My Review of Barry's Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hjsmith00843, Jun 29, 2012.

1. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

i recently asked for opinions on Barry s bullets and more often than not they were negative.

I went ahead and purchased some 115 Grain RP Hollow Bullets and I have had great success with them.

I dont currently have a chronograph so I can not give you the velocity just the on target results and feel of the weapon.

Started with 4.4 Grains of HP-38 with a OAL of 1.116

At 25 yards I held a group of 2.5 inches in 5 shots. Not great but the weapon did not feel snappy.

I upped the load to 4.9 grains of HP-38 with a OAL of 1.110

Holy Cow. I fired 5 times and the hole appears to be just one large hole. It was dead on.

The weapon felt very snappy worked perfectly. I just loaded about 400 rounds on my handpress and I am a hurting person today. lol
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, giving a bullet weight and powder charge without mentioning which cartridge is kinda useless info, but you're new at this, so I'll cut you some slack.

Don't know why you'd get bad reviews about Berrys. I've had nothing but good luck with them.

But then, you keep saying "Barrys", with an A. I've never heard of them. Are we talking about different bullet companies?
  3. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

Haaa forgot that info. lol. 9mm mixed brass.
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I reload a lot with Barry's; both 9mm and 45 ACP. Never had a problem and they shoot well.
  5. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

I did gets come 38 special and 40 cal bullets. I will try those out this weekend. Wife is away this weekend so I plan on making alot of rounds. Almost out of primers right now. Might have to head to bass pro and get some more.
  6. garydude

garydude Member

Yikes Man, don't do that! My Bass Pro Shop has them for twice what everyone else has them for. You may want to call around and get some over-the-phone prices and compare.

Glad you had success with Berry's bullets. Good stuff that.
  7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I remember that original thread, it was a slamfest. :) Good you had good luck - that's what I have with Berry's stuff. http://www.berrysmfg.com/
  8. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

That is the only place that I know of that sells them. Who else would have them?
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Others have had good luck with Barrys Plated bullets, alas, I cannot say the same. I only used the . 38 Special, 148 Gr. HBWC. Regardless of the brass used, new or old, I had a number of crumpled brass. The average was about 1in 8. I had two, 250 round boxes, One I took back unopened and I have abut 150 left in the other box. I no longer will use Barrys. That is the only brand of bullets I have ever had that problems with. I assume they are over size but it is not worth the time and effort to measure them. I just put them to one side and will find another use for them.:eek: Because of the problems with the .38SPL. I don't think I will even try them in any other caliber.
  10. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Berry's Manufacturing.....St George Utah
    YES.....use a FEW of their plated projectiles......
    Love 'em...love 'em....love 'em !!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
    Double Struck, Uniform Weight, Uniform Size,
    and 'affordable' compared to many others.
    I use a few Hornady and a few Montana Gold,
    but I keep 10 or 15 gross of bErry's on hand always !!:cool:

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
  11. garydude

garydude Member

Try the local listings for gun stores and give them a call. I have a sportsmans warehouse near me, and when they have them in stock they run about 27-30 bucks for a thousand. Good luck and keep posting your range results!
  12. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Rj, if you just want to get rid of them I'll take those Berrys 38 bullets. :) I haven't loaded plated for my Smith yet, just 9mm and 7.62x39mm.