My Savage and planning on buying another one.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice Rifle and awesome Change, Fast Forward!
  2. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

To say nothing about also adding 4 inchs to the barrel,,I hope the Elmers holds ;);)
  3. Zane71464

What Model (25?) is that FF, and you went with the 26" barrel?
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

IT Started as Stevens 200 I bought for 200.00,,Bought a 223 Target/Varmit which a Member of MN Guntalk offered me a deal on ,,The Boyds stock which is a complete drop-in for the 22 inch Skinney Barrel took a lot of Sanding to get the Fat Barrel to fit,,it,s close but I,m going to bed the action and will also add about an inch to the stock for a better fit,,,the Rifle complete with Scope weighs in at a touch over 11lbs,,kinda heaftie but I,ts a Range Queen ,,I estimate my total investment with the exception of the scope to be around 600.00 don,t know if thats reasonable but I also gained some great Knowledge from a Gunsmith who helped me with the install
  5. hoodedmonk

hoodedmonk New Member

A Savage Axis 270 is in my very near future.
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

uh okay? Thanks for your opinion.
  7. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I have a 12 LRPV which is essentially the same rifle as the target rifles except they have H-S Precision stocks instead of the Savage laminate stocks. It's hard to argue with that difference though. It also has a 4" shorter barrel but most think that's a better setup than the target model's 30" barrel because the barrel doesn't have enough weight up front to make the rifle want to tip forward like the target models do. That LRPV practically shoots itself. It is so easy to be accurate with that thing it almost takes the fun out of shooting. Almost. :) I wouldn't want to carry it around the woods hunting though.

I have 2 Savage .22's (MkIIBTV and a Stevens 15-A which is made by Savage of course) and a 110 in 30.06 too. I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. I'll take the 30.06 if I want to hunt anything bigger and I'll take either one of the rimfires for hunting squirrels. The 15-A is a single shot (so is the LRPV) and it's probably taken more squirrels than any rifle I've ever seen. It's been handed down through the family since the early 1950's and it has always been very accurate so it's been a favorite for tree rats.

Savage does make some fine rifles.
  8. Zane71464

...yes sir, they do!!!
    I've got a few but the one i like best is the model 12 bvss in
    .223. tack driver and it's never had a "bad day"! ;)
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id bet good money if you owned as many savages as i have and torn into as many as i have your opinion would mirror mine.

Not that the 25 is a bad rifle in .223. I just dont care for it. I consider the platform a bit "flimsy" for anything bigger than .22 hornet.
  10. wingspar

wingspar Member

Nice looking rifle. What scope do you have on it? I have considered a bolt rifle in .223, but not serious about it yet. I have a Mini-14 and seriously looking at my first AR, which I plan to mount a scope on for accuracy. Till very recently, I’ve never looked at Savage rifles, but am pretty serious on getting a 93R17 GVXP as an entry level .17 HMR to play with. Nothing but good things on that gun, and cheaper than .223.
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Its a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 Dusk and Dawn. $100 dollar scope but gets the job done.
  12. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thanks for the info. :)