My new Stag Arms 5.56. (first time shooting it) ..problems

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Gibill, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Gibill

Gibill New Member

Boy, talk about trigger happy people! You guys are shooting w/out giving anybody a chance......read my responses.....I appreciate all of the advice and AM taking it seriously. Just got back from cabellla's and purchased several other commercial rounds.....American eagle 223 55Gr fmj......Winchester 5.56 55 Gr full metal jacket.......PCM 5.56 NATO 62grs green tip-LAP......gonna test it hopefully tomorrow or tues. thanks again to all responses......taking all info as a learning experience. For those of you who haven't shot at me yet.....thanks.....for those of you that did.......well, I have big shoulders (meaning no offense taken) 2nd meaning.....you missed me! LOL thanks for your help and will let u know how it goes!
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Skins good n thick. Youll do nicely Bill. ;)
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Well Bill you did post the following AFTER you said "I appreciate all of the advice and AM taking it seriously."

This was your last post...right before we wondered why you weren't willing to try what many suggested.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  4. Gibill

Gibill New Member

My weapon is on the floor and my hands are up! Please don't shoot. On second thought picked my weapon back up......it isn't working anyway......you got me....saw the timeline differently.....and been pm'ing others about using commercial rounds......my bad!
  5. Gibill

Gibill New Member

Well, fellas took my stag out loaded with PCM xtac 5.56 62 gr green tip.....fired 1 round.......didn't cycle. My buddy noticed a flash.....but not at the end of the barrel......the flash came at the end of the gas tube at the hand guard.....gun will be packed back up and sent to stag.......
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Hope they get it back to you asap. Good idea to have someone watching too.
  7. Gibill

Gibill New Member

well, continued looking into the problem.......those of you who suggested a gas problem.....you were right.....JLA worked with me and walked me thru the problem......taking all of the suggestions into consideration.......after shooting commercial ammo thru it and hearing my description of what happened, JLA walked me thru pulling the gas block and checking the alignment.......what appears to have happened, the dealer changed out the hand guard with a quad rail. in doing so the gas block was not over the barrel port. stag's delay in getting the shipping label and rma # gave me the time to converse back and forth with JLA and got the rail installed properly wih the gas block centered over the gas port........gun fired and cycled with commercial ammo as well as hand mfg'd loads........thanks again for the forum and everybody who gave input.....special thanks to JLA!
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Gibill:

It is time to take that dealer to task for what he did to your gun and the delay in your enjoyment of same. The only way he'll know he screwed up is for you to show him that you are a little bit upset.

There are only so many things it could be but without the gun in hand to disassemble, as you did, there is not a surefire way to tell exactly what is wrong. The call to use commercial ammo was the least intrusive suggestion. If any of us had the gun in hand we may have started with the gas system after trying commercial ammo.

Don't feel cheated as all of us have had some unknowing or uncaring person mess up a gun or two. I had a Garand re-barreled years ago and I could not get it to cycle after the re-barrel. After much investigation and kind of by dumb luck and after changing out several parts, I found the barrel manufacturer had not drilled the gas port all the way through which minimize the gas getting to the operating rod piston.

Recently my son-in-law bought a CMP Garand (we have guns other than Garands!) and the hammer was following the bolt in recoil and not staying cocked after every shot. I took it home and investigated. The assembler at CMP had installed the hammer spring housing in the trigger group wrong side out. I let CMP know about it immediately and the president (or was it CEO ?) contacted me via email to assure me they would find out why that assembler wasn't paying attention or was unknowing. He thanked me for bringing it to his attention. You need to inform that dealer of his mistake so he won't do it again to someone else.

LDBennett
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good to hear, problem solved!
    After buying my Stag, I went back to where I had bought it and swapped for a quad rail. (better one than what came from the factory)
    While I was there, the GS feller siad he'd put it on while I was there. I did watch him closely to make sure everything went back the way it came apart, especially the gas tube.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a simple thing to overlook especially with the clamp on gas blocks they seem to be using more and more these days. Good ol pin on never had this problem.