My new Stoeger Couger 8000 9MM handgun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by triplebike, Mar 9, 2010.

1. triplebike

triplebike New Member

Had the 8000 at the range for the 2nd time today. Ran close to 200 rounds through it without as much as a hiccup. Total rounds fired so far, 350 +. It just keeps getting smoother. The trigger is superb. It fits my hand like a glove. I just can't say enough good things about this weapon. It accepts whatever ammo I feed it. It's a lot more accurate than I am. I purchased 3 extra hi -cap factory mags from CDNN (19.99 each) & they all performed perfectly. I am having a hard time trying to find a 9MM that's as good a value as this one, in fact, I really believe that for $369 new this is the best value 9MM,s out there. Oh & the Stoeger has one other thing going for it, it's a FUN gun to shoot! It doesn't tire you out, it doesn't beat you up, it's extremely easy to maintain, performs flawlessly & it's fun. What could be bad! If your looking for a 9MM semi auto don't count out the Stoeger 8000. It's not hi tech, it doesn't have any bells & whistles but it does exactly what a 9MM semi auto handgun is supposed to do & does it extremely well. If your a novice like me that just enjoys shooting & could care less about having the the latest & greatest check it out, both you & your wallet will be pleasantly surprised. I may just have to pick up another one. (LOL)
  2. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

I'm curious. Who will fix it when it breaks? Where do you get parts for it when it breaks? Where can you get "stuff" to personalize it like you can with Colt or SA or Ruger or Beretta etc.
    I admit I am not familiar with this line and though it sounds like it is working fine now, I have been around guns for a while and it is pretty well expected that eventually things happen. (Murphys law) But more importantly everyone adds "stuff" to their new guns to fix them up or to personalize them if you will so I wonder where or if you can get that stuff.

UF
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Their is Stoeger's website, http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_cougar.php

As for customization, their is always a gunsmith or dealer to point you in the right direction.

For me, wear is the best customization as no two guns wear the exact same way.
  4. golgiaparatus

golgiaparatus New Member

I owned this gun for a few months. Beretta 8000. Beretta owns Stoeger, they basically moved all their manufacturing equipment to Turkey, and it's now made there.

Anything made for the Beretta 8000 will fit perfectly on the Cougar.

I liked the gun, they shoot well and are a practical size. But for me it wasn't as good as my PT92C. I ended up selling it and getting a Full Size PT which I love.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  5. group17

group17 New Member

Thought i read it goes back to beretta for repairs, I might be wrong.

The good news is mine has worked flawlessly for the past two years. Never a problem. I would recommend it highly as an inexpensive reliable 9mm.
    Unlike golgiaparatus I think the size (being smaller) is nicer than the 92.
    For any one looking for a status named gun just buy the $20 walnut medallion Beretta grips and you have a Beretta.

[​IMG]
  6. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

I just picked one up today for 399.00! I cant wait to shoot it.
  7. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

I'm thinking about getting one this week. My dealer has one for $400 and it is a great feeling gun. It is between the Stoeger and going way up in price for a xdm or a tactical CZ 75. I really don't think I want to throw an extra $200+ into a handgun right now. The Stoeger gets great reviews from every owner of one that I have seen.
  8. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

Is it a double action ?? reason I ask is I started doing security work and policy requires a double action auto or revolver (I don`t know why either)
    Anyway your thread definately sparked my interest, nice looking gun
  9. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

It is a single action. Notice the exposed hammer. The first shot can be fired in double action but then the slide cocks the hammer. Just like a 1911 would operate.
  10. surfzombie

surfzombie New Member

It's a DA/SA.
  11. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Well I've put 200 rds. through mine so far and it's performed flawless!