My SKS

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

A Professional
    (11/11/01 6:58:53 pm)
    | Edit | Del All My SKS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Took out my new SKS today. The first shot thru it hit a can at 75 yards. Of course I've shot my dad's pleanty of times, but the SKS is known for it's out-of-box accuracy.

I really want to customize it tho. Anyone know a site that sells "custom" SKS stocks? I've seen all the new standard stocks you can get at sksman.com. I'm looking for a good thumbhole dark wood or camo design. Also wanna touchup all the metal on it.

This is my favorite, unknown who made it.

If anyone knows how I could get a stock like this one, pleeease let me know.

Edited by: A Professional at: 11/11/01 7:00:28 pm

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/11/01 7:25:21 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: My SKS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Boy, A Prof, wish every SKS I've shot was known for it's out of the box accuracy...Some of them I've shot better 50 yd groups with a .45!

What kind of ammo do you use? My Romanian can't do a consistent 3" at 50 yds, but then again I think it's a combination of that stupid short stock, Wolf ammo, and a crappy trigger.

I even pre-sighted in my scope on it today at 50, didn't have alot of time and the 100 yd positions were all filled, and best group was around 2", but didn't have alot of time so rushed it...first thing I need is that 1" extension, and a cheek pad, couldn't keep my cheek tight to the stock with that see through mount...

Then I need to do something about that creepy two stage...

Sounds like you got a good one...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

ysacres
    (11/11/01 9:43:38 pm)
    I have two SKS's,one of them is a coyote flipper out to 200 yrd's and the other i cant hit the broad side of the barn @ 50 yrd's. Ram Line monte carlo stock on the flipper, and a folding stock on the piece of crap. I took both to the gunsmith and had the bayonet lug's, cleaning rod guide, and sling loop ground off then reblued the spots. That clean's up the end of the barrel, subtracts some weight, and makes them look better. Also make's it much easyer to pull out of a scabbard or seat cover.

the right of the people to keep and bear arms

A Professional
    (11/11/01 9:51:29 pm)
    Do ya know if you got one with a pinned on barrel, or threaded on type. Both mine and my dads are right on the money, and about 2" groups at 100 yards if your good. I did fine with no scope, using the bayo to steady.

Im looking to redo all the metal on mine, and then crome the trigger, bolt, maybe sights. Gonna be sharp.

ysacres
    (11/11/01 10:07:04 pm)
    I have no idea if their pined or threaded, can you tell by looking for a pin. Sounds like your shootin to have a fancy SKS when all said & done.

the right of the people to keep and bear arms

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/12/01 12:52:09 am)
    I cringe when I hear about grinding off the bayo lug, but then I'm into CRs...keeping it collectible....

The Romanian are threaded just like the Russians...I believe only the Chinks are pinned...and then only some of them...

Does anybody do a trigger job on them, or better yet know how to do it? Mine needs it, it's an "inconsistant creepy two-stage," each pull is a little different...the good thing is I get alot of "surprise breaks," but for the wrong reason....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

A Professional
    (11/12/01 1:32:36 am)
    This site has loads of SKS parts.

Rifle Tech

At $137.50 (yikes!) you can pickup item #34, a competition trigger group.