My project is started!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gun-nut, Aug 24, 2012.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Yes!:) my house project is under way! Last weekend i started to take all the old dry wall down. Still in the process of taking the drywall out. What a mess! This weekend is to finish that up and relax a bit. Then next weekend the old roof and the old joists are coming off. Taking Thurs.nite off from work and that following Tuesday off to do this roof and rebuilding project. 5 days off of work just to work at home.:eek: What a drag!!! This has been a long time in the works. Lots of over time and saving money. This flat roof has leaked for the last time!:D Time to have a nice peak and a steel roof. Not to say but it will help with the upside down morgage i have. The hell with Obama and all his BS. I will make it! I dont need any bail out money! I did this myself!!! I am one rough tuff little misplaced hillbilly! I will be able to finish the rewiring as well. New insulation will be welcomed so greatly that i might be able to sleep during the day, as i do work 3rd shift. All that old blown stuff has settled in the walls and its only about 3 feet from the floor.:rolleyes: Now i know why i can here every darn noise in this town in my house. I will have up picks sometime this weekend and will keep my family here on the TFF updated as this goes on. The electrical is one heck of a story but to put it all in a nut shell. I had only 2 yap thats right only 2 cuircits running this 800 sqft. house.(By the grace of God it has never burnt down) Now i have a 20 curict 100 amp curcit breaker panel. Its been nice to see the electric bill drop!:D Thanks for letting me vent a bit guys!
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Looking forward to the pics.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

sounds like a lot of work, be careful plenty of insulation will lower the bills also. You are putting on a metal roof?
  4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

if you are going with metal, and have a few extra $$, look into isynene insulation in the attic. great stuff!
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son and I remodeled our whole house. We started when he was about 11 years old. He is 22 now. We finished 2 years ago. We removed all the drywall in each room and re-insulated every room. 1 room at a time.

We had a basement put under the house and put a bathroom, 2 bedrooms, den and a laundry room. We did all the work ourselves with the exception of the concrete basement and dig out. Went from 100 amp service to 200 amp. Did all the re-wiring.

It was a lot of fun and my son learned more than any school could teach him. I think he is pretty much done with my project. 9 years was enough.

I want to redo the kitchen as its 9 years old now.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

oohhh, remodel project. I want pics

it's even more fun when you take down lath and plaster. my old house (1916 Craftsman house) was a real chore to work on. the studs were so hard it took a 1/2" drill to run drywall screws in. add in the fact it was balloon construction and 2 layers thick of blow-in and nothing was level or plumb. yeah, get that door straight!
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

One thing to maybe note with puting on a metal roof, some use felt paper.
    And I have seen alot of roofers use it.
    However, if your going with a new metal roof, most manufactures of the metal have a
    warrantee with new metal, and it is only good when used with the vapor barrier used
    with the installation, and they wont cover the warrantee with felt paper.

Looking forward to pics of the progress and good luck.
  8. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Yes i will have plenty of insulation in this house this time. The metal roof will not have a warrantee. They are just the protective sheets that they use for protective top sheets when shipping so its scratched up a little but i have the proper paint to repaint the steel. got it at a supper good discount. I will be useing the OSB for the roof deck and the Felt paper. then i will insulate the rafters for the rain noise. this project is 1/2 of my little house. The goel is to lower them heating bills. Not that thats that bad as i just got my new budjet and its only going to be $57.00 a month this year. down from last year. That was at $86.00 a month, but we had that miled winter last year. so i hope that i will be about the same next year or less with this project. This is the south and west sides of the houst thats getting the repairs. and that winter wind hits that side. I just want to try to get this house in top shape as i do and want so bad to move to southren Ohio or KY with in the next 2 years. ( i will ask for help from you all for jobs and land when it comes time for that move) This house is all on natrail gas. Thats the water heater, stove, and dryer. when i rewire it it will have the option for electric stove and dryer. I plan to just use the gas for now. Its still cheeper then the electric at this point. I have Toledo Edison for my electric so i do pay a bit higher then others. I have been looking at the LED lights and boy they are a bit pricey but i know that they save on the amps. the picks are on the phone and i will down load them tomarow. But i got to get my butt in gear and get moving. see ya latter on to nite.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here are some pix of our project.
    Roof.JPG
    This was the 1st thing to get done.
    Insulation.JPG
    Working inside the basement.
    Staircase.JPG
    Staircase was the hardest to get right.

The whole family pitched in. No child labor laws in this house. :)
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Insulating for rain noise? I love the sound of rain on a metal roof at night while laying in bed going to sleep....but I do understand it can get too loud too....
  11. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I do as well but i do plan to sell this place. but i want to build a true log house on a mountin side. That will have all that open space and thats where i plan to retire and die. I will have the true log rafters and just the roof so i can enjoy the sound of the falling rain on the roof. In fact i have been drawing up the plans for my log home. It will all be open but the 2 bedrooms and bathroom. It will have a wood burner and all log furniture in it that i plan to make myself.
  12. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Thats about what mine is looking like right now!
  13. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Ok i took a break! So here are a few picks of the house from the outside. Its a small house but its what i could aford to buy at the time. It is a 3 beedroom and it is 22'X44' Its is small but its a roof over my head.:) The last pick is the first hole for the rip out of the old. Everything from the peaked roof to the left will be ripped off Thats 1/2 of the roof. the new will be a peaked roof. and will blend in to the old peak.

Attached Files:

14. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Here are a few more of this mess! These are not in any order just posting.

Attached Files:

15. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

A few more!

Attached Files: