My new Remington 700 5R -- range report

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Idempotent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Idempotent

Idempotent New Member

First, some background info: My dad bought me a .22 rifle 10 years ago because he wanted me to learn how to shoot. Up until today that was pretty much all I had experience with (save the occasional shot on some kind stranger's firearm at the range).

I'd been debating what to get as my second rifle for nearly the past year. Two weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Remington 700 5R (milspec) chambered in .308 Win. I got a nice 4-14.5x40 Leupold Mark 4 scope to go along with it. Needless to say, I really blew my budget on this one (I originally wanted to spend no more than $700! Hah!), but screw it. I know myself well enough to know that when I really want something, I should just go ahead and get it, instead of trying to save money on something cheaper, then getting dissatisfied with it, and ultimately spending more in the long run.

And because I know you guys well enough by now, I know if I don't provide a photo you'll all just ask for one, so here it is:

[​IMG]

So I took the Remington 700 5R to my local range today and had an absolute blast with. First, I should preface this post by saying that up until today I had never shot a rifle chambered in anything but .22 LR, and I had never even used a scope before, so keep that in mind.

Recoil on a .308 is, unsurprisingly enough, a tiny bit more than on a .22 LR. The anticipation of the recoil more than anything else was what kept screwing me up. I could keep my scope well-aligned enough with the bulls-eye, but my actual trigger squeeze just wasn't up to par. I definitely need more practice on that. And I realized I need to wear more layers or get a shooting jacket for next time, because my shoulder is kind of sore. This was never a problem with the .22, obviously.

So, during the entire course of the day, I put about 50 rounds downrange. Most of that was cheap Russian ammo, but the last 7 was -- and I'll just quote from the website here -- ".308 Winchester American Eagle Centerfire Rifle Cartridge, 150-Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Bullet, 2820 fps". So it was decent, but it still wasn't the 168 or 170 gr ammo that my rifle is supposed to love. Soon I'll start getting the good stuff.

Anyway, here's the last target that I shot (at 100 yards). Ignoring the one "flyer" it's about a 2 MOA grouping. This rifle and scope should theoretically be capable of 1/2 MOA shooting, so, eh, chalk it up to user inexperience. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll at least be doing this rifle some justice and have some really clean targets to brag about on here.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats a 2 inch group at 100 yds from a rifle in the hands of an inexperienced and uncomfortable shooter. You keep right on practicing and watch those groups shrink. Get you some snap caps to practice the trigger at home. That is a very nice set up. You really did good. Im a little jealous;)
  3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

That is great!

I am glad you are happy with your purchase, I hope you'll have many long years of use from both!
  4. Airdale

Airdale Member

Vey nice outfit and the shooting isn't all that bad. The suggestion to get snap caps and practice dry firing is one you should consider.

If I may, I would also recommend you get a bore guide and a seriously good rod along with some good solvent for cleaning the copper out of your new barrel if you don't already have them.

Your fun is just starting.
  5. wpage

wpage Active Member

Very nice. A beautiful package you chose.
    Happy Trails!
  6. Idempotent

Idempotent New Member

I'm picking up some Hoppes very soon. What's so good about a bore guide? I'm just using a basic .30 cleaning kit at the moment. And I hope to get a bore snake on Friday as wel.
  7. Airdale

Airdale Member

The easiest and safest way to preserve the accuracy of your bolt action rifle is to clean your rifle from the breech/chamber end using a Bore Guide. Bore Guides protect the chamber and bore of your rifle by guiding the cleaning rod through the barrel. A special O-Ring seal prevents solvent or oil from seeping into the action and trigger mechanism.

Cleaning from the breech also protects the crown of your barrel. I just purchased a Rem. 700 and got the bore guide and a Dewey one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod before my rifle package arrived.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nothing "good" about a bore guide..... they're excellent ! Not required of course, but it certainly a small investment for a valueable rifle. Airdale covered it well. Boresnake is great for a quick range cleaning; I have them in every caliber I own.
  9. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Nice looking Rem. Idempotent, and pretty good shooting for your first time out. The more you shot it and fine ammo the gun likes youl see them groups get pretty small. I really like the rem. 700s as i have three of them. have fun.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

only one thing to add... Hoppes is good but butchs bore shine is waaaaay better...
  11. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I'll second that! I never knew there was that much copper in my barrels until after seeing my first patch of Butch's Bore Shine.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

That is a good looking package you picked up and some good shooting for the first time out. I think choosing a .308 was a great move, too. You will be happy with your choice.
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice looking setup you have there Idempotent! As stated abouve, once you find the ammo the gun likes and lots of practice, those groups will shrink right down.
    You gotta love the .308 cal., Remington, .308, I'm slobberin!
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing your experience with that new outfit. I am so jealous! You know you are going to have to get into reloading and adding the search for the perfect load for that new rifle. That is as much fun as the shooting.