The Firearms Forum banner

My new grips

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  jack404 
#1 ·
After reading Woodnut's tutorial I decided to try to build my own set of grips. I had some laminate wood scraps that were big enough to use so I went with the laminate wood. Thanks to Woodnut for the excellent tutorial. It was very helpfull.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nicely done.

#5 ·
NICE ! Gave me a little boost of confidence; I'm going to try to make some for the P238 when I take some vacation this summer.

Some good detail work and nice finish on them !

#9 ·
Great job on your first set of grips. It looks to me that making grips isn't as easy as it seems but you did a fine job. If you had guidance from Woodnut then you had a very good teacher as he produces some of the nicest grips I have seen.

#11 ·
Pretty Sweet!

How 'bout a little history behind the grips?
I am not sure what you mean by a little history, but I can give you a few more details on making them. I started with a block of scrap of laminated wood I already had. I cut out the blanks on my table saw, drew the outline and cut the rough blanks with a band saw. The final shaping of the grips was then done with the help of a sanding drum that I attach in my wood lathe. I have different size drums so I can easily change diameter sanding rolls. Having power tools certainly speeds up the process but it could all be done with hand tools, sanding paper and patience. Finally the grips were sanded by hand and a final finished applied.

#12 ·
They look good. Woodnut is a good teacher. But, not taking credit away from you either. I doubt my first set would turn out as nice.

#15 ·
I am not sure what you mean by a little history, but I can give you a few more details on making them. I started with a block of scrap of laminated wood I already had. I cut out the blanks on my table saw, drew the outline and cut the rough blanks with a band saw. The final shaping of the grips was then done with the help of a sanding drum that I attach in my wood lathe. I have different size drums so I can easily change diameter sanding rolls. Having power tools certainly speeds up the process but it could all be done with hand tools, sanding paper and patience. Finally the grips were sanded by hand and a final finished applied.
That was exactly what I was looking for. Nice job!

#19 ·
Dang man if that is your first pair, you need to start building one right after the other. Those ore some nice grips. I know you don't need my help, but if you do, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Thanks for sharing those good looking grips. Keep posting.
Thanks for the compliment Woodnut, coming from you that means a lot!
You do amazing work.

#22 ·
if its not to dumb a question , how do you get the different colours to the separate layers ?
That's not a dumb question at all mate. There a few companies that manufacture this type of wood. They dye separate sheets of birch veneers different colors and then layer them, alternating the color. There is a bonding resin between each layer. They end up with a sheet of plywood a couple of inches thick. It is only when you start adding shapes and curves that the multiple colors come out.
The manufaturer of the wood I used on this project is Rutland Plywood Industries. You can check their website www.Rutply.com. Then click on Stratabond.
G'day

#23 ·
ok i've never seen coloured ply here except by orders from the US ,

i went looking after someone showed a beautiful keyhole stock made from these coloured laminated timbers but got the answer it'd have to come from the USA

i'll have to grab some when next in the US ( which may not be that far off)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.