My new toy!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by JLA, Aug 31, 2010.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I picked it up today and boy is she beautiful. I believe its a sneak rifle as you can see in pic #3 thats the extent of the markings. Im still trying to figure out the who made it, whether it be sako or a vtk. Either way its in unissued condition with a shiney new bore:) Thanks Helix for finding me yet another treasure... What would i do without you;)

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I took these pics just now as i unboxed her (for the second time today:D) Ill put up more as I clean her up and get her ready for a lifelong diet of cast boolit handloads...

Attached Files:

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

91/30, M44 or M38? I just can't tell from the angle of the pictures. I thought hex receiver 91/30 first off.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Oh sorry guys, I forgot to tell yall what it is:eek:

Its a Finn M39.. The way the russians should have built the 'legend rifle'
  5. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

REAL NICE! You just remined me to get to "work" on the one I have to find out if it's a Finnish made or not?
    Yours looks to be in real good shape,
    Congratulations!
    EDIT: What was I thinking, it is unissued, NICE JLA!
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  7. Zane71464

8. zb338

zb338 New Member

Hopes it shoot as good as it looks for you. I'm sure it will.

Zeke
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Have more money in your bank account;):D
    I like to find em. Too bad I can't afford em;)

Now come'on Josh its been 24 hrs, were is the range report?:D
  10. Zane71464

Yeah, what Helix said! :)
  11. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Ohhhhh Noooo! You got a M39! Now you will look down on all other Mosins with disdain. :D
    Josh, looks like you got a real nice one too! If you pull it out of the stock, and look at the bottom side of the tang near the screw hole, there will be an arsenal mark and date numbers. That will tell you who made the receiver, and when.
    Get busy with that range report too!
    If it shoots too high, let me know how high, and what the number is on the front sight blade, if I have one taller, I'll swap ya.;)
    Get a magnifier and look right in front of the serial on the barrel, looks like there may be a VKT in a box there. Anything stamped in the stock?
    My bad, I forgot the "Sneak" rifles weren't branded. Here's some info:
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I already do look at the ruskies with disgust now...

Its a sako, got the "s in the gear" stamped under the tang with a 2 on one side and a mark thats barely discernable as a mark on the other, looks like it may have been an 8 at one time? The sako gear is also stamped veeeery small on the front of the front sight housing. Anyhow. Shes cleaned and oiled, all the shims are in place, I even made a couple beer can shims for the trigger housing/mag assembly so it bears evenly against the stock. The action is solidly bedded to the stock, barrel is fully floated between the handguards from the reciever to the last inch of stock where it is in solid contact with the upper and lower stocks, barrel harmonics should be superb. I also shimmed the sear with another beer can shim, and polished the trigger mechanisms with blue magic (im not gonna say whats its as smooth as on this forum... Helix knows;)) Trigger is a smooth 2 stage pull that breaks like glass at 3 lbs. I tell ya the finns build one hell of a fine rifle...
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Total of 330 after shipping and transfer...
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

You Suko.:mad::p;)
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

range report... Fired yesterday about 4:30 in the afternoon, it was a balmy 85 degrees, with a slight crosswind that may have hit 5 mph at most. Fired form a solid bench with sandbags front and rear.

Ammo used:
    Winchester White box (metric calibers)
    7.62X54R 180 gr FMJ

decided on doin the range report with factory fodder 1) because i needed more brass and the win brass is good stuff. 2) itll gimme an excuse to do yet another range report with cast booilt loads in once fired brass, neck sized of course:D

First couple pics are of the rifle planted on the shootn bench...

First target is 150 yd target (lowest setting on rear sight) to see how much adjusting i needed to do.... % shots, excellent group (especially for irons) front sight a little off and yes it shoots about 6 inches high...

Second target 250 yds, fired 4 rounds after adjusting the front sight left a little with the rear still set at 150, hits POA. (the fifth round was fired through a piece of 1/4 inch steel I had just for giggles;))

It was a short range session and i really didnt give the rifle time to foul or warm up even. But i got my answers and I went home to tweak it a little.

A little precision filework on the sights (opened em up a little so I can see better) and i hit the range again today....

Attached Files:

17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Today the weather was identical to yesterday with the wind a bit stronger. same crosswind but 10-20 mph gusts, not bad, I have shot in worse;)

First group with the finn was at 50 just to verify sight alignment and to make sure I didnt screw the sights up, much to my surprise.. a 1 holer! (just 50 yds though:))

So I set a target at 100 yds and fired 10 consecutive carefully aimed shots...
    Very satisfied at this point despite the wind gusts.

Moved to 150 to shoot my deer vitals. 5 hits, 4 out of 5 in the lungs. one would have disabled the animal but I would have had to finish it. The wind began to have its effect beyond 100 and the 200 and 250 werent worth taking pictures of.

I am hitting the press tonight and loading up a batch of 200 gr cast lead for tomorrows ladder test. The abilities of this rifle exceed the abilities of the shooter by far. Im really fighting myself over mounting a scope in a solid mount to get the most out of this rifle:confused:

BTW... sorry for the small pics. I forgot the camera today and had to take them with my cell...

Attached Files:

18. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Thanks for the great pictures and the range report. All great stuff.
  19. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Bwaaaahaha.........you're hooked.:D
    I've been playing with IMR Trail Boss powder, and some 110grn cast. The Trail Boss is foolproof, you can't possibly overload with it. No need for gas checks, fps stays under sonic, and no recoil. Burns clean too. Any case and bullet weight, fill the case to the bottom of the neck and seat a bullet.
    Subsonic loads in a Mosin, backyard crows are hating life around here.:)
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

nice. I got my boolits lubed and sized/gaschecks seated. Im going for a MV of somewheres around 1700-1800 fps with the 200 grainers. I got me some trailboss too. Might try some of those 'bb gun' loads for the M39:) thanks trap