My very first misfire

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sig Willy, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

It happened today at the range. I was shooting my Sigma 9mm and the ammo was WWB 9mm 115 fmjs. I squeezed the trigger and it clicked. I held it in case of hang fire then ejected it. got a dimple in it so I put it back in the mag and it fired.

Bad primer? My Sigma had over 1200 rnds without problems.

Also I had one that was undercharged that the casing barely cleared the chamber and blocked the slide from closing. I guess you can say that's my very first FTE.

Jeez.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Where was your WWB manufactured? This type of problem isn't uncommon with WWB.

I don't think there's a problem with the Sigma unless you encounter more in the near future with other brands of ammo.
  3. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

The rest of the session went fine so I'd say it's the ammo. I've shot a lot of Win ammo and this is the first time I had a failure. I had 5 PDX1 124 +Ps (out of 3 boxes) that had wrong bullets seated in them. That's the only other problem I had with Win.

Oh, the box. Let's see:

in one corner:

187956_10
    9039762_120415_3/12
    25149B

cattycorner:

CT510EY
    E129265
    K7190

any of those numbers mean something? It's a 100 rnd value pack.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  4. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

This is why I like loading my own ammo. So far (knock on wood) I have not had a mis-fire from anything I have loaded.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just had a misfire on my last outing. I was shooting my Springfield XD45, I pulled the trigger,,, and nothing. I ran the slide and took right back off and finished both mags. I picked the cartridge up that was the misfire and I could see the dent in the primer. That primer was a federal. I put it back into the mag and racked it in and tried to fire it once more and it did fire. That was the first misfire that I can remember, except for the .22's.

When I have a misfire I jack it out and keep blazing away.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Hard primers.. I have noticed WWB ammo has started with military marked cases. I believe this is due to the mega ammo contracts the UN has been filling so Olin corp has just standardised thier components. means they are loading military grade primers and WCC marked cases. Some pistols just wont fire them reliably due to the hard primer. Stick em in an M9 or a Sig and theyll go bang all day long.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Only other cause for misfires is weak hammer spring, bad primer, or high primer. Its not bad primer because it fired the second time.
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

I'm sure that you clean your weapons thoroughly so I am just guessing here. Maybe your firing pin channel is a bit dirty? I know that it effects my TRP. Just musing.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There are so many possible causes of misfires that any guessing is just that.

As to reloads, I strongly suspect that in the grand scheme of things, there are more misfires with reloads than with factory ammo, but I sure woundn't want to bet against either going bang.

Jim
  10. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

It's still possible because my FP strikes slightly off center so when I put it back in it hit in a new area.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

nah. if it strikes off center it strikes off center all the time. off center hits if far enough off can cause light strikes, or misfires, but they gotta be way off.

Im bettn its the ammo. next outing buy a buncha rem UMC. I bet your misfires go away..
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

always bet ammo first , unless you have a worn gun and know its hassles

i get 4-5 duds per thousand shop ammo .22 mainly and some .40 PMC

5-6 in all the thousands of reloads i've done
  13. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

I'm with the others, suspect the ammo first. My SWAG, not being there or seeing the round, would be that the primer wasn't fully seated. The first strike seated it and the second touched it off.
  14. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

I would not think it was a good idea to put the "dud" round back in the gun.... too many risks.....

Anyone have thoughts on this?
  15. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I'm curious about that too.
  16. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if i pull a trigger and get no bang.. after waiting a reasonable amount of time.. i try to recock and pull the trigger again.

i have had a rare few rounds that didn't go off , left a light strik, but went off on 2nd strike.

my bet is ammo and not seated primer.