The Firearms Forum banner

My trusty old Remington 512

32K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  hat-trick 
#1 ·
I went out shooting with my .22’s this last Friday and had a ball blasting away with my two 10/22’s and my trusty old Remington 512 Sportmaster bolt action rifle.

The Remington 512 was the first real firearm I ever owned. My Dad gave it to me when I was 10 years old to begin honing my marksmanship skills. It’s really been a reliable old friend. He got it in 1942 just before he shipped out to WWII. After that he said he never really shot it very much, it just sat around in the closet until he gave it to me.

Since my eyes just aren’t what they used to be, recently I decided to mount a .22 rimfire type scope on it to help my precision shooting out a little. The results were better than I expected. I drilled and tapped the receiver for a couple of Weaver #43 Top- Mount Bases and then added a couple of Leupold Rifleman see-thru rings. For the scope, I know a lot of people will disapprove, but I used a Wally-World CenterPoint 3 X 9 .22 Rimfire with a mildot illuminated reticle. For the $54 price it seems remarkably clear and accurate. Putting a real expensive scope on a $150 gun just didn’t make any sense to me.

When I zeroed it in at 50 yards I was happy to see I was getting nickel sized 3-shot groups using Federal 550 bulk ammo. If I used quality match grade ammo, it would probably shoot one ragged hole. The mildot reticle allows me to use a two-dot holdover and be on target at 100 yards.

Now I think I will have to spend some more afternoons renewing my friendship with my trusty old rifle. Here are some photos of the rifle and typical groups I was getting:

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Good for you. If you teach your children the history of the rifle and importance of their heritage, they'll treasure it and teach the following generations to appreciate it too. Some things are worth far more than what they could be sold for. Your Remington 512 is one of those things.

#28 ·
Ive got a nice 512 as well! My granddad gave it to me many years ago. I keep it how he gave it to me. Its a dead nuts, dead stock rifle. Great trigger mech, and a great little plinker all together! I love it!

Mine was manufactured in 1941 Im pretty sure...

Attachments

#31 ·
Your rifle looks very nice! I have a Remington 341 I really like, here is my 341:

The Rem. 341 Sportmasters were the predecessors of the 512's and were made for only 4 years from 1936 to 1940. They are extremely well built and very accurate. Yours is very nice too Peacekeeper.

I also have a 341 that belonged to my Dad's brother (my uncle). The "AF" on the barrel puts the date of manufacture at March, 1937. It's not in as good of shape as my 512, but still functions perfectly.

Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun

Cylinder Revolver Metal

#34 ·
Thanks for the info SnakeDriver! My Granddad said he either bought it in '41, or '51, just couldnt remember which one. And he bought it from a dealer(thats still in biz, and still family owned!) that got it on a trade in.

And thanks 436! I have really enjoyed it over the years! One of my all time favorite firearms in my small collection!

#35 ·
OK, my 1st post here is going to display my ignorance. I bought my 512 used from a hardware store in Livingston, MT ($25) when I was 12 years old in 1956. It's now one of about a dozen .22s I own. Haven't shot it in years. Can't for the life of me remember how to get the bolt back in after removing it. Tried the normal method for bolts (pull trigger, slide it in). No go. Sure would appreciate some help.

#36 ·
OK, my 1st post here is going to display my ignorance. I bought my 512 used from a hardware store in Livingston, MT ($25) when I was 12 years old in 1956. It's now one of about a dozen .22s I own. Haven't shot it in years. Can't for the life of me remember how to get the bolt back in after removing it. Tried the normal method for bolts (pull trigger, slide it in). No go. Sure would appreciate some help.
hat-trick, I just pulled my 512 out of the safe to make sure, but all you have to do to re-insert the bolt is pull back and hold the trigger while sliding the bolt back in. It should slide right in with no problem.

#38 ·
Thanks, Snakedriver. That's what I've been doing but there's a piece in there that keeps the bolt from sliding in. I'll have a gunsmith take a look at it.
Correct, but that piece is supposed to retract when the trigger is pulled and held (it does on mine) allowing the bolt to be re-inserted. It's probably stuck from years of not being used. You might be able to press on it with a flat-tip screwdriver while the trigger is held back and break it loose. You might also try and spray some "Break-Free" on it.

Good luck, if all else fails the gunsmith will be able to fix it for sure.

#40 · (Edited)
hey snake u sure that is your 1st rifle looks like u just bought it-nice
Beth thanks, my Dad bought it new in early 1942 for something like $12.95 just before he left for WWII. After that, it didn't get used a whole lot and it sat in the closet for many years. He's one of those people that takes very good care of all his tools and weapons. He gave it to me for my first rifle in 1962 when I turned 10 y.o. and like I learned from him, I also take real good care of all my guns. I do use them much more than he ever did though.

#41 ·
Correct, but that piece is supposed to retract when the trigger is pulled and held (it does on mine) allowing the bolt to be re-inserted. It's probably stuck from years of not being used. You might be able to press on it with a flat-tip screwdriver while the trigger is held back and break it loose. You might also try and spray some "Break-Free" on it.

I had the same issue with that "thing" (don't remember off hand which part it is) sticking on mine when I first got it. It had been leaning in a corner of my parents' house untouched for 7 years or so, and it had been hanging on the wall in my grandfathers garage for decades before that, though in use while Grandpa had it. I used a screwdriver to push it down, lubed it up really well, and it's been fine ever since.
A spray can of Break Free or similar will be your best bet, as it is hard to get in there.

Let us know if that doesn't work; I'm more than willing to get mine out and disassemble it to figure out how to help. :)

#43 ·

Thanks Snake. Cleaned it. Oiled it. Works fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.