My old 45

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by the Barbarian, Jan 18, 2012.

1. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

I went to the range last week and ran two boxes of ammo the my 1911A1. So I figured it'd be really dirty and the palm safety was not working as new so I decided two kill two birds with one stone. It turned out I had broken the toe off of the spring last time I had it apart and it finally must have moved enough to cause problems. To the gunsmith who made it I went, whining all the way and he made me take it all completely apart, which I'd never done before and clean it properly. Then he gave me a new one, showed me how to put it in and told me to never let my gun get that dirty again! So much for, He works for me.
  2. garydude

garydude Member

Don't take it personal, but do take his advice to heart. A clean gun will run much more dependably than a dirty one. Our beloved 1911 design has a lot of margin for user error/omission in maintenance, but as with any machine or tool it can only withstand so much neglect before it falters.

I clean mine after every range session- be it 20 or 200 rounds.
  3. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

I usually do too, but have never remover the trigger, extractor, the sear or the firing pin. Man there was a lot of dirt every where. If I learned one thing, it's how to completely disassemble it without damaging it.
  4. garydude

garydude Member

Something might be amiss. I've only detail stripped mine once and there was surprisingly little fouling. I do only run jacketed or plated through it though.

What type of ammo are you using?
  5. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

I took all my empties to the scrap buyer and they weighed 42 pounds, I got $67.29 @$1.50 a pound, I never did buy that reloader.