My Reasons For Hating Facebook Keep Growing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raven818, Jun 26, 2012.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Published: June 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

MENLO PARK, Calif., June 26 (UPI) -- Facebook users are complaining they have a new default e-mail address in their user profiles, courtesy of Facebook, whether they wanted it or not.

Facebook is automatically posting those @facebook.com addresses to users' profiles and displaying them as the default e-mail address, CNN reported Monday.

Facebook has been rolling out the change for "a few weeks," the social networking site told CNN.

However, many users said they weren't aware of it until blog posts and news articles began to appear Monday.

One of the first bloggers to draw attention to the change was Gervase Markham, who expressed outrage at the site's action.

"Facebook silently inserted themselves into the path of formerly direct unencrypted communications from people who want to e-mail me. In other contexts, this is known as a 'man in the middle' attack," he wrote, referring to a tactic hackers use to intercept electronic messages. "What on earth do they think they are playing at?"

Facebook for its part seemed surprised at the negative reaction to its decision.

"We basically defaulted to show your Facebook address as we rolled this out, just to keep it consistent for everyone," Meredith Chin, Facebook's manager of product communications, told CNN.

While users can change the setting to display whatever e-mail address they like, by default the visible address will be an @facebook.com listing.

http://tinyurl.com/77ud52u
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i note Meredith Chin does not have a public face book listing

so she would not need to worry but the rest of the USERs.. suckers ...
  3. bobski

bobski Former Guest

first it was high school reunion websites.
    now its facbook.
    no hiding.
    no privacy.

btw...you need to change your thread title. its not 'hate'. its you 'dislike.'
    you know...that stupid thumbs down thing they use?:D:p
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. raven818

Jack, I posted a few months ago that I had joined them, and dropped the account the next day. They had sent everyone in my email address book a request from me to be my friend. I had folks still in there from working that I cannot stomach, and they know it, and they get a friend request from me.
    WTF is that?

I use an email bouncer just for facebook, and I still cannot get them from sending friend requests from the same people, over and over.

I personally wrote a guy last night and told him to take me off his freeking list. I told him, if he's interested, to take a look at the garbage facebook drops on his PC ( trackers, LSO's, etc. ) and see if he liked it. I told him I didn't and to leave me alone. He used to be the President of a fishing club I belong to. Well, I guess we went our separate ways, cause he didn't write back.

I am picky to the extreme about my friends, including those on my list here. I like to watch folks for a while, in order to know where they're coming from.

Properly used, IMO, Friend is a pretty heavy word. It means I would invite those folks into my home for a meal. I don't break bread with DS's.

I don't need no steenkin machine picking them for me. :mad:

Was that a rant? Whatever. :rolleyes:
  5. bobski

bobski Former Guest

6. bobski

bobski Former Guest

i was told by my grandmother, that if you can count your friends on one hand, youre lucky.
    today.....its 10,000 to be 'popular'.
    not me.
    i was taught by very wise people that humans are broken down into catagories.
    1. family....you die for.
    2. friends...you fight for.
    3. neighbors....you assist.
    4. aquaintances....you run from.
    ----------------
    99% of everyone i know is an aquaintance.
    and that hasnt changed in decades.
  7. raven818

I make an attempt to best describe the contents of my new posts, with language that best describes the content. If I said I 'disliked' facebook, that wouldn't properly convey the message.

In fact, it would be misleading. :D
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I hate FB too.
  9. bobski

bobski Former Guest

see the smiley face? it was a joke. as in...how silly facbook is. who are we to rate people based on a computer.
    crazy world we live in indeed.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

with 80% of FB admins based in lahore pakistan what is there to trust ?? they hire folks who hate us , who leak out info so artists can be ambushed and killed for insulting allah but thats ok cant say that ..

Facebook = terrorists, perverts and all other delights of islam
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I don't post my e-mail on FB.
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I liked your description and I thank you for not misleading me. :D You would make a terrible politician because you are direct and to the point and don't mislead people. :D BTW, I hate FB too.
  13. raven818

Cost me more than one promotion over the years. The term Brown Nosing is still alive and well. :rolleyes:
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Me too but then just look at how pathetic we arn't.
  15. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I have watched people get all wound up over this facebook thing. another board I belong to went and got some FB group thing. I told them I am happy with the board but have no desire at all to join some snooty online group just to look cool.
    I totally understand your stand against brown nosing. I have instilled in my son how kissing my butt will make me mad.

Jesus didn't brown nose, why should anyone else?
  16. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

I have a love hate relationship with FB. On one hand I can keep up with family out east, On the other the FREAKIN drama:mad:
  17. stumper1300

stumper1300 New Member

I have yet to have any of the issues you all are describing.other than the drama and that just helps me know what people are really like.lol
  18. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

My wife made me one then gets mad when I don't get on it. I never wanted myspace face book or twitter(I know some twits wouldn't want anyone to get me mixed up with em). I found yall bout the same time she did that and I've only been over there twice. Tells ya what I think of it.
  19. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Not a fan of facebook either. I don't want to know what people are doing all the time and I sure don't want them to know what I am doing either.

My sister in law is a facebook addict, she must check it every 20 minutes to see what everyone is up to. She even has it on her cell phone.
  20. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Why are you mad at Facebook for sending friend requests. It was you that authorized it to do that. I love to see people all butt hurt over fb when you had to click OK for it to do that.