My new little plinker...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Nolaphoto1, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

Ok on what started as a quest to help a friend research a .22 lever action, things took a little twist. When it comes to firearms, I don't necessarily want or have to have the coolest, baddest, or most intimidating firearm. I tend to make my gun purchases based on firearms I feel represent a place in history or those that I found myself fascinated by as a youngster. Well for the past couple of years I've been debating the merits of getting a little handy lever action rifle. As a child of the 70's and 80's I missed the whole western era of TV programming, so I never fancied a firearm from the era represented by those TV shows. But later as an adult more interested in history, I began to understand the significance of the contributions of J.M. Browning and his work with Winchester. Then an understanding of the role of carbines came to me. All of this led me to really begin wanting a lever action gun. While I would love to own an 1873, 1886, 1892, or 1894 Winchester, I wanted a gun that was affordable to purchase and ultimately shoot. So rather than spend a fortune on buying ammunition for a .45 Long Colt or other similarly expensive caliber, I thought this was a good opportunity to merge my new found desire for a lever action gun with the fun and economy of the .22LR. So, I bought the compact Browning BL-22.

I haven't shot it yet so I can't comment yet on accuracy or function. I can however tell you that the finish on this gun is amazing. The wood is so pretty, you don't want to even touch it because you know the fingerprints will show on the high-gloss finish. Both the bluing and wood are flawless. Depending on the weather, I may go to the range this weekend to put a few rounds through it. I want this to be a fun, little plinker, so I have no intention of putting a scope on it.

Attached Files:

2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

very nice let us know what happens at the range
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

nice pic !
  4. mranum

mranum Member

I've always had a thing for lever actions, in particular .22's. Sadly I had a very hard time justifying their costs. In the early '90's I finally decided that I was going to buy a new one. The Marlin was the most expensive thing out there at the time and was ruled out. It came down to the Browning or the Winchester 9422. I agonized over the choice but opted for the Winchester instead. Loved the look and feel of the Browning but the short throw action just never felt right for me. Heard nothing but good things about them though, I'm sure your gonna love it. :)
  5. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Looks great and that is one AMAZING photograph you took.
  6. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

Thanks. Photography is something I dabble in on the side.

I too made my way down the list of available lever action rimfires. Henry, Marlin, Browing...each had their advantage and sometimes a disadvantage. For the Henry, the painted receiver of unidentified material was an issue. While I know it has an outstanding reputation and following, I tend to want to know exactly what I am buying. In regards to the Marlin 39A, I loved how it felt in my hands...like a full size rifle. In fact I thought the gentleman behind the counter at the gun shop handed me a 30-30. However, I was put off by the numerous complaints about ejection issues. I own a Marlin model 60 and have enjoyed it for several years. I just didn't want to risk a bad experience it. So, since Winchester no longer makes the 9422, that left me with the little BL-22 from Browning. I say little because, well, it is a very compact firearm. In fact, I believe some will be put off by it's size. But, as a plinker, that is exactly what I was looking for... quick handling, easy to shoulder, compact, fun.
  7. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Let us know how it shoots. The problems with the Marlins seem to be negligence of the owners. My uncle has a Henry Golden Boy, the nicest brass I've ever seen. Just wondering, how many .22s does it hold in the tube?
  8. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

It'll hold 15 long rifle or 22 shorts.
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

AWESOME picture!
    And to say it's a "plinker"....Im not sure about that. More maybe on the side of a tack driver! :)
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I had the same rifle 20 years ago and it is awesome!! Very accurate. Good find and a keeper for sure...I wish I had.
  11. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 New Member

I got one in a trade a couple years ago and absolutely love it. I shoot it more than any .22 that I own.
  12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

A buddy of mine had one that belonged to his grandfather. Very nice and accurate little gun. I shot it quite a bit but I never liked the short lever throw.
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thats what sold me on it was the short throw...great rifle.:)
  14. pmwizard

pmwizard New Member

I bought my Henry H001 used from Cabella's. SHot great from the first round fired. I would consider buying another Henry lever gun brcause I can't say anything bad about the rifle. I shoot the cheap, bulk ammo so every now and then I get an FTF. I then put it in my S&W 22 revolver to see if it will fire the round, and 9 out of 10 times it does not fire.
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...mine LOVES the CCI Blazer's....puts'em down range nice and quick and spot- on!
  16. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

The Browning is a nice gun. I too dont care for the very short throw. Otherwise I have no complaints except fear of getting that first scratch. I really like the Marlins. They have a great feel and shoot extremely well. Since the first model in 1891, the design is basically unchanged. I would like to find an early 1891 that loads thru the right side of receiver like the larger Winchester and Marlin lever actions. If the value of these old models wasnt so high, I would have already modified an 1892 or 1897 to feed thru the receiver. That is a great looking background for your rifle. You should have no complaints with your new toy.
  17. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

very nice rifle! i'm sure you're going to love it
  18. olafhardt

olafhardt New Member

Marlin made a little lever the 39D for just a few years. I traded a Winchester model 70 for one and always thought I got the best of the trade. It has a 15 round magazine as does yours. It has always been one of my favorites-the perfect size for a 22. Congratulations!
  19. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yes but can you reshoot with a bottle of Jack sittin atop the barrel!
  20. bobkk

bobkk Member

I bought a 39D last year and like it. It's handier than my 39A. Put a old Redfield 22 rimfire 3/4- 4 power scope on it. Scope is as clear as when I Bought it in the 70's.