My trusty old Remington 512

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Snakedriver, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Numerich e-gun parts might have a replacement for that bent front sight that a gunsmith could change out for you if you are ever interested in getting it fixed.

Since my original posting on My Rem. 512 I swapped out the high see-thru rings for some B-square med. ht. rings having a 1" off-set on the rear ring for bolt clearance. It all works like a champ and I'm glad to be able and shoot those nice tight groups again despite my tired old eyes. :cool:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Hey snake, I have the Rem 511, clip fed model. Don't feel bad about scopes. I have scopes on almost all my long guns now, mostly variables reaching 24X. I just can't see well enough anymore. Nice shooting and great looking Remington! main thing is we can keep shootin!:)
  3. montveil

montveil New Member

My wife has a 512 and we would like to scope it.Would you send me to exact mount info you used?
    A gunsmith said that he could groove it for a scope. Do you see any problems with this? Maybe bolt clearance? I have a red dot which I could mount more forward to get bolt clearance

Thanks for any insights
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Use two(2) Weaver #43 scope bases drilled and tapped onto the receiver and you'll be good to go. I had my gunsmith do the drilling and tapping for me and it cost me $60 complete. The #43 mounts are $4.50 each as I recall. Brownells, Midway and most other online stores carry them.

I've heard that it's possible to do the grooving thing, but the Weaver mounts make it a much simpler process.

As I said, I'm using B-square brand, medium ht. rings with a 1" off-set on the rear ring for bolt clearance. It works great. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: They have a Weaver #42 that you can use to add a scope mount to the barrel if you like, but
    I would be nervous about drilling on the barrel so close to the chamber. One slip and it's ruined.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  5. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I have a 510 Target Master,single shot. I love it ,nice shooter,I also had it set up for a scope.:)
  6. clamman

clamman Member

I have the same gun and it is my "go to" whenever I want to stick a gun out the back door of the shop and blast away. I mostly use CCI CB's and have a ball. Glad I saw this thread, reminded my that the extractor is broken. On order from Numerich. Thanks!
  7. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I goofed, mine is a 510 TargetMaster, not a MatchMaster:)
  8. 436

436 New Member

Just put an old M512 back togther again; took it to the range, wow do these old rifles shoot, open sights, shorts, longs and long rifles... make no dif there all nut's on.
    Love mine, like a fine wine.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Nice, 436! It looks almost brand new! :cool:
  10. 436

436 New Member

Snakedrive,
    It's pretty clean... with a match feeling trigger.
  11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Come this next January my old 512 will be 70 years old, so the trigger is worn smooth as silk from use, but it's still nice and crisp. With the scope I can still get a good tight nickle-sized group even with cheap Fed. 550 Bullk Box ammo.

There's no telling how many rabbits and squirrels that rifle has taken during its lifetime. My grandmother even used it to get dinner for the family while my Dad and his brothers were off fighting WWII. It'll be passed down to my kids when I'm gone and hopefully it will stay in the family for many more generations.
  12. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

Good for you. If you teach your children the history of the rifle and importance of their heritage, they'll treasure it and teach the following generations to appreciate it too. Some things are worth far more than what they could be sold for. Your Remington 512 is one of those things.
  13. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Ive got a nice 512 as well! My granddad gave it to me many years ago. I keep it how he gave it to me. Its a dead nuts, dead stock rifle. Great trigger mech, and a great little plinker all together! I love it!

Mine was manufactured in 1941 Im pretty sure...

Attached Files:

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Really nice rifle Chinook! AUU puts the date of manufacture at March, 1949.
  15. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member