My Old Hunt Camp

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

My Old Hunt Camp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wish I had pictures but I don't so I'll try to describe it.

I bought a truckload of surplus GP Medium tents from the PDO at Benning and I took a couple of them and made my camp. These tents are ~16x32. I setup one and dropped one end down to ground at the ridgepole and staked it to the ground. Then I framed and built a door in this vertical wall. I then took a second GP Med tent and cut the walls off and cut one end of the roof out from the ridge beam to the end. I overlapped this tent with the first. So now I've got a tent ~16x48, with 24' open and 24' enclosed.

I floored the enclosed tent with wood pallets covered with OSB decking. I installed 3/8" copper tubing and connected to 250 gal propane tank. Connected two Coleman propane lanterns and two space heaters to gas system. Moved in two regular double beds, two twin beds, a recliner, poker table, folding chairs, and low credenza cabinet. This tent in 15-20 deg weather stayed a toasty 65-70 deg. Used about 100 gallons of propane per year.

I installed salvaged cabinets in the open tent. Connected a freestanding propane stove with oven. Set up 3x8 tables for meals.

This setup lasted six years and was still strong when I took it down and left that hunt club. Had a freak Alabama snow storm, with snow about 18" deep on the roof in '93, and it did not tear and not one tent stake pulled out of the ground.

This is a cheap setup, comfortable and somewhat portable. It was great sleeping in the cold weather and in rain storms.

Had minor inconvenience with field mice, but didn't bother anyone but the women. Wife woke me one night saying something was in the tent. Told her it was just the mice running on a cabinet. She said it couldn't be mice it sounded like it had paws as big as dogs. Now this gets me how women can get so scared over a little mouse, when one night we were camping, she chased, fought and faced down a coon over a dozen eggs!

The good ole days at hunt camp!

Xracer
    (6/13/01 8:08:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My Old Hunt Camp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like a fun place to be.

Hey, tents worked for the 4077th MASH....if it was good enough for Hawkeye Pierce, should be good enough for you.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/13/01 9:46:51 am)
    tuckerd1, thats how our original camp was set up(tents) and also had a small travel pop-up, but a drunk cook burned it down and no TL it wasn`t me. We also had a close call by the same person when he decided to fell a large dead tree behind the first cabin.....he sized it up.....decided where to make the backcut......TIIIMMMBBEEERRRRRR......BOOOM!!! Missed the cabin by inches and hit the ground so hard, it shifted the cabin off the blocks.......so we had to reset and relevel the cabin.....but we`re always looking for something to do, because we never have much to do down there

Kdubya
    (6/13/01 2:47:30 pm)
    Lived in one of them Army squad tents for 18 long months, about half of them freezing my a$$ off, in Frozen Chosin. Even had the winter liner in it. Eight of us called it home - had a mess hall table in the center, between the 2 little oil burner stoves. Table was for letter writing and the long running poker games (payday to payday). Light was by gov't candles that stank, smoked and burned fast.

Ah, the memories!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

tuckerd1
    (6/13/01 3:31:24 pm)
    LTS, That fella needs some close supervision!

KW, I had the winter liners I could have installed, but we rarely had enough cold weather to actually need em. I bought a 24' flatbed full of GP Medium and Small tents, liners and canvas tarps. The ones leftover sold like hotcakes.

These old camps like these can be a lot of fun trying to figger out how to arrange em and make better without spending any money. Use anything we could salvage to do the job. But still try to provide as many conveniences as you can.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (6/13/01 4:56:37 pm)
    tuckerd1, couldn`t run off the cook at that time...to many folks to feed back then, besides he had great benefits that came with him(outside the fact, he was someones daddy-in-law and related to me also) He retired 20years LEO and then went in the Fire Dept and did 20.....retired "Chief" from both, a cook from HELL!!! Scratch biscuits and the whole shooting match. His motto: "It`s so good, i`tal eat from any side ya grab it". and you can only imagine the jokes from all the time listed above...mean ass domino player too. Old Charter was his weakness, but at 72 years of age, he not only earned it, he deserved it. He probably can still work me into the ground too, stout as a bull and a laugh that would bring a smile up on a dead man. Helped build most all you see in the pictures, including the outhouse.....which is deadly in the summer time..............ouWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! LTS

tuckerd1
    (6/13/01 5:11:47 pm)
    Sounds like a hella of a guy. Would like to meet him! I also like to cook in the camp. My motto "It ain't fit to eat!", as everyone is chokin it down. Like dominos too.

Got an outhouse story. A buddy and I were prefishing for a bass tournament on Lake Seminole, Fl one day. We getting the boat ready to launch and I had to go. I went in the porta-john at the ramp and while I was in there, I choked on my own spit. Real coordinated stuff, don't ya know. Anyhow, I came stumbling out gasping for air, coughing and choking big time. My buddy thought I was joking about the smell, until I started turning blue. Scared the hell outta him, so he finally grabs me and gives me a quick squeeze or two from behind and under my chest bone and helps me catch my breath. I don't know who it scared the most!

Afterthought, he was one of those Texas transplants into Alabama. Good ole boy.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (6/13/01 5:36:50 pm)
    .......ah....ah...I don`t know what to say, Bass Fishin, Huh? Sold my pride and joy last Jan. after 6 years of dredging deep water cranks and carolinas, trying to make a sack and beat the clock, have now converted back to river trash. hehe...got a few of those ole stories too, like how to rod drag a 15lb Bass into the boat for a kicker, just outside the weigh in boundries with only 5 minutes to spare........LTS

TallTLynn
    (6/13/01 7:38:16 pm)
    LTS - I wouldn't of even thought it was you. Sounds like that cook deserved to get drunk when he wanted - but damn he's dangerous!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (6/14/01 11:58:47 am)
    TL, it really sounds bad, but most of it was funnier than hell and he never had a cash problem...if you know what I mean. The camp originally started in 1992, so as you can see two funny things in nine years really ain`t so bad, but there are some good fishing stories though......ya-no.....ya might be a "redneck" if`in yer to drunk ta fish.....we`ve been there, in the river too. Camp is therapy and away from the rat race, mostly drinking and lying, with a few days set back for fishing and hunting. We power hunt and fish, clean and pack the meat..........then start lying and playing dominoes, with alittle drinking????????????? and pondering.................LTS

tuckerd1
    (6/14/01 12:17:45 pm)
    The best part of hunting from a camp is the time spent in the camp! Good company, good food and good beer. The hunt is secondary.

And your right LTS, it is good therapy. My wife just doesn't understand??!!

Kdubya
    (6/14/01 1:32:30 pm)
    I enjoy all aspects of the hunt - The preparation, the getting to and from, Ah, 1st mornings! Being out in the pucker brush anticipating the game, horseback riding, noon naps, stretched out in a comfortable chair at camp in the evening, around the mandatory fire ring with a mixed drink or coffee royal in hand, bs'ing while the steaks smoke and sizzle on the grill - Now, that's therapy!!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

tuckerd1
    (6/14/01 3:41:05 pm)
    Amen KW!! It don't get no better!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (6/14/01 3:49:51 pm)
    ......ya left out "pondering" ,very important around the fire, while waiting for others to come back in.

Kdubya
    (6/14/01 10:54:53 pm)
    Yeah, LTS -

ya gotta do that staring inta the fire! Ever notice when around a campfire, EVERYONE is staring inta the embers? Wonder what aboriginal genes bring that on?
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!