My new WASR-10

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by CampingJosh, Nov 6, 2008.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

So I was looking at AK variants at a Dunham's Sports today, and the guy behind the counter told me that I would probably lose money by buying it. He said that he expects people to have to turn them in like six months.

I don't know if he's got inside information or if he's just the worst salesman in the history of the world (I'm leaning toward the latter), but I ended up settling on one.

I got out my Indiana driver's license to start the paperwork, and the guy tells me that he can only sell to residents of Michigan (I'm a Hoosier living temporarily in Michigan). I asked him if he was sure, because I had looked it up on the Michigan state police website not an hour earlier, but he insisted. As you probably can guess, I'm not going to that store anymore.

So I called the gun shop in the next town over, and the guy there said he did have two AKs in stock, so I headed straight over. He had a nice Russian, but it was more than I wanted to spend, so I went with the Romanian WASR-10. The fit and finish is better than many I have seen, and this one seems to have been worked over by someone who cared when it was converted to take double-stack magazines. The kicker? This one was $60 cheaper than what I had picked out at the other store. It just turned into a pretty good day.

It had the thumb hole stock on it, but I quickly replaced that (it also came with a pistol grip and stock). I won't get to shoot it for a while (I work every day right now, and there's not a range within 25 miles, so I'll have to be patient for a good bit), but that's OK. I now have one.

So now, after all that, I have a question. This one has a nut on the front of the barrel welded on, but the weld is very small and could likely be easily broken/cut. I'm pretty sure the threads are still under there. Would there be any legal problem in me removing that nut? Is that something I truly can't have, or did that just have to be welded on so that it can be imported legally?
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I think you did the right thing.

Consider this. One alternative to an outright ban would be a ban on future sales of certain types. Leaving owners with their assault rifles, but unable to buy more or perhaps accessories such as magazines.

As for the barrel nut, I dont know your regulations but imagine its to stop the fitting of a flash hider, so I would leave it alone
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  3. CampingJosh

That's what our last "assault weapons ban" did. If it was already owned, it was grandfathered in. That's why I hurried up and got this one.
  4. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Great buy, I love my WASR.....never ever had any problem with it, aside from cleaning out cosmoline.....but a few mags full will burn it off pretty quick
  5. pawn

pawn New Member

WTG CampingJosh :) Congratulations on your fine aquisition :D

Love my Yugo M70 AK47- receiver is built like a brick ****house. Bought mine earlier this year with an eye towards the current political situation.

Probably a good time to get you some extra mags = or > 30 capacity.

My opinion is that it's not likely the government would take away AK's or similar rifles from law-abiding citizens- maybe a limit on high cap mags....

Not saying it isn't possible, but I doubt the probability. That said, I'm wrong plenty :confused:

-pawn
  6. CampingJosh

It came with two 30 round mags... I know I need a few more, but this was about all I can spend right now. Hopefully I'll be able to get two or three more in the next couple months.

I also need to start stocking up on ammo. I don't reload, and I don't have space to set up equipment, anyway, so I'm stuck buying factory or surplus stuff. (Though I do save all my reloadable brass, because I do expect to start at some point.)

Right now a nearby sporting goods store has Wolf 122 gr. FMJ and HP for $5/box, which is cheaper than they sell the cases. Also, the shop where I bought the gun has surplus stuff for $3 per 15 rounds, which is the best price I've found.

Yeah, I don't see what we already have being taken. I could see bans on sales, and definitely high cap magazines are a target, but since I already have the rifle, I think I'll be OK.
  7. macro01

macro01 New Member

it's hard to find AK magazines nowadays...great decision
  8. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

The weld can be busted and replaced with a compensator, but then you gotta replace some parts with US ones, wich is fine because usually the parts you gotta replace are better as US parts. Might I suggest you pick up something like The Gun Digest Book of the AK & SKS by Patrick Sweeney. It has all you would wanna know about building your AK legally.
  9. CampingJosh

Thanks for the info, but you're too late! I traded that gun not two Sundays back for a Kel-Tec P3AT and a S&W Model 1000 Super 12 gauge. :D

I just didn't shoot it enough. It did get me a great carry piece and a rather nice autoloading shotgun.
  10. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

As long as it goes 'BANG' :eek: I like it.:cool::D:cool:
  11. CampingJosh

Oh, me too! But the other two go "BANG" for me a lot more often. :D
  12. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I bought a Romanian WASR-10 a couple of years ago. Not the prettiest rifle in the world, but it sure works good! My only complaint was that the Romanian mags seemed a bit "wobbly" - maybe the guy who cut the bottom of my receiver was having a bad day?
    I found that Bulgarian AK mags fit my gun better.
  13. CampingJosh

The loose fit is because Century Arms converts them to accept double-stack magazines. Instead of making it the correct (read: expensive) way, they just cut a big hole and then attach plates to the inside of the reciever to make a "pretty good" fit. It's crude, but it works.

If they didn't do the conversion, you'd only be able to use single-stack magazines with 5 or 10 round capacity.
  14. ofitg

ofitg New Member

So, Josh, you traded in the AK for a S&W 1000 plus the Keltec P3AT? Sounds like a pretty good exchange.

I don't have any experience with the P3AT, hope it works OK for you. For the past 15 years I've been carrying a Colt Mustang Pocketlite - rides around in my pocket like a .25 auto - I never leave home without it.
    I imagine that a lot of guys will disparage me for carrying a .380.... I tried carrying larger, more potent pistols, but I finally decided that the .380 was right for me. If it was any larger, I probably wouldn't carry it so religiously, and if it was any smaller I wouldn't trust it to get the job done.
  15. CampingJosh

Yeah. I had some ammo and extras that went with the AK, but I think I made out OK.
  16. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

What ever you will carry is the best. A .45 doesn't do you any good when you're not carrying it. Where one or two .45 rounds will knock it down, a mag of .380 should work about as well. Don't let anybody tell you its wrong. I get it the other way, I carry a 1911 .45 and get told that I should carry something smaller. Its all about what is the most comfortable for you.:D
  17. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I looked at an AK 47 this past Tuesday. My local gun shop had one with the slanted "thing" on the end of the barrel that can be screwed off and replaced with other flash hiders.

Anyway, he told me $400 OTD (out the door) so I picked it up and started toward the cash register. I happened to mention that I was looking for a .223 bolt action and would rather have the bolt action more than the AK. My buddy who owns the shop told me that he could get me a Weatherby .223 with a 24 inch barrel for $428 (OTD) so I put the AK back and ordered the Weatherby. I hope I did the right thing.:confused:;)

In a few weeks, if he still has the AK, I will probably end up with it,too.:cool:
  18. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

You wont be disappointed with either. :D:D