My trusty old Remington 512

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Snakedriver, Apr 5, 2010.

1. clamman

clamman Member

I have the same gun and it is my "go to" whenever I want to stick a gun out the back door of the shop and blast away. I mostly use CCI CB's and have a ball. Glad I saw this thread, reminded my that the extractor is broken. On order from Numerich. Thanks!
  2. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I goofed, mine is a 510 TargetMaster, not a MatchMaster:)
  3. 436

436 New Member

Just put an old M512 back togther again; took it to the range, wow do these old rifles shoot, open sights, shorts, longs and long rifles... make no dif there all nut's on.
    Love mine, like a fine wine.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Nice, 436! It looks almost brand new! :cool:
  5. 436

436 New Member

Snakedrive,
    It's pretty clean... with a match feeling trigger.
  6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Come this next January my old 512 will be 70 years old, so the trigger is worn smooth as silk from use, but it's still nice and crisp. With the scope I can still get a good tight nickle-sized group even with cheap Fed. 550 Bullk Box ammo.

There's no telling how many rabbits and squirrels that rifle has taken during its lifetime. My grandmother even used it to get dinner for the family while my Dad and his brothers were off fighting WWII. It'll be passed down to my kids when I'm gone and hopefully it will stay in the family for many more generations.
  7. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

Good for you. If you teach your children the history of the rifle and importance of their heritage, they'll treasure it and teach the following generations to appreciate it too. Some things are worth far more than what they could be sold for. Your Remington 512 is one of those things.
  8. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Ive got a nice 512 as well! My granddad gave it to me many years ago. I keep it how he gave it to me. Its a dead nuts, dead stock rifle. Great trigger mech, and a great little plinker all together! I love it!

Mine was manufactured in 1941 Im pretty sure...

Attached Files:

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Really nice rifle Chinook! AUU puts the date of manufacture at March, 1949.
  10. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The Rem. 341 Sportmasters were the predecessors of the 512's and were made for only 4 years from 1936 to 1940. They are extremely well built and very accurate. Yours is very nice too Peacekeeper.

I also have a 341 that belonged to my Dad's brother (my uncle). The "AF" on the barrel puts the date of manufacture at March, 1937. It's not in as good of shape as my 512, but still functions perfectly.

Rem 341-007.jpg

Rem 341-009.jpg
  12. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

It's amazing how many 22 rifles have been made over the years! I really love the old bolt action rifles, the were built to last.
  13. 436

436 New Member

Chinook,
    Sweet! Sweet! Sweet! That's a very nice M512
    Cheers,
  14. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Thanks for the info SnakeDriver! My Granddad said he either bought it in '41, or '51, just couldnt remember which one. And he bought it from a dealer(thats still in biz, and still family owned!) that got it on a trade in.

And thanks 436! I have really enjoyed it over the years! One of my all time favorite firearms in my small collection!
  15. hat-trick

hat-trick New Member

OK, my 1st post here is going to display my ignorance. I bought my 512 used from a hardware store in Livingston, MT ($25) when I was 12 years old in 1956. It's now one of about a dozen .22s I own. Haven't shot it in years. Can't for the life of me remember how to get the bolt back in after removing it. Tried the normal method for bolts (pull trigger, slide it in). No go. Sure would appreciate some help.
  16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

hat-trick, I just pulled my 512 out of the safe to make sure, but all you have to do to re-insert the bolt is pull back and hold the trigger while sliding the bolt back in. It should slide right in with no problem.
  17. hat-trick

hat-trick New Member

Thanks, Snakedriver. That's what I've been doing but there's a piece in there that keeps the bolt from sliding in. I'll have a gunsmith take a look at it.
  18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Correct, but that piece is supposed to retract when the trigger is pulled and held (it does on mine) allowing the bolt to be re-inserted. It's probably stuck from years of not being used. You might be able to press on it with a flat-tip screwdriver while the trigger is held back and break it loose. You might also try and spray some "Break-Free" on it.

Good luck, if all else fails the gunsmith will be able to fix it for sure.
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hey snake u sure that is your 1st rifle looks like u just bought it-nice
  20. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Beth thanks, my Dad bought it new in early 1942 for something like $12.95 just before he left for WWII. After that, it didn't get used a whole lot and it sat in the closet for many years. He's one of those people that takes very good care of all his tools and weapons. He gave it to me for my first rifle in 1962 when I turned 10 y.o. and like I learned from him, I also take real good care of all my guns. I do use them much more than he ever did though.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011