My poor wife's marigold's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76Highboy, Aug 7, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know better than to put straight nitrogen on fruit bearing plants, vegetables plants, and flowering plants because you will end up with big beautiful green leaves, and nothing else. However, when we planted my wife's marigolds in her rustic cart (cart was from her deceased father) we started with some good Miracle Grow soil and planted the seeds.

So one day shortly after they were sprouting as I was fertilizing the lawn, I had some 47-0-0,,, you know what that means. The yard looks goooood. Hey, the fertilizer was free and I had plenty of it to go around. I was walking around with the hand spreader meticulously applying the nitrogen when the thought crossed my mind to give the marigolds a "Little" shot of good old 47". So I did. The marigolds were supposed to be about 11" in height. They did not have any flowers for the longest time, but the last few weeks they have began blooming and they are pretty healthy. As for the stalks, they are thick like a miniature tree and have grown to over 3 feet. Nitrogen fertilizer is amazing stuff.

Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

HAHA, those are the tallest marigolds I have ever seen.
  3. skullfr

skullfr New Member

man them thigs are pretty
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

LOL never seen a marigolds tree before.....
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

yeah, yeah, looks nice. now get to work on them weeds and trim the lawn you slacker. LOL

my yard started out nice this year. I fertilized and watered often. started cutting the grass longer and mulching it. trimmed the bushes. planted cute little flowers in the boxes and all. then along came the drought. my flowers are all dead and the lawn looks like crap. it crunches when you walk on it.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We are not experiencing drought here, but the 100+ temps are hard on the lawn. I have had to fertilize more often.