My new WASR-10

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by CampingJosh, Nov 6, 2008.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

So I was looking at AK variants at a Dunham's Sports today, and the guy behind the counter told me that I would probably lose money by buying it. He said that he expects people to have to turn them in like six months.

I don't know if he's got inside information or if he's just the worst salesman in the history of the world (I'm leaning toward the latter), but I ended up settling on one.

I got out my Indiana driver's license to start the paperwork, and the guy tells me that he can only sell to residents of Michigan (I'm a Hoosier living temporarily in Michigan). I asked him if he was sure, because I had looked it up on the Michigan state police website not an hour earlier, but he insisted. As you probably can guess, I'm not going to that store anymore.

So I called the gun shop in the next town over, and the guy there said he did have two AKs in stock, so I headed straight over. He had a nice Russian, but it was more than I wanted to spend, so I went with the Romanian WASR-10. The fit and finish is better than many I have seen, and this one seems to have been worked over by someone who cared when it was converted to take double-stack magazines. The kicker? This one was $60 cheaper than what I had picked out at the other store. It just turned into a pretty good day.

It had the thumb hole stock on it, but I quickly replaced that (it also came with a pistol grip and stock). I won't get to shoot it for a while (I work every day right now, and there's not a range within 25 miles, so I'll have to be patient for a good bit), but that's OK. I now have one.

So now, after all that, I have a question. This one has a nut on the front of the barrel welded on, but the weld is very small and could likely be easily broken/cut. I'm pretty sure the threads are still under there. Would there be any legal problem in me removing that nut? Is that something I truly can't have, or did that just have to be welded on so that it can be imported legally?
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I think you did the right thing.

Consider this. One alternative to an outright ban would be a ban on future sales of certain types. Leaving owners with their assault rifles, but unable to buy more or perhaps accessories such as magazines.

As for the barrel nut, I dont know your regulations but imagine its to stop the fitting of a flash hider, so I would leave it alone
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  3. CampingJosh

That's what our last "assault weapons ban" did. If it was already owned, it was grandfathered in. That's why I hurried up and got this one.
  4. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Great buy, I love my WASR.....never ever had any problem with it, aside from cleaning out cosmoline.....but a few mags full will burn it off pretty quick
  5. pawn

pawn New Member

WTG CampingJosh :) Congratulations on your fine aquisition :D

Love my Yugo M70 AK47- receiver is built like a brick ****house. Bought mine earlier this year with an eye towards the current political situation.

Probably a good time to get you some extra mags = or > 30 capacity.

My opinion is that it's not likely the government would take away AK's or similar rifles from law-abiding citizens- maybe a limit on high cap mags....

Not saying it isn't possible, but I doubt the probability. That said, I'm wrong plenty :confused:

-pawn
  6. CampingJosh

It came with two 30 round mags... I know I need a few more, but this was about all I can spend right now. Hopefully I'll be able to get two or three more in the next couple months.

I also need to start stocking up on ammo. I don't reload, and I don't have space to set up equipment, anyway, so I'm stuck buying factory or surplus stuff. (Though I do save all my reloadable brass, because I do expect to start at some point.)

Right now a nearby sporting goods store has Wolf 122 gr. FMJ and HP for $5/box, which is cheaper than they sell the cases. Also, the shop where I bought the gun has surplus stuff for $3 per 15 rounds, which is the best price I've found.

Yeah, I don't see what we already have being taken. I could see bans on sales, and definitely high cap magazines are a target, but since I already have the rifle, I think I'll be OK.
  7. macro01

macro01 New Member

it's hard to find AK magazines nowadays...great decision
  8. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

The weld can be busted and replaced with a compensator, but then you gotta replace some parts with US ones, wich is fine because usually the parts you gotta replace are better as US parts. Might I suggest you pick up something like The Gun Digest Book of the AK & SKS by Patrick Sweeney. It has all you would wanna know about building your AK legally.
  9. CampingJosh

Thanks for the info, but you're too late! I traded that gun not two Sundays back for a Kel-Tec P3AT and a S&W Model 1000 Super 12 gauge. :D

I just didn't shoot it enough. It did get me a great carry piece and a rather nice autoloading shotgun.
  10. K1D_5150

K1D_5150 New Member

As long as it goes 'BANG' :eek: I like it.:cool::D:cool:
  11. CampingJosh

Oh, me too! But the other two go "BANG" for me a lot more often. :D
  12. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I bought a Romanian WASR-10 a couple of years ago. Not the prettiest rifle in the world, but it sure works good! My only complaint was that the Romanian mags seemed a bit "wobbly" - maybe the guy who cut the bottom of my receiver was having a bad day?
    I found that Bulgarian AK mags fit my gun better.
  13. CampingJosh

The loose fit is because Century Arms converts them to accept double-stack magazines. Instead of making it the correct (read: expensive) way, they just cut a big hole and then attach plates to the inside of the reciever to make a "pretty good" fit. It's crude, but it works.

If they didn't do the conversion, you'd only be able to use single-stack magazines with 5 or 10 round capacity.
  14. ofitg

ofitg New Member

So, Josh, you traded in the AK for a S&W 1000 plus the Keltec P3AT? Sounds like a pretty good exchange.

I don't have any experience with the P3AT, hope it works OK for you. For the past 15 years I've been carrying a Colt Mustang Pocketlite - rides around in my pocket like a .25 auto - I never leave home without it.
    I imagine that a lot of guys will disparage me for carrying a .380.... I tried carrying larger, more potent pistols, but I finally decided that the .380 was right for me. If it was any larger, I probably wouldn't carry it so religiously, and if it was any smaller I wouldn't trust it to get the job done.
  15. CampingJosh

Yeah. I had some ammo and extras that went with the AK, but I think I made out OK.