1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

My Son Gets The First Rabbit This Year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rescue2553, Sep 9, 2004.

1. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

Today my son and I decided to go shooting some clay pigions and have a little fun behind our house. When we started we both noticed a rabbit out in the fresh cut hay field and just went about shooting clays and having some father son fun. after about 1/2 hour of this the rabbit was still there just ignoring us and eating grass. My son looked at me and said the famous words hey dad watch this? and he through a clay at the rabbit and hit it in the head the rabbit jumped up rolled over and died right their. We both where shocked at how little it took to kill the rabbit. Now my son is bouncing around the house telling me to beat that one dad!
  2. brendan_harkin

brendan_harkin New Member

Olympic discus champion in the making! :eek:
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

He will remember that one, and talk about it, forever. ;)

Is he going to eat it?
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:D yep! you'll hear that story for yrs to come! heehee.... you'll probably tell it too! ;)
  5. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

If my 'ol memory serves me corectly I would not eat that rabbit unless you have had a hard frost. I seem to remeber somtime back about rabbits carring a bad germ until there was a hard frost.

Tell your son good job. And if your able to top it I know I want to hear it.

Ray
  6. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

Thanks to all of you that have replied, I have been thinking the same thing many memories ahead on this one. A good friend of mine is a taxadermist and he is setting up a display with it and the broken clay that hit it. I am not sure what it will look like when he is done but it sure will be in the family for years after I am gone im sure.
  7. searcher5

searcher5 New Member

Years ago when I was working cattle for a living, there was a rabbit in the pens, about to get trampled. I picked up a clod to toss at him, to scare him away. It hit him in the head, lightly, and killed him dead. Apparantly it doesn't take much. Like some have said, don't skin them until after the first freeze, or you might get rabbit fever. Take that boy out after the first freeze, and show him how to hunt, skin, cook and eat rabbit.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2004