My storage unit was broken into over the weekend.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Nov 29, 2010.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I got a phone call about it this afternoon. My unit along with quite a few others were broken into this last weekend. They were selective in what they took. They left alot of stuff behind but they took about $3000 worth of tools...my box dollie...my saws...drills...and some car stereo equipment. They left stuff that was apparently not of value to them. My Grandmothers tiffany lamps and Precious moment collection were untouched.

If only i could have known... i would have been locked in my unit with both 45s loaded and ready to rock. i would have made pizza out of them! :mad:

I have been "stewing" about the whole thing ever since i found out. I stopped by Quicktrip to gas up the car. I walked up to the glass doors and stared for a second at two douchebags standing there that were the type that look like they were "methers" and looked like they were the unsavory type that would do such a thing. I know there is a chance i will never know who stole from me and others at that storage place...but i can hope they will get caught.

I think they knew what they were doing. Every unit had the padlock locking unit poped off in the same way and laying on the ground in about the same place on each unit. My guess is that there was one guy popping the locks and others sorting for what they wanted. I don't think this was their first time doing this...

This only reinforces my opinion about people... for the most part...i don't like people.

mike
    gn
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Go straight to the pawn shops. Years ago I had an employee steel some stuff and I went straight to the closest pawn shop. Luckly the guy was a friend of mine i did work for. He told me he could not really help me but after thinking about it he said he needed a contractor to do a job in his store room. He took me in there and took me to a place where my tools were sitting on the shelf. I saw them and that was it. I told him I would pay him for what he put out on the tools and then went straight to the sheriff's office. Done! ahole went to jail. You have to walk a fine line with them. They dont want to loose their investment and by law they have 30 days before the tools hit the shelfs. It's up to you if you wait the 30 days to look for the stuff. The other thing is if you let them know that you are looking for something the shop may bring the stuff to another location to sell it.

If they sell the tools to a contractor you will never see them again. But odds are right now no one is working so they will end up in a pawn shop.

crack heads.....
  3. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Nothin worse than being violated by some worthless P.O.S thief. Sorry for your loss Mike.
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I feel for you man. There is nothing worse than being violated like that, believe me I know the feeling.

It sounds like you should consider changing storage companies. Most of them in me neck of the woods all have security gates, lights, alarms and surveillance cameras. If the storage company won't cover your lose than you should check with your home owners insurance if you have it.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I said a prayer over the whole thing last night. I don't know if God will honor my prayer though as it included a request that the perps be raped by a grizley bear....

Not too many pawn shops up my way...that i know of. I think Tulsa would be where they would take my stuff? I'm gonna look there...

mike
    gn
  6. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I can relate Mike.

My buddy and I were going to start a cleaning business and we had the buffers, vacuum cleaners and a good start on supplies.

Bang, EVERYTHING gone, poof. No insurance yet = folded, done, big loose.

Phew can I relate. :(
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I have a new idea on what i would like to do to the thieves.... Catch them, tie them up, and deficate on their faces as they lay there on the ground.

I have new "terminology" for these "so called" pawn shops.... "THIEVES MARKETPLACE".
    They should name their dens of crime such names as "3 thieves market place" or the "buy your stuff back here market place" or just simply "screw you!"

mike
    gn
  8. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

If you do not have serial numbers or other unique identifying marks, you are screwed.

If you do, as mentioned before, hit all pawnshops within a 50mi radius now! Print flyers with pictures of the identical item with s/n or unique marks.

I found a guitar that was stolen from me within days by doing this.

If you have not already, take pictures of your valueables and record serial numbers for future use. If you can't remove the bastards by catching them in the act, you can aid in their prosecution by busting them when they pawn it.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sorry for you mike.

i asked a pawn shop owner in town once if they had to hold items after they were bought for a length of time and they said no. it must be a state specific thing.
  10. johnlives4christ

correct me if im wrong but if you find your stuff in a pawn shop and report it to the police dont the police seize it and then return it to you? the pawn shop takes the loss unless they catch the perps
  11. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Na, they hold on to it for you as it would now be evidence.

It's better in my opinion to buy it back then deal with the police.
  12. johnlives4christ

i dont know where i heard it but someone i know got his stuff back from the cops after it was found at a pawn shop
  13. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

NO! Do NOT pay one red cent for your own stuff!!! If it is reported as stolen and has serial numbers/identifying marks as listed on the police report, it is STOLEN PROPERTY.

I ran up against this when I located the guitar that was stolen from me and I found it in a music store. The owner wanted me to pay him what he gave the people that sold it to him. I immediately called the Sheriff's office and let them know. The deputy then called the store owner and told them that he was on the way to get the guitar. The owner asked about payment for it and the deputy gave him 2 options.

Option 1 was to turn the stolen item over to deputies and eat the loss.

Option 2 was to recieve payment for the stolen item and then be arrested for recieving stolen property.

He promptly selected option 1.:D

Why the HELL should you need to BUY an item that was STOLEN from you?:mad:

Sucks for the pawn shop owner, but it is a risk they are well aware of way before they even start the business. Smart store owners take huge precautions to document who they do business with.
  14. vytoland

vytoland New Member

1. file a report with the local police department. provide them with a detailed list of stolen items.

2. file a report with your insurance company.

3. file a case against the storage facilities in small claims court. apparently they failed to provide a resonable secure environment.
  15. durk

durk New Member

Wow, that stinks mike! Will you be able to get any compensation from the storage unit people?