My new M&P Shield

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bakerconch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

I recieved my new Shield 9mm a couple of days ago and finally got to shoot it today. First two targets are at 7yds, I only shot 24 rounds because the large flying vampires came out to visit me, (MuskEaters) as one of my country friends say.

I bought this to replace my Taurus 85 revolver which I carry only at certain times. I wanted a small compact auto that I could conceal easily. I am carrying it today in a crossbreed holster and can hardly tell it is there.

The trigger is a little strange to me, I have been shooting my EMP 1911 a lot and am used to that trigger which is smooth and crisp, the M&P seems a little gritty, but breaks o.k. You can see I do need some practice with it, the third
    target is with the extended mag @ 15 feet.

I applied a Hogue grip sleeve because the gun is a little slick feeling without it, and it builds the thin grip out enough to make it feel a lot better in my hand.

All in all I am pleased with it. I think it will do the job that I bought it for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Very good! What do you think of the EMP 1911?
  3. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

nice , been wanting to shoot one of those.
  4. RuffLock

RuffLock New Member

I know what you mean about the gritty trigger. I carry a M&P 40 compact as my EDC, and have been toying with the idea of installing one of those APEX trigger kits I've heard so much about. Not sure if my department will allow me to continue using it as my off duty with a trigger job. If not, oh well. I've got plenty of other pistols I can use for off duty that are on the approved list.

I've got about 800-900 rds through mine, without so much as a hiccup. I can't say that I've noticed an improvement in the trigger feel though. It might be slightly smoother in the take up, but the break and over travel stage still feels the same to me. Since I've been shooting my 1911 so much of late, maybe I'm just overly sensitive to the trigger differences. They say those APEX FSS kits make the trigger feel like a 1911, so I am definitely intrigued.

Hope you enjoy your new Shield. I love the M&P brand overall and have been very happy with mine for the past 5 years.