The Firearms Forum banner

My Survival First Aid Kit Contents

6K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  wpage 
#1 · (Edited)
There was a thread about survival gear awhile back, but can't find it. So, I'll start a new one. This is the list of contents currently in my back pack. It rides behind the seat of my truck.

Day Pack size 2 compartment back pack. Contents of main compartment from bottom to top then front compartment contents.

Main Compartment:

2 Alum cook pots w/ folding handles circa late 60's. Packed inside them:
• Magnesium Fire Starter
• Survival saw
• Mirror
• 3 firesticks
• Waxed thread (for lashing)
• Camp Soap
• Folding knife
• Compressed fuel x2
• Knife sharpener, draw type
2 Mess Kits containing:
• Knife, fork & spoon x2
• Knife sharpener
• P-38
• Waterproof Matches
Binoculars - 8x10
2 - Space Blankets
2 - Survival Blankets
Whetstone w/ oil & cleaner
2 - 50' Nylon cord
Cold Steel Master Hunter
Diamond Sharpener
Folding Saw (BSA)
Folding Shovel
Waterproof Bag containing:
• WP Matches
• Flashlight
• Iodine Tablets

Front Compartment:

Bass Pro Expedition Level 5 First Aid Kit contents:

6 - Antiseptic towelettes
1 - Green soap sponge
1 - Antimicrobial towelette
20 - Ibuprofen tablets
20 - Acetaminophen tablets
2 - Decongestant tablets
6 - Pepto Bismal tablets
1 - Sting relief
2 - Antibiotic ointment
1 - Tincture of benzoin
6 - Adhesive bandages 1" x 3"
2 - Knuckle bandage
2 - 2" x 3" non-stick pad
8 - 3" x 3" gauze pads
5 - Sterile wound closures
1 - Elastic bandage 3" x 4.5 yards
4 - Oval Patches 2" x 4"
1 - Adhesive tape 1/2" x 10 yards
1 - Pressure wrap 1" x 5 yards
1 - Triangle bandage
1 - Trauma pad 5" x 9"
2 - Gauze rolls 2" x 5 yards
1 - Moleskin 2" x 3"
Vial
Tweezers
4 - Safety Pins
Pencil
Irrigation syringe 10cc
5 - Resealable bags ziploc type
CPR life mask
Pair mitrile gloves
6 - latex gloves
EMT shears 5.5"
1 - blood clot
5 - scalpels
20 - band aids
Extra Gauze bandages
2 - Ace bandages
First aid booklet
Back country first aid book

Pocket Survival Pak ™ containing:

• Spark-Lite™ Firestarter
• Spark-Lite Tinder-Quick 4
• Survival Whistle
• Rescue Flash Signal Mirror
• 20mm Survival Compass
• Duct Tape 26"x2"
• SS Utility Wire
• Braided Nylon Cord 10'
• #69 Black Nylon Thread 50'
• Heavy Duty Sewing Needle
• 4 Safety Pins
• HD Aluminum Foil
• #2 Pencil & Paper
• #22 Scalpel Blade
• Fresnel Lens Magnifier
Scout Fire Flint Firestarter
3 Candles
Zip Ties
Katadyn Water Filter

BPS first aid kit

Pocket Survival Pak

Swiss Army Scout Fire Starter

Something I think folks miss adding to their kits are zip ties. They are extremely useful and could help make repairs, build shelter, etc.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#3 ·
I bought a medium sized first-aid kit that I put in my hunting backpack that goes with me everywhere including the outhouse!I added large zip-ties a roll of twine and a roll of black electrical tape I also carry a hack-saw for cutting the brisket along with the odd limb that may be in my "shooting lane" along with much much more ................ I use my atv as a hunting aid!!......................................I always get the odd remark befor setting out "Where's the war? or where's the fire?" (or some comment) but I believe one can never be too prepared.:cool:

Bill

#5 ·
Good ideas for 1st aid kit:

- New Skin liquid (makes a great bandage for wounds and can be any size.)
- Liquid Orajel, Dental floss, needle - among all the things you can do individually with these items, you can also give stitches. The dental floss is sterile and wax coated...the Oragel will numb anything not just teeth,,,,it stings like a mother for 30 seconds or so, but then after that the wound is numb and then stitch away!

#6 · (Edited)
Good ideas for 1st aid kit:
That's what I'm looking for. More good ideas to make my kit better. Thanks .308!! :D

Any more suggestion aside from Israeli bandages??

I found Chinook Medical Supplies here. Good site and has some good stuff. Finally found someplace to buy a scalpel and sutures. :D

#7 ·
MAN THIS ISNT A SURVIVAL KIT THIS IS A (IM HEADED FOR THE HILLS ILL SEE YOU NEXT YEAR KIT)I KEEP A WIDE BANDAGE SOAKED IN ALCOHOL IN A SEALED CONTAINER(USE IT FOR BANDAGE,COOKING,LIGHT,OR WARMTH)I HAVE TWO EMERGENCY BLANKETS AND TWO EXTRA LARGE INDUSTRIAL GARBAGE BAGS.YOU CUT HOLES FOR RAINCOAT OR USE FOR GROUND CLOTH.I ALSO HAVE IN MY TRUCK TOOL BOX A RUGER SINGLE SIX,A COLLASPABLE ROD WITH REEL,ARTIFICIAL BAITS,500 RDS OF 22 AMMO,HACHETT,AX,PICK,AND SHOVEL.IN A SMALL MEDICAL KIT I HAVE WAXED FLOSS AND CURVED NEEDLE,ALONG WITH ANTIBIOTIC AND TYLENOL.THERE ARE ALSO SOME WAXED FIRE STARTER STICKS THAT WILL BURN EVEN IN THE RAIN.100 WAXED STRIKE ANYWHERE KITCHEN MATCHES AND 4-5 BUTANE LIGHTERS.I KNOW THERE IS A FEW OTHER THINGS BUT THATS ENOUGH OLD SEMPERFI

#8 ·
Glad you pointed out the butane lighters old semper fi. I always keep several with me. Hunting up here is often very wet with little chance to dry things out. Matches even in waterproof containers get damp, let alone trying to find something dry to strike them on. A split second under a lighter flame and you are good to go lighting a backpack stove or lantern without getting your fingers burned. Another good one is the lightweight space blanket that fits into your palm as well as any survival kit, no matter how small. I carried one for years before I had to use it one night a few years back. I was surprised how well it worked.

#10 ·
That's what I'm looking for. More good ideas to make my kit better. Thanks .308!! :D
How about Ziploc freezer bags stuffed with dryer lint... Free, takes up very little space and is a lot easier than looking for dry tinder.

Penny stove... Kind of a cheesy video, but it shows how to make one much better than I could explain it on here. One thing that I'll add is that if you use alcohol for fuel, it needs to be warmed up. I generally hold a lighter to the base of the stove to do that. I think a little stove like this would work well to sanitize your tools before going after that gash in your arm, although you will need a place out of the wind... If you plan to cook a quick small meal with it you can place rocks around it and put your pot on top of the rocks.

Don't forget extra batteries for the flashlight.

Crpdeth

#11 ·
Good info here, even though I don't have a bug out bag, I ain't going anywhere! All my stuff is right here at home, and this is where I'll stay, 7 acres in the Piney Woods of East TX.

#12 ·
What about nurishment? I'm not a survivalist at all, but what if you just break down in your truck...sure the probabilities I'm sure are small...but still.

Maybe some sardines. Yes, some can be salty, but they have quite a bit of protein considering the small can size and will keep. Perhaps a couple of pouches of protein drink or something with carbs in case you get stuck in some global warming weather, these expire though.

#13 · (Edited)
May not be first aid, but bandages wont help much if you cant keep your strength up. As much as I hate to say it, MREs. I have had the please of numerous MREs over the last 20 years. And the smell STINKS haha. You can split up 2 MREs to last 4-5 days. The toilet paper leaves much to be desired haha. The heaters in them also make great warmers. You have to be careful though,

WARNING

1. Vapors released by activated heater contain hydrogen, a flammable gas. Do not place an open flame in the vapor.
2. Vapors released by activated heater can displace oxygen.
3. Hot water leakage can burn and cause a cold-weather injury.
4. After heating, the heater bag and MRE pouch will be very hot. Use caution when removing MRE pouch from bag.
5. Discard heater and bag after use. Do not drink the water remaining in the bag or use it in food items.

#16 ·
My "uh-oh" kit isn't quite as extravagant as yours. It's all in a MOLLE 1qt canteen carrier. Inside is a magnesium fire starter, the accessory kit from an MRE (instant coffee, sugar, matches, toilet paper, etc.), a signal mirror, emergency blanket, steel wool (fire starter), multi-tool, whistle, water purification tablets, trioxane tablets, black contractor's garbage bag (can be used as tarp, poncho, water collection, etc.) and a canteen cup.

#17 ·
#19 ·
I thought for minute the initial kit was a little over blown but got to thinking what I carry in my pickup and decided I have no room to comment. One thing I also carry in my pickup is a little jet boil stove. It fits in a container that doubles as a cooking pot and coffee mug. I have a coffee press and pack some coffee and water for hot coffee anywhere in the hills. I can boil a couple of cups of water in less than a minute.

Anytime I head off a main road here in Wyoming on either horseback, ATV or on foot I pack my day pack with basic survival items. Shelter - heavy space blanket tarp, matches, lighter, fire starter, signal mirror,water in filter bottle, compass, knife, parachute cord, 55 gal trash can liner, extra wool gloves and hat.

#20 ·
I got a question or two regarding my multiple knife sharpeners and I do have several in my kit because I'm a little anal about sharp knives. I have more than one of several items; knife sharpeners, fire starters, knives, water purification, etc. Always have a back-up.

Also notice I have this kit which is a true pocket survival kit included in my large SHTF kit.

This is what I think I would need if I had to bug out from work and couldn't get back home. Not likely, but these days you never know.

#21 ·
I thought for minute the initial kit was a little over blown but got to thinking what I carry in my pickup and decided I have no room to comment.
whip,

Yeah, but I'm just east of Dallas not in the wild wild west! :eek: Come to think of it, my neck of the woods may be more dangerous.:eek: :D :D

I wish I lived in a house in the foothills with the nearest neighbor a mile away. Peaceful and less dangerous than my current abode.

G
#23 ·
Donny, you mentioned ziplocks and dryer lint. I'll go you one better. You're a photographer.

Take that lint, mix it with vaseline, and store in the empty film cannisters.
A few lint balls under the direction of a magnesium flint will light up your day.

No first aid kit should be without a flint block.

#25 ·
it seems you are forgetting the kitchen sink...
If you're in a survival situation, you will wish you had packed more essentials, maybe even a sink. Although, all i need is a bowl and some sticks and I can lash a washstand together in about 30 minutes. So, with what I have packed I can make a kitchen sink, so why pack one?? :D :D

#26 ·
A good first aid kit and a bug out bag. Worth talking about as folks get concerned about the shaky world condition...
There was a time we had civil defense and air raid shelters during the 60's when the nuclear threat seemed imminent. Interesting how self reliance in security has replaced a central solution for this problem.
We were issued iodine pills by the local authority in the event the reactor breaches
for slowing absorption of radiation/pathogens. So iodized salt would be a good bet for your kit if we have a nuclear element.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.