My sister's .32 S&W

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dragonfly, Aug 12, 2012.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I visited my sister in Las Vegas a week or so ago to celebrate her 76th birthday with her. I am 71 and I hope I am still going as strong when I hit 76. Anyway, just before I was leaving I remembered she had not shown me a pistol her late husband had left her. From the way she talked, he had quite a nice collection of firearms, most all of which went to his children from a earlier marriage.

I have read a little on the web forums about the early S&W revolvers and know many of them are very desirable. To me, this would be one of them.
    Any info would be appreciated. I will pass what I learn on to her.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't posted pics on this forum in the past so I don't know which ones will work. Hopefully, if the aren't in picture form, the link back to Photobucket will work. DF
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You have a nice 32/20 Hand Ejector. Various models were made from 1899 to 1940. With that 70000 serial number, that is the "Model of 1905, 4th Change", made between 1915 and 1940. The first one in that change was SN 65701, so I'd SWAG right around 1920 for yours' date of birth.

32/20 is available, but not easy to find, nor is it cheap. The last I bought was over 30 dollars a box, and that's been more than 10 years ago.

A long time ago they made two different types of 32/20 ammo. One was listed as "High Speed", and was for Winchester 92 rifles, only. The regular stuff was safe in Winchester 73s, Colt Single Actions and S&W revolvers. Sometime in the late 60s-early 70s they quit that. Some lawyer told 'em they was gonna get sued. So all 32/20 ammo made for the last 30 or 40 years is safe in your gun. But you might just come across an old box marked "High Speed", or "For rifles". Don't put that in the gun. Be a shame to blow something that pretty up.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun appears to be unfired or close to it, but it has some rust spots picked up due to improper storage. I hope you can get her to oil the gun and prevent the rust from spreading. Value would be about $600, but if it had been better cared for, it could have brought three times that.

Jim
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Alpo, Jim, many thanks for the information. I will get hold of her and pass on the information. Especially the good cleaning and wipe-down. I would have done that if I had seen it sooner while I was visiting. It will be a little hassle, but I am going to see if she will send it out to me so I can clean it up right and store it better.