The Firearms Forum banner

My Ruger SR1911 and Ruger SBH 3 Screw Update

Tags
1911 ruger
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  76Highboy 
#1 ·
I have taken my Ruger SR1911 out two times, and today was one of those times. This is what I have shot through it.

100 rounds of Remington factory FMJ-RN.
100 rounds of 185gr HP-XTP, 5.3gr, 5.7gr, 6.2gr, and 6.6gr of Bullseye.
100 rounds 0f 20gr. HP-HTP, 5.0gr, and 5.4gr of WIN 231.

I have had no jamming issues. The pistol groups nice with everything without having to sight it in. I have shot 1911's before, but this is the first one that I have personally owned and I am hooked. I like how it points and feels in my hand. However, I will say my grouping past about 10 yards was rotten but we were shooting in the desert at about 2:00pm and the temp was 102 degrees. So needless to say the shot groups went right out the window after awhile. I need to go out when it is cooler and put it on paper, but it doesn't look like it is going to cool down around here for awhile.

As for my Ruger SBH 3 screw, I love this revolver. I think it is my favorite. I have been shooting the HP-XTP 240gr bullets with WIN 296. I have ran all of the recipe loads stated in the Hornady manual and this revolver seems to like 24.5gr best. All the loads shoot fine, but as far as putting it on paper my 25 yard groups are nice with the 24.5gr. I have no problem hitting a pop can off hand at 100 yards. I am thinking I may do a short range hunt for my buck this year and I will use this gun, and the HP-XTP 240gr with 24.5gr.

Sorry I have no pics. There was no memory card in the camera. I will do better next time.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have taken my Ruger SR1911 out two times, and today was one of those times. This is what I have shot through it.

100 rounds of Remington factory FMJ-RN.
100 rounds of 185gr HP-XTP, 5.3gr, 5.7gr, 6.2gr, and 6.6gr of Bullseye.
100 rounds 0f 20gr. HP-HTP, 5.0gr, and 5.4gr of WIN 231.

I have had no jamming issues. The pistol groups nice with everything without having to sight it in. I have shot 1911's before, but this is the first one that I have personally owned and I am hooked. I like how it points and feels in my hand. However, I will say my grouping past about 10 yards was rotten but we were shooting in the desert at about 2:00pm and the temp was 102 degrees. So needless to say the shot groups went right out the window after awhile. I need to go out when it is cooler and put it on paper, but it doesn't look like it is going to cool down around here for awhile.

As for my Ruger SBH 3 screw, I love this revolver. I think it is my favorite. I have been shooting the HP-XTP 240gr bullets with WIN 296. I have ran all of the recipe loads stated in the Hornady manual and this revolver seems to like 24.5gr best. All the loads shoot fine, but as far as putting it on paper my 25 yard groups are nice with the 24.5gr. I have no problem hitting a pop can off hand at 100 yards. I am thinking I may do a short range hunt for my buck this year and I will use this gun, and the HP-XTP 240gr with 24.5gr.

Sorry I have no pics. There was no memory card in the camera. I will do better next time.
Hey Highboy, Congratulations on your first 1911,good pick. I will keep looking for a SR1911 when they show up up close to retail. Our little town has 4 mom and pop gun shops and the closest Cabella's or Sportsmans is 180 miles away in Pheonix . You are on track with 5.0 231 and a 200 grain H&G style bullet that was my old I.P.S.C. load and it made power factor and was accurate. You might want to try some Titegroup I have found it works as well in everything from 38 spec.to 45 colt.
And the 44 mag is near and dear to my heart I still have my first S&W M.29 that I bought in 1972 in the middle of the Dirty Harry craze. I have killed 4 nice mule deer with it and shot many thousands of rounds. Your super is even stonger and is also a great gun. Have you tried any 44 specials through yours they are less punishing and very very accurate. I rarely shoot my 44 mags any more since I have several 44 specials to play with single or double action

#3 · (Edited)
Highboy how is the slide on the 1911? We are getting them in stock now around here and I went to look at one. The pull on the slide was very stiff. The slide release was also very hard to work. Will it free up some with a few round through it?

I also looked at the Remington 1911 and it was much easier to pull the slide and release. The looks of that Ruger and the guarantee make me want to go with that.

#4 ·
The remington enhanced is a good choice as well.....

#5 ·
Highboy how is the slide on the 1911? We are getting them in stock now around here and I went to look at one. The pull on the slide was very stiff. The slide release was also very hard to work. Will it free up some with a few round through it?

I also looked at the Remington 1911 and it was much easier to pull the slide and release. The looks of that Ruger and the guarantee make me want to go with that.
The slide on my Ruger is compramable to the Reminton. The Remington and Springfield are the next two must have's for my 1911 pistols. I am really hooked on them and have my fangs out for my next two. I bought my Ruger because it became available and it took me a while to find one. I did not buy the Ruger because it was any better because I don't know that it is. I would have to have all 3 side by side and shoot them for quite a while to see which one is the best however, if I could only have one I think I would lean towards the Springfireld from what I have heard, read, and held in my hands. But, that is not from experience. The bright side, sooner or later I will have one of each, and probably a few more.

Sheesh, I am spoiled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.