I plan to eventually transfer a set of high see-thru groove mount rings and my Weaver V-16 scope onto this rifle, but the stock iron's will remain in place as this rifle will be used for our club's 3-P iron sight rifle matches, and I will be shooting the RFC 50 yard open iron benchrest match every month with it too. The rings are quick-detachables, so I can set it up, clamp it on, or unclamp it as I want.

Again....I couldn't be happier with this new CZ Special Trainer....

You other guys need to get out there and shoot those rifles.....:D
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

Tony, impressive shooting!! This is good to hear. I have the same rifle,same stock. I also backed off on the trigger spring. Today I ordered a new trigger spring of lighter weight from Brownells.
    Its a Automation Solutions "lightweight trigger spring" part # 100-001-168AA
    Price $6.72
    It reduces pull to 2 pounds or less.

I'll be shooting mine tomorrow. I had to order rings as I couldn't find any local that would clear the rear sight. Iron sights ought to be fun for my old blind self. :D

Art
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  8. whip

whip Member

I bought a CZ trainer three years ago and have been extremely impressed with the gun. It will shoot groups under 1/2 inch with even cheap .22 ammo. I put a scope on mine and love everything about it except the fact that the extra mags for the gun run nearly $40. I use it shooting ground squirrels around here for the next month and the only draw back is the 5 shot mag doesn't hold enough shells for the attack of the ground squirrels!!!! Mine is the standard trainer and it cost$219 four years ago through Walmart on a special order basis. The trigger is ok I would like to hear how the spring you ordered works out for the trigger.
  9. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Whip....I also have a Weatherby Mk XXII, and the extra mags for those are also $40.00 each. One of the members at Rimfire Central posted a link to Brownell's for inexpensive replacement mags that fir all rifles based on the Anschutz 64 action, that would include the Weatherby as well as several models marketed by Savage. The mags were only $10.50 each...so I ordered 4 of them.

As for this CZ, I will mostly shoot it with the stock iron sights, and feed it one round at a time, so I'm not in any hurry to buy extra mags for it. I'm hoping that in time someone will market replacement mags at a much lower cost, if and when that happens I'll jump on a few, but I'm hard pressed to shell out 40 bucks for a little 5 round mag for anything.......(I'm cheap that way).....;)
  10. bloc

bloc New Member

I bought a CZ 452 Silhouette a couple of years ago which, as far as I can tell, is basically the garden variety 452 barreled action in a plastic stock. (I'd wanted an accurate .22 at a reasonable price, and reading around convinced me a CZ was that rifle. I bought mine used for about $280. It looked unfired.)

I put a Brooks trigger and a Nikon scope on it, bought a box each of several brands of .22 LR ammo, and took it off to the range.

It didn't particularly like any of the more expensive match ammo I tried, but it is an absolute tack driver with the cheap Federal Champion Ammo. (Cheap is good, accurate is good, but cheap and accurate are divine.)

It'll consistently put 5 shots in 0.5 inches (center to center) at 50 yards from the bench, and I have one 5 shot group framed above my computer that measures 0.25 (center to center). (At 100 yards, accuracy falls way off, though.)

I absolutely love mine.
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

Welcome to the forum Bloc.:)

I had a chance to shoot my 452 Trainer for the first time today at my local Sheriff Dept. range.
    I'm amazed at the accuracy of this rifle.
    Please note that my eyesight sucks. To be able to see my target I can't wear my glasses to see my sights. :D
    The below 5 shot groups were shot at 25 yards using iron sights. They were shot from a bipod on a bench using a bunny eared rear bag.
    I did not clean the rifle between different ammo types

The Groups:
    5 shots at 25 yards.

Federal Gold Medal Match #900B

Group 1 - .240 center to center. 4 shots of this group measured .100" center to center.

Group 2 - .509

Group 3 - .387

3 Group Average : .378"

S K Jagd Match
    (this is the same as Wolf Match ammo. S K Jagd makes Wolf rimfire ammo. They are owned by Nammo who is the parent company of Lapua.)

Group 1 - .572"

Group 2 - .145" Smallest group of the day. This basically is a 1/8" group with iron sights

Group 3 - .229"

3 Group Average : .338"

Eley Target Rifle

Group 1 - .503"

Group 2 - .514"

Group 3 - .356"

3 Group Average : .457"

Remington Target #6100

Group 1 - .754" (This group had a called Flyer caused by operator error. :D)

Group 1 - .286" Without flyer.

Group 2 - .579"

Group 3 - .586"

3 Group Average : .639"

3 Group Average : .483" Without flyer.

I can't wait to see what this puppy will do with a nice scope.
    I'm now hooked on CZ rifles.
    This will not be good for the wallet. :eek: :p :D

Art
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  12. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Haven't had my CZ Trainer long enough to really make an honest judgement of it's relationship with the different types of ammo I have. But so far it does seen to get along with the Federal (standard velocity) Champion Target 714's, and that's a bonus since my Weatherby Mk XXII also does very well with that ammo.
    The jury is still out on the Remington Target, Aquila Golden Eagles, and CCI Standard Velocity....

I've also got a brick of Winchester T-22's on the way, and hopefully they'll be here by the weekend so I can try them out on Sunday......

artabr....I know what you mean about this not being good on the wallet, my credit card has way too many dents in it already, I gotta back off on the gun & scope purchases for a while and catch up.....:eek:
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

Whip, my trigger spring came today. With the new spring in and the adj. nut backed up all the way the pull now averages 2 lbs. 1.4 ozs. My old pull averaged 2 lbs. 15.8 ozs.
    My scope came in today (cheap 8x32x44 BSA, but hay it came with a Bore Sight kit :D). We'll have more fun Saturday.

Art
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

You may find some additional relief on the trigger by reducing either sear engagement, with a stone, or by reducing tension of the sear spring, on the sear.
    If you spot an extra mag fot the bolt gun, in .22LR, that Norinco used to import, the mags will interchange, as will nearly all the other parts.
  15. whip

whip Member

Thanks for the trigger update and the magazine information. I took my CZ trainer out this weekend for a little prairie rodent therapy. Started with my AR then switched to the CZ since there were hundreds of little rodents running everywhere. The CZ was shot for shot right on as I walked through the rodent town shooting them off hand. The rifle never missed but I occasionally didn't do my part. Only down side was having to reload the magazine so often. I shot up a 550 round Federal Value Pack and another hundred rounds of CCI Mini Mags in about 3 hours. My thumb was sore from loading the little magazine so many times. (Bet you all feel sorry for me!) Anyway what a tack driver I was hitting the little black eyes that were peeking over the edges of the burrows with regularity towards the end of my shooting time in rodentville. Prairie rodents from 10 to 100 yards fell to the CZ. The rancher was thrilled with the results and asked to check out my CZ. He immediately wanted one after a few rounds. The next time I visit this town I will need my AR or Model 700 22/250 as the rodents will be quite a bit wiser.