My Savage Mark II

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Trevor1837, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Well I've been here a while and figured it's finally time to get some pics of my guns up. I'll start with my favorite .22, a Savage Mark II BV

Here's a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just thought it was finally time I got around to posting a few pics, and I hope you enjoyed!
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. Munch

Munch Member

Great looking Savage! I have the mark II as well, but mine has a composite stock. Is that wood factory original or did you add that? Regardless, I love the look of it and would much rather that over my black tupperware.
  3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son has this. What a tack driver.
  4. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I have a Mk II BTV with the walnut composite stock. The T designates a thumbhole. It truly is a tack driver especially with match grade ammo. I also think that these are really good looking rifles and the prices are great. I bought mine a couple of years ago when my club started a rimfire rifle tac match. I put a 4-16 X 40 scope that I had to shim for the 200 yd shots. Unfortunately I had to drop out of the shoots due to illness but still shoot the rifle.
  5. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

That's the factory stock, I really like how it looks.
  6. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Yeah this thing shoots incredibly, ragged holes out to 75 yards when I use Wolf, and it gives me ragged holes out to 60 yards with CCI subsonic hollowpoints, which is what I use for plinking and hunting. I love it.
  7. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I also have a BTV. It's the best shooting .22 I own including a CZ 453. It's just barely better than the 453 but every little bit helps. I've shot some groups with that Savage that are really hard to believe. I know because I've been called a liar on other boards for saying I shot them even though I shot quite a few groups that were similar. I'm talking about putting 4 out of 5 into a hole that was almost impossible to recognize that it wasn't one bullet hole at 50 yards. My one flyer pushed my group size out to .3" but I've shot several groups right around the .1" mark. If I had shot that one the same way I shot the other 4 I would have had a group that measured about .01". Like I said it's hard to believe. Those rifles can shoot though. I'm not the only one that gets results like that. I'll go ahead and post a scan of that target. I put 4 shots through the one hole and one trough the hole behind the numbers on the target. I posted the numbers for the 4 shots. I've shot other groups where I had 4 real tight and one not so tight too. My best overall group with the rifle was .111". The best group I've shot with the CZ was .108" but I haven't shot any groups like this with the CZ.

[​IMG]
  8. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Wow.. That's some nice shooting there. The best I can do is ragged holes at 75 yards but at 50 the holes still ragged.

A couple questions,

1) What type of rest were you using for this shooting?

2)Have you made any modifications to the rifle or is it stock?
  9. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I was shooting off of sandbags front and rear. The only modification I've done is to pillar bed the action. It's hard to get any torque on the action screws without adding something to the back side of the wood where the screws go through the stock. It was a fairly easy job and it allowed me to go up from 15 inch pounds of torque to about 25 inch pounds. It's very easy to crush the wood on the BTV and the BV stocks if you aren't careful. Basically I just put some washers behind the wood the right way.
  10. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Hmmm... I've never pillar bedded one of my rifles, how much of an accuracy advantage does it give you?
  11. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Mostly it just made the rifle more consistent Trevor. Because it was pretty much impossible to get enough torque on the action screws they would work loose and cause accuracy problems. The pillar bedding just kept that from happening.