My Norinco

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ABEC_Joe65, Oct 3, 2010.

1. ABEC_Joe65

ABEC_Joe65 New Member

Ok Now before you all think I am completely off my rocker here, let me explain that there for a while through my life I lived in New Jersey and have now been through 2 divorces since I have even thought about this gun.

Back in the early to mid 90’s, I bought this little Chinese gun that kind of upset me but at the same time it also amazed me with the price. It was called a Norinco and looked like a standard Govt. issue 1911. Being that my last shore duty billet at the time, I was on a Security force for my last base I was stationed at and happened to be the last security force there to carry the 1911 before the Navy changed over to the M-9.

With that being said, I cursed the thing when I had to carry it, but at the same time, I had also gained an attachment to the gun in that time. I remember my Dad talking about when he carried one, he said if you ever ran out of ammunition, you could always throw the gun at the enemy! At the same time, I remember the Gunny in my ear yelling, “Don’t blame the gun for your inability to shoot it!”

Needless to say, I bought the little Jewel for about ½ what I could get a Colt. Needless to say, the first time I shot it, found that the fixed sights were WAY high and right. Needless to say, I was involved in USPSA at the time out in CA when I bought this gun. So I decided I was going to get it all raced up even though it was only a single stack. While I was buying part here and part there, I got transferred to Jersey as I said then didn’t get a chance to get involved in USPSA like I was in Ca. so the gun got put on the back burner.

Fast forward through a divorce, transfer to Virginia, get married, retire from the Navy, move to Georgia and now heading towards divorce #2. I have been bouncing around quite a bit between the first divorce “2005” till present and boxes get moved here and there. Well, the other day, I was cleaning out some things and found where when I had left Jersey, My son who had a complete hatred for me, had “MISPLACED” some parts to this gun which was still in pieces when I had left but did happen to get the frame, slide, grips, trigger and mag release out of it. Every thing else needs to be replaced.

So here I sit with this gun frame and slide and now I have the ambition to put her back together. Nothing fancy this time, But from the last time I was working on it, I had been polishing the slide and found that the Chinese were not big in to deep setting their logo on the frame and I had polished it off. So what I am looking at doing before I take it in to get a good professional bluing done on the frame and slide, I am going to find someone with some engraving skills to have my name and rank as well as the years I served the Navy on it. Yes, it will be a little flashy, but not too much, I will have it milled for adjustable sights as well and then go from there.

Its not going to be that I slam a ton of money in to it right off the bat, still have bills to pay, but will buy a part here and a part there as I was doing before, just don’t have my son around now to “misplace” parts this time.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sounds like a sweet idea man. would like to have before, during and after pics.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Welcome to TFF. As you know. The Norinco is an excellent platform for a build and is one of the few 1911's that Wilson Combat will perform custom work on. I remember the 1st one I ever bought. Paid $260 out the door. I have owned several over the years.

These pistols are an exact Colt clone so all parts will fit. Everything you need is available from www.brownells.com

Keep us posted on your progress. :)
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

shooter, i have heard that wilson would work on a norinco. really made me rethink what used to be a negative opinion of norinco
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

my first attempt to "build a 1911" was with a norinco . i sent away for a kings gun works parts catalog and ordered extended slide release ,thumbsafety , mag release, beaver tail , spring kit, a smith and alexander magazine well/ mainspring houseing. new sights. grips etc.... once i was done i had a very sweet looking great performer that i was later talked into selling , it still works perfectly and gets a lot of attention at the range . very good gun to start with. great platform
  6. ABEC_Joe65

ABEC_Joe65 New Member

Hey all!
    Thanks for the words of inspireation. I will get some pics up of the "parts" and want to keep this thing going with updates as I go along. If you see something that I am doing wrong or what might make something I am doing a little easier as I go along, please feel free to tell me what time it is. I have no problem with constructive input at all!

You all take care and I will get the pics up soon. Just got off work and the early morning will be coming soon.

Later

Joe
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Heck yeah, this will be fun. I'd take a norinco over some other manufactures in a heartbeat.