The Firearms Forum banner

my new S&W highway patrolman 4 screw.

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  aryfrosty 
#1 · (Edited)
I know you guys probably seen this type before but I have always thought the Highway patrolman model 28 was a pretty cool revolver and a shop had this one for $400 today and I bought it even though it should have diamond magna grips instead of these later plain ones but it is still a 95%+ early 4 screw example. all original except for the grips. I will probably try to pick up period grips and a box over time but for now I am gonna enjoy that target hammer and trigger and super sweeet trigger pull for a while.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Rare and Beautiful find...You will enjoy it.

#8 ·
I didn't realize at my first ogling of of you beautiful gun that it is a 3" barrel. Extra NICE.
I didn't either, I got it out and measured it and it is 4 inch. The 28 is on the N frame like the 44mag 29 that is a lot bigger than our model 19's and makes the barrel look shorter. Same way with the 6 inch it lookes more like a k frame 5 inch.

this one is like the big brother to my wifes blue 19-3. her's has a target hamer and trigger as well. I love it but she never lets me shoot it so I had to get my own smith.

I snapped a pic of the 2 together to show the difference the Model 19 on the bottom is a K frame and the Model 28 Highway Patrolman on top is the N frame I changed the exposure to better show the difference in the cylinder and frame sizes.

Attachments

#9 ·
Ok, my bad. I did the same thing I was looking at your picture and saw the ramp sight going back over the ejector rod and went and looked at my 19 and said wow that is a 3" not even thinking about the N vs K frame difference. Hell to get old.

#11 · (Edited)
Ok, my bad. I did the same thing I was looking at your picture and saw the ramp sight going back over the ejector rod and went and looked at my 19 and said wow that is a 3" not even thinking about the N vs K frame difference. Hell to get old.
I didn't mean to sound like I was correcting you, I had to check myself after you said that. I just thought it might be good to take a pic while I had them both together to demonstrate the difference in frame size even though they are both 357. I keep forgetting that not every one reads the standard catalog of smith and wesson and looks at them every day on the auction sites. just us wierd guys that have been drawing pictures of revolvers since they were 5 and watching 60's and 70's cops's shows to see service revolvers in action. There is something about a good double action revolver that is just about perfect followed closely by the single action revolver.

#19 ·
I didn't realize at my first ogling of of you beautiful gun that it is a 3" barrel. Extra NICE.
Not kickin doggies here....That is a 4 inch barrel. I have owned several and the only 3" n frame barrel I have encountered is the M-27. Granted you might see one if it is changed but not this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.