My new toy!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by JLA, Aug 31, 2010.

1. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Josh, the secret got out and they are hard to find now, but the Czech practice ammo is a kick to shoot. 46grn bullet, made from a plastic filled copper jacket, muzzle velocity of 3,800fps. Velocity falls off fast, but it's good out to 200yrds. Makes one hell of a varmint load at 100yrds. No recoil, but they develop enough pressure to cycle the action on my SVT-40 and PSL-54.
    Reason I mention em, for some reason, the accuracy in M39's is great inside 100yrds. This is what they look like if you run across some:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

neat. Ill keep my eyes peeled. Thanks trap!

I just got back from the range shooing the first test batch of cast loads. I decided against the ladder test due to wind. Its very windy today. I just loaded a 50 round batch with 28.8 grains of reloader 7 (smack dab in the middle of the data listd in the lyman 49 manual) accuracy was fantastic despite the wind. Groups fired at 100 yds and the rear sight had to be set at 4+1 notch to hit POA and the best part..... NO LEADING and very little felt recoil (about comparable to light .243) I could shoot all day with cast loads and the boolits were smacking the steel targets as hard as they seemed to with full power loads, I fired one into a barrel of water to test expansion (none whatsoever) and the barrel (a 35 gallon drum) jumped straight up 3 feet still full of water (I gotta start you-tubing;)). I am one very happy camper with this rifle, they get my seal of approval for sure. Yall quit wasting your money on them cheap ruskies and buy a real nagant...;)...:D

Attached Files:

3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

NICE!!! And I agree with buying the "real" deal, they are what they are, made to shoot and shoot good!
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Two trips to the range......and see how ya are already.:D
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I cant deny the quality and workmanship the finns put into the development of these rifles. they built them like thier own lives depended on them. The ruskies built them for 10 million peasant soldiers because it was easier to convince a man to fight for his country against his own free will if he had somewhat of a weapon to do it with...

I have owned and fired accurate ruskies, they arent all bad, but I bought 4 before i found one that would print decently on paper.

This is my first finn, I have read and read and read some more to learn as much as i could about them before I even bought it, so my expectations were high when I laid this one on the bench and Im very satisfied. This is a rifle, i purchased on merit alone, contributing to my scarily unfailing ability to trust the word of people who i dont even know that live hundreds of miles away, and i get it home, and take it apart, everything was like I had researched, i load it and it shoots fanfreakintastic with the very first thing i feed it. Coincidence??? I think not...;)

Off the shelf ruskies demand hand pickin and tons of work to shoot even close to the finns. so yeah, id say save another 150 bucks and buy a real mosin nagant, chances are youre gonna spend at least that getting a ruskie to shoot, I know because i have...:cool:
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  6. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

very cool, one of these days I'd like one as well. They are history for sure.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

8. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Thats a very nice rifle you have there jla. I think with it being unissued for 330 you cant beat it. I have to say after i have been working on reloading and changing to the huber trigger i am definatley impressed with the mosin now. Its a great rifle and i look forward to finally deer hunting with it. I think it would be quite fun deer hunting with a wwii rifle. Again rifle looks beautiful.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thanks Z. I will use this one to hunt with from time to time as well. Its a pretty comfortable rig to carry, a little heavy at 9.9 pounds but it slings up well and the weight is evenly distributed. It carries well and isnt uncomfortable on a good half mile walk. I carry african safari style when I go hunting and this thing flips right up into action quickly and easily.
  10. gandog56

gandog56 Member

My Finn M39

[​IMG]

What she did at 50 yards (First time I fired it to see how she grouped)

[​IMG]

Yep, that's 5 rounds of the dreaded Czech Silvertip Light Ball.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Very nice gan. Seems the finns make a consisent rifle;)
  12. dmh

dmh New Member

These are amazing! where do I get some of these?
  13. dmh

dmh New Member

You lucky dog JLA! That M39 looks like it's in great condition