The Firearms Forum banner

My trusty old Remington 512

32K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  hat-trick 
#1 ·
I went out shooting with my .22’s this last Friday and had a ball blasting away with my two 10/22’s and my trusty old Remington 512 Sportmaster bolt action rifle.

The Remington 512 was the first real firearm I ever owned. My Dad gave it to me when I was 10 years old to begin honing my marksmanship skills. It’s really been a reliable old friend. He got it in 1942 just before he shipped out to WWII. After that he said he never really shot it very much, it just sat around in the closet until he gave it to me.

Since my eyes just aren’t what they used to be, recently I decided to mount a .22 rimfire type scope on it to help my precision shooting out a little. The results were better than I expected. I drilled and tapped the receiver for a couple of Weaver #43 Top- Mount Bases and then added a couple of Leupold Rifleman see-thru rings. For the scope, I know a lot of people will disapprove, but I used a Wally-World CenterPoint 3 X 9 .22 Rimfire with a mildot illuminated reticle. For the $54 price it seems remarkably clear and accurate. Putting a real expensive scope on a $150 gun just didn’t make any sense to me.

When I zeroed it in at 50 yards I was happy to see I was getting nickel sized 3-shot groups using Federal 550 bulk ammo. If I used quality match grade ammo, it would probably shoot one ragged hole. The mildot reticle allows me to use a two-dot holdover and be on target at 100 yards.

Now I think I will have to spend some more afternoons renewing my friendship with my trusty old rifle. Here are some photos of the rifle and typical groups I was getting:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Snakedriver:
Heh....don't feel bad about putting a $60 scope on a .22 rifle like yours. I too have given up on open iron sights for most my shootin', unless its 30yrds. or less.....the old eye thing is my problem also. Believe me I've had excellant luck w/ the Tasco Buckhorn and the Simmon's 3-9x 40 or 50's scopes. I have had them mounted for over 4yrs on seven of my .22 rifles and also have scopes for my treasured 1963 Hi-Standard Tournment(Bushnell Banner 2x32), and just recently added a 2x32 Burris to my Ruger MKII Target and just love them for the type shootin' I do. Mainly paper punching and just plinking at the gun range....not so much huntin' anymore.BTW....nice lookin' piece there.....one I'm sure you are proud to own.

TT

#3 ·
Neat old rifle and looks to be in great shape. Nothing can match the nostalgia and memories associated with that first rifle and so nice you still have it. No high priced scopes on my .22's either and no complaints. They do a better job than I can manage so it is not the scope's fault when the group doesn't measure up. Sorry to say it is always me that is messing up.

#4 ·
Your rifle has really nice wood - that's so much nicer looking to me than any modern plastic or laminated stock. It's starting to get warm enough here in Wisconsin to think about going shooting at the range - I should take my Savage model 29 out and shoot it. It was my first gun and my Dad gave it to me also. It has open sights and my eyes don't work as good as they used to either. My groups won't be that good, I'm afraid.

#6 ·
Snakedriver:

My first rifle was also a Remington 512. My grandfather was the original owner, and it came to me when he passed away. I've thought about adding a scope many times, but I've never done it. It still shoots very well as it is, and my eyesight is still pretty good (at a ripe young 24).
It sure does look good though.:)

#7 ·
Thanks for all the nice responses, I'm glad to see there are people who appreciate the old classics.

While they work ok, I'm not sure I like the height of the scope rings. Just for giggles, I think I'm going to remount the scope with a pair of medium rings. They wont have the see-thru feature, but I'm not sure that will matter. :)

#8 ·
you just cant beat a good ol beater .22. Its often you find an unexpected tack driver in an old stevens or in your case remington bolt gun that will outshoot modern tack drivers and they can be found at pawn shops for 50 bucks sometimes;)

#10 ·
I am betting the old Remington just might shoot a better group than the 10/22. Am I right?

Regards, Kirk
Well, almost. Here are a couple of groups using my only slightly played with 10/22. Same ammo, same day and again at 50 yards. The 10/22's barrel is still the factory tapered barrel and the stock hammer & trigger are still installed.

The 10/22 is using a bi-pod for support and the Remington is using bags. :cool:

Attachments

#11 ·
I went out shooting with my .22's this last Friday and had a ball blasting away with my two 10/22's and my trusty old Remington 512 Sportmaster bolt action rifle.
It's good to see another long time 512 owner and fan. I've been enjoying my 512 for four decades and it's still a good shooter. Also the owner of two 10/22s, the 512 will out shoot the stock Ruger but not the other which is far from stock.

(BTW, all three rifles wear scopes but are mounted as low as possible. Just the way I like 'em.)

#12 ·
It's good to see another long time 512 owner and fan. I've been enjoying my 512 for four decades and it's still a good shooter. Also the owner of two 10/22s, the 512 will out shoot the stock Ruger but not the other which is far from stock.

(BTW, all three rifles wear scopes but are mounted as low as possible. Just the way I like 'em.)
My other 10/22 is a pretty much stock 1969 carbine that doesn't shoot as good as the 512 or my slightly customized 10/22. That's ok, it's a classic in its own right. My wife likes it just as it is. My guess is that better glass would make it shoot much more accurately. If I ever find a good deal on a era correct Weaver or something similar I'll make a switch.

I'll post new pictures of the 512 when I get the scope remounted on lower rings and get to the range to get it zeroed. :)

#13 ·
Nice to see more 512's around. I got mine in 1946, it has been a fun gun ever since. I taught grandsons to shoot with it, and now they all have 10/22's. They can't have my 512 though. I won't add a scope to mine, just keep it simple, like my Dad gave it to me.

#14 ·
My other 10/22 is a pretty much stock 1969 carbine
Mine aren't quite that old but I'm not too far off. Of the two 10/22s I still have, one was purchased new in the early 70s and the other new in the mid 70s (the one that's no longer stock). I did have another that I bought used in the early 80s (in very poor shape) that I refurbished, used for a couple of years and then sold to buddy who wanted it badly. All three trouble free for tens of thousands of rounds and good shooters.

My guess is that if someone is having problems with a 10/22, it's either due to it being a newer incarnation of the rifle (of which I've no experience) or what's most likely, due to the ammo being used.

#15 ·
Great looking gun. I got mine for my 12th birthday in 1961, it has shot well for many years, I lent it to guy in college and he bent the front site so I scoped it then. It is still a great shooter, took it to the range a few months back and out shot a local college rifle team with it.

#16 · (Edited)
Great looking gun. I got mine for my 12th birthday in 1961, it has shot well for many years, I lent it to guy in college and he bent the front site so I scoped it then. It is still a great shooter, took it to the range a few months back and out shot a local college rifle team with it.
Numerich e-gun parts might have a replacement for that bent front sight that a gunsmith could change out for you if you are ever interested in getting it fixed.

Since my original posting on My Rem. 512 I swapped out the high see-thru rings for some B-square med. ht. rings having a 1" off-set on the rear ring for bolt clearance. It all works like a champ and I'm glad to be able and shoot those nice tight groups again despite my tired old eyes. :cool:

#18 ·
My wife has a 512 and we would like to scope it.Would you send me to exact mount info you used?
A gunsmith said that he could groove it for a scope. Do you see any problems with this? Maybe bolt clearance? I have a red dot which I could mount more forward to get bolt clearance

Thanks for any insights

#19 · (Edited)
My wife has a 512 and we would like to scope it.Would you send me to exact mount info you used?
A gunsmith said that he could groove it for a scope. Do you see any problems with this? Maybe bolt clearance? I have a red dot which I could mount more forward to get bolt clearance

Thanks for any insights
Use two(2) Weaver #43 scope bases drilled and tapped onto the receiver and you'll be good to go. I had my gunsmith do the drilling and tapping for me and it cost me $60 complete. The #43 mounts are $4.50 each as I recall. Brownells, Midway and most other online stores carry them.

I've heard that it's possible to do the grooving thing, but the Weaver mounts make it a much simpler process.

As I said, I'm using B-square brand, medium ht. rings with a 1" off-set on the rear ring for bolt clearance. It works great. :cool:

ETA: They have a Weaver #42 that you can use to add a scope mount to the barrel if you like, but
I would be nervous about drilling on the barrel so close to the chamber. One slip and it's ruined.

#21 ·
Hey snake, I have the Rem 511, clip fed model. Don't feel bad about scopes. I have scopes on almost all my long guns now, mostly variables reaching 24X. I just can't see well enough anymore. Nice shooting and great looking Remington! main thing is we can keep shootin!:)
I have the same gun and it is my "go to" whenever I want to stick a gun out the back door of the shop and blast away. I mostly use CCI CB's and have a ball. Glad I saw this thread, reminded my that the extractor is broken. On order from Numerich. Thanks!

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the nice responses, I'm glad to see there are people who appreciate the old classics.

While they work ok, I'm not sure I like the height of the scope rings. Just for giggles, I think I'm going to remount the scope with a pair of medium rings. They wont have the see-thru feature, but I'm not sure that will matter. :)
Just put an old M512 back togther again; took it to the range, wow do these old rifles shoot, open sights, shorts, longs and long rifles... make no dif there all nut's on.
Love mine, like a fine wine.

#26 ·
Come this next January my old 512 will be 70 years old, so the trigger is worn smooth as silk from use, but it's still nice and crisp. With the scope I can still get a good tight nickle-sized group even with cheap Fed. 550 Bullk Box ammo.

There's no telling how many rabbits and squirrels that rifle has taken during its lifetime. My grandmother even used it to get dinner for the family while my Dad and his brothers were off fighting WWII. It'll be passed down to my kids when I'm gone and hopefully it will stay in the family for many more generations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.