My review/opinion of my Stoegar Cougar!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hoodedmonk, Jan 23, 2012.

1. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

So I bought a new Stoegar Cougar about a week ago and finally got to shoot it Yesterday(Sunday) I put 100 rounds through it. I want to start out by saying I'm pretty new to Semi autos so bare with me. I've shot a few and this is only the third one I've ever owned. Anyways for what it's worth here we go! The gun performed excellent as far as mechanical is concerned, 0 stove pipes and 0 failure to feed no jams ect. for the first 100 rounds ever through the gun. The magazine/clip was a bear to get 15 rds. in for the first 50 or so. I finally did get'er done though. The weather could have played a part though, it was snowing outside and my hands were freezing lol. Recoil was about the same as the Taurus I owned a few years back I was expecting it to be a little smoother but it has been a few years since I've shot anything other than my 22mag revolver so it could just be me. The trigger was on the stiff side in double action mode but pretty good in single. I have heard from others on this site that it takes about 300 rds. for the trigger to get really smooth but again just to be clear, it wasnt bad. I will have to get back to everyone on Accuracy becase at first I couldnt hit the sie of a barn with it but the last 15 rds I shot I was starting to shoot it a little better. I hit a coulple of clay Pigeons with it at about 10 yds.(Pigeons were on the ground sticking out of the snow) I will get back out there again this weekend and with any luck the weather will be a littlle better. Breaking down the gun to clean was a breeze and it went back together easily and without any Hick-ups. (thank you you tube) It is a little on the Heavy side as far as carry and I will probably by another gun to put my conceal and carry permit to good use, but I think this gun should serve me well for a home defense and camping partner. Overall I like it and I think with a little practice I will be able to shoot it well. I will post again after my next outing. Anyone else who has any experience with this gun please post on this thread, I look forward to hearing your experiences. thanks HM.
  2. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Well I put another 100 rds. through'er last Sat. Performed flawless. I seem to be hitting low and to the right but my buddy that was shooting with me put 15 in the head at 12 yds! He said he just lined up the sights. Proved to me the gun was accurate even though I'm not lol. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? (I love the gun so far) hoping to put another 100 through this weekend and improve my accuracy a little. Oh and just for the record all rds. were fmj 115's the first being Remington and the second being Federal.
  3. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Another question! How often do you guys clean your semi's I cleaned mine after both times I've shot it. It's simple to take apart and put back together just wondering if it's overkill or not? I will probably shoot this gun quite a bit so any input would be great thanks.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

I clean mine after every shoot
  5. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Me too! A clean gun is like a sharp knife. Its too easy for crud to build up that could hurt things.

I get a real satisfied feeling in taking it apart and cleaning the weapon. Then, putting it back together.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. garydude

garydude Member

Monk,
    My father has one in 40 cal. that I like alot. I can shoot it quite well, but he shoots it low, always. I think he anticipates the recoil and that is what pulls it low. The mag is a royal PITA to load, but I'm pretty sure there is an aftermarket mag loading tool that would be a benefit. Check this out and see if it would fit your pistol.

His has always been fully reliable, recoil very manageable, and as you said, take down and cleaning are a breeze. Keep cleaning after every range session. All firearms will perform best when clean.

Good Luck with it and keep us posted!
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

try this

Attached Files:

8. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Put another 100 rds. through'er today! Gun did great with the exception of one rd. that failed to fire. I ejected the rd. and you could see where the fireing pin had struck the cartridge so not sure what happened. I did not attempt to use that rd. again. I do want to say that I'm not very impressed with the Winchester white box ammo that I used today. My gun seemed to be alot dirty'er than normal and had my first dud(any opinions on this?) I will probably try and stick with Remington or Federal for cheap target ammo. My accuracy was a little better today as well I changed my grip around a little. It's still nothing to right home and tell mom about but at 10yds.....
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  9. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Well shot another box of 100 through 'er today. I had one failure to feed and one bullit didnt fit in the clip??? Winchester white box(BOO!) I'm not very impressed with this ammo so far. It will work in a pinch for target rds, but I will try and buy Federal or Remmington if I can. Loving the gun so far though and getting a little more acurate with it. I knocked a few cans over with it at about 12 yards and I'm not hitting as low as I was. The only thing I have really changed is my grip a little. I will post again when I get to 1000 rds. and give my opinion but I think the gun will proove reliable.
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me monk. You are 400 rounds ahead of me this winter as I haven't fired around since before Christmas. As to the loading of the magazines get your self one of these. They really take the hassle out of loading the double stack mags. I may have missed it but what caliber is your Cougar? There seems to be occasional bad round from most of the low cost ammo packages out there today. I have heard some of the same complaints on the bulk Remington ammo.

http://www.maglula.com/PistolMagLoaders.aspx
  11. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

9mm
  12. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

I'm glad you have a good trigger on yours. I tested one about five years ago and I thought the trigger was awful. Lots of dead space to take up on the single action pull.
  13. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

I like the trigger on mine but I guess I really cant say it's a good trigger due to my lack of handgun experience. I've shot a few but probably not near as many as most of the members on here. I can say that In my opinion it is smoother than the Smith & Wesson SD that I was looking at and not as spongy as the Ruger P95 that was also on my list. I also owned a Tauraus 911 (not 1911) for a short while that if I remember right was similar to my Stoeger. I just recently had a chance to shoot a Colt 1911 and a Tauraus 24/7 45 cal last weekend both shot very nice but I wouldnt say better than my Stoeger. Well on second thought the 1911 was a better shooter. All of the other hand guns I have shot were revolvers I believe.
  14. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Have a Stoeger Cougar compact 9mm (shorter grip 13 rounds) 9mm and it is my favorite gun. Shoots well, low recoil, accurate and dependable. These guns are becoming more popular as they should. Great for home defense and sometimes I carry mine IWB.

Very nice gun!
  15. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

I probably have around 700 rds. through mine now and outside of a box of Winchester white box I've had 0 issues. Even with the WWB I only had 1 stove pipe.
  16. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

Yep! I reccomend!
  17. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use Winchester white box in my Beretta all the time. Never had an issue. You may have got a bad box. I have had problems with Remington in my 9 mil and my 44 mag.

Get an Auto-loader like the one on Beretta's web site. They work good.
  18. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

I think I can give you the solution to your FTF on that one round. I had a major jamming problem with a new M&P 9c and I posted full coverage in a thread in the center-fire section. A part of the problems I had was several rounds that failed to fire even though there was a small dent in the primers. What I did was to remove and clean the firing pin and its bore. I also took care to use a dry-film cleaner/lube. In my case I used Eezox but there are several others such as CLP, Weapon Shield, Mil-Spec and Gunzilla (I think). The idea is to clean it and leave it dry and oil free to avoid attracting dirt and gunk. When I completed the work on my 9c it performed perfectly. No more failures to feed or fire. Learn how to remove the firing pin and, possibly, the extractor and keep them clean.

From the studying I have been doing on the subject, I have come to the opinion that it is not necessary to clean your gun every time you shoot it even though that is what I tend to do. Just don't let it get too filthy. In fact, I just read somewhere that it is a good recommendation that if you carry then you should never carry a clean gun. I think that reasoning is aimed at autos and is supposed to ensure that you put it together right the last time you cleaned it by firing a few rounds before any critical situation arises. Also, the use of these dry-film cleaner/lubes seems to keep the gun cleaner and makes it easier to clean next time.