My New Sig P220

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by wingspar, Mar 9, 2011.

1. wingspar

wingspar Member

Have not been very active on the forum for a while. I go in spurts. A few weeks ago, I rented a Glock 21, Sig P220 (both .45 ACP) and a Sig P229 in .40 to see if I enjoyed shooting these calibers. I did. The next few weeks I went thru the .40 vs .45 thing, and decided to grab the first gun that came along. That went to the Sig P220. I liked it better than the Glock 21. As for the .40, I’ll probably add one to my collection at some point in time. There just seems to be more love for the .45 than the .40, but honestly, both were fun to shoot. As for ballistics, I decided not to get too hung up on the numbers. Both excellent cartridges.

I decided on a CPO P220. CPO = Certified Pre-Owned. CPO guns are gone thru at the factory, and come with a one year factory warranty. Weather here sucks big time, but I do hope to get out and shoot it before the end of the week. She’s all cleaned up, properly lubed, and ready for the range. I have shot lots of photos of it tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Good gun. In fact the 220 is one of the few DA .45's that I enjoyed shooting. The range I work at has one on the rental wall it probably has 50,000 rounds through it and all that is done is clean out the barrel couple times a week. 1 broken trigger bar after 8 years of service and 50,000 rounds and its still rock'n.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I think you made one helluva choice !! That 220 is one sweeeeet gun! That is the one of three of my guns that I will never part with. Nice pics too; I never have been much of a photographer, so it's nice to see what you, Donny, Pony and a few others can do behind the shutter. Makes the 220 look even purtier !

I added the wrap around Hogue grips on mine; made it even easier to control and return to POA. They're about $20-25 and well worth it.
  4. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Like it, sweet grooves!
  5. woolleyworm

Ok, so I gotta be a PITA about one thing....

just why in the heck spend all that money and take all the time with fine photos and then shoot them with PMC ammo ?????

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Just had to throw that out there Gary :D:D:D

Some nice GoldDots or even better - handloads with a full box behind woulda looked even sweeter ! PMC is kinda like putting Gary Busey beside Liv Tyler, just aint right :D

Enjoy that 220 and can't wait for the range photos !!
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

You chose the sig over the glock? Great choice. I totally agree..
  7. wingspar

wingspar Member

That’s impressive. I’ve seen a lot of negative posts about Sigs current quality control, but I chose to ignore those. The P220 must be about the most loved Sig made. According to the serial number, this one was made in 2001.

I’ve shot a lot of PMC in my Mini-14 cause it was cheap, and I’ve been looking for PMC in 9mm for a long time, but couldn’t find any till after I ordered a case of Winchester Ranger. When I rented a couple of .45's a few weeks ago, PMC was the ammo they had. When I bought this stuff, it was the cheapest I could find by quite a bit. PMC is good ammo. :D I’m not picky when it comes to range ammo. SD ammo will be Gold Dots tho.

When I first held a P220, I did not like the grip. Then I found out it was single stack, so when I had the chance to rent, I rented a Glock 21 and the P220. It didn’t take long to realize I liked the Sig more. The G21 looked and sort of felt big and blocky. The P220 was slim and sleek in comparison. Now, I don’t know where my head was when I thought the P220 grip didn’t feel good.

Nothing against Glocks. I do own a G17, and have about 1500 rounds thru it.
  8. woolleyworm

I've shot a few boxes of PMC myself and it's ok stuff, much better than Wolf or Tula. I prefer MagTech when it comes to cheaper factory plinking ammo. Magtech brass has been very good quality for reloading IMO. Bad thing about the last couple of years, selection is starting to get better though and I've seen much more available in the last 3-4 months.
  9. wingspar

wingspar Member

There is a lot of good range ammo out there today. As long as it's good brass or Blazer Aluminum, and the price is right, I’ll shoot it. I probably won’t put any steel thru the Sig tho.

When I rented the guns at the range, I saw the guy take a box of MagTech off the shelf, then he put it back, and gave me a box of PMC for $18. Good price too, and every single round went bang.

The PMC you see in my photo was priced right, and while it might not be the best out there, it is decent range ammo. .45 isn’t cheap. Wolf Gold is brass cased and boxer primed. Have you tried that stuff?
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Beautiful gun you have there, wingspar. I have never been disappointed with a Sig Sauer. You know, you gotta love Sigs!
  11. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thank you. I own a Mosquito, but this is my first centerfire Sig. I’ve got my eye on either the P226 or P229 in .40 for sometime down the road. I rented a P229 in .40 a few weeks ago, but I meant to rent a P226. Didn’t even realize my mistake till it was too late. I didn’t think I’d like the P229 being the smaller gun, but I did like it.
  12. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

Great looking gun. I have one (DOB 1995) as well and it is a great shooter. Even my wife likes it . . . .
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Cool gun dude. I have no experience with Sigs yet.
  14. wingspar

wingspar Member

The PMC did seem kind of dirty, but this was my first range trip with my very own .45. I just ordered some more ammo, and PMC and MagTech were the same price, so I got some MagTech to try it out. The gun will be clean before I shoot the MagTech, so I can do a visual comparison on the dirt. :D If memory serves me right, MagTech is made in Brazil.

Thanks. I was hoping to find a late 1990's model, but this one came along first, and I couldn’t see any reason to take more time looking for an earlier model. My other half will shoot it, but I think she prefers 9mm better. Personally, I find it hard to tell them apart when shooting. I wonder if that might be due to the heavier P220 vs the Lighter Glock 17?

Thanks. All of my experience, which is quite limited, is with Glocks and Sigs. Sig makes a great gun, and I’ll probably pick up a .40 some day, and it may very well be the Sig P226 or the P229, but before I make the choice, I’ll rent them both side by side along with a Glock 22 or 23. I have the feeling I’ll go with a Sig in .40. I have shot a P229 in .40, and liked it. No experience with Glock in .40, but I’d like to shoot one first. When I bought the P220, I shot it alongside a Glock 21, and the Sig won hands down.
  15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I have a 226DAK in a .40. I love it. I bought one for myself after shooting one and carrying it at work. It's a double action only, but despite that, I really like it. I like SA more, but it's a sweet gun. I may have the trigger lightened a bit, if that's possible on my personal gun.