"My World's" most powerful handgun (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by triplebike, Jan 26, 2010.

1. triplebike

triplebike New Member

Yesterday I purchased my 1st revolver & today I fired it. It's the most powerful handgun I have ever fired. I brought a 357 Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel. I fired 50 rounds (357) & it performed perfectly. I've been practicing with my Browning Buckmark, but even with thousands of rds through the BM, I wasn't prepared for the 357. I'm lucky I hit the target at all. I purchased a 100 rds of 38's on my way home , got to practice getting used to this handgun so I can handle it with the 357. I purchased it as an home defense addition to the 12 gauge & I want it loaded with 357's. But it's useless if I can't hit anything! Well that's my story & being new to this caliber firearm , any tips or suggestions to help me at least hit center mass :D would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If it's still got the factory wood on it, I'd swap 'em out for some Pachmyars or Hogues or Uncle Mikes. That Ruger wood is too small, and badly shaped. Least it was for me.
  3. triplebike

triplebike New Member

I agree, but it's prefix is 150-XXXX so finding aftermarket grips is going to be tough.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Mine was a Liberty Gun, so it was a series 151. Pachmyar Presentations fit right on. Too big, but too big was a bit better than too small. Gripper would have been better, but they didn't make that one, back then.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Most powerful handgun I've ever shot was my buddy's Smith & Wesson 629 Classic .44 Magnum. Haven't done the Smith & Wesson 500 yet. I can't even begin to imagine that kind of power at my disposal.

How do you like that Ruger Security Six? I was thinking about this Smith & Wesson 686 .357 they have at Gander Mountain. Don't remember the price, but it had a nice longer barrel - think it was a 6", in stainless steel. Beautiful gun. Is a .357 as good as a .44 in terms of power and accuracy?
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    IST OF ALL YOU ARE NOT TELLING US YOUR SHOOTING STANCE,ARE YOU USING TWO HANDS OR ONE TO SHOOT.I THINK SOMEONE B-4 ASKED ABOUT GRIPS,I SHOOT HOGUE GRIPPERS ON ALL MY HANDGUNS THAT I CAN.TO SHOOT A MAG TYPE HANDGUN YOU MUST FIRST CONQUER THE RECOIL,THEN THE ACCURACY.A FIRM GRIP IS IMPORTANT AND PROPER TRIGGER PULL,YOU CAN ONLY BE TAUGHT TO A POINT AFTER THAT YOU MUST TEACH YOURSELF.WHEN I STARTED OUT WITH MAG HANDGUNS 45 YEARS AGO MY GRANDFATHER WOULD LOAD GUN AND HAND IT TO ME COCKED,ID THEN FIRE PISTOL,SOMETIMES IT WOULD JUMP WHEN THE WAS NO AMMO UNDER HAMMER,THIS IS A FLENCH BY ANTISIPATING RECOIL WHEN THERE WAS NONE-BAD HABIT.I NOW SHOOT A THREE INCH AND SIX INCH 44 MAG WITH 300 GRAIN PROJECTILES EITHER HAND.I ALSO HAVE A 45/70 PISTOL,I WONT LIE,I USE TWO ON THAT ONE.I CAN LEAVE YOU WITH ONLY ONE WORD.PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE OLD SEMPERFI
  7. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Congrats on having fun with the .357. You are right, best to be able to hit what your aiming at, as far as home defense I'd recommend keeping the .38s in it, they will do the job, and not travel too far. Your situation may be different as I live in close proximity to neighbors. As stated before, change the grips, it makes a world of difference.
  8. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I really like the looks of the Hogue monogrips. Unfortunately, they feel too skinny for me. So, I'm using the Pachmeyers on my .44 Redhawk. Have a set of Hogues for the .357 Blackhawk, too, but its the same way; too skinny. A .357 can take some getting used to, thats for sure. I agree with getting used to the 38s first. And Semperfi said it best: practice.
  9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

My first handgun was a .357.I caught myself saying "I know what your thinking,did he fire 6 shots or only 5-I myself have lost count in all this commotion,and seeing as this is a .357 magnum-formerly the second most powerful mass production handgun in the woourld,you got to ask yourself one question".
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, oldsemperfi,

I understand someone is now going to make a revolver for the .50 BMG; you might want to get one. (But count me out!)

Jim
  11. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

I have a handgun in 6.5-284... it roars!
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I understand what you are saying as the ducktail on the early Rugers makes aftermarket grips almost non-existant. You can make the wood grips work just hang on tight with two hands. The 38's are a good idea to practice holding the revolver and focusing on trigger control. Trigger control and sight alignment are the keys to accuracy. Then buy some 38 Spl +P's and work up to 357's. If you can find 110 gr 357's they won't recoil as much and work up to 125 gr or whatever you wish to use it it. The security six is a rugged gun and will take whatever you give it.
  13. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

Congratulations on your purchase! Just out of curiosity, what ammo were you firing from it? Blazer has an aluminum cased 158 gr. .357 Magnum jacketed hollow point that should be adequate for self-defense. IMO when shooting it, it feels more like a .38 Special but still packs a wallop.

www.gunnerforum.com www.taurusarmed.net
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  14. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

My duty revolver was a stainless 686 357. The wood grips were to much for my short fingers/small hands. So, a set of pachmyer grips, same grip each time, hot/cold, comfortable to shoot HOT loads! Go to a good gun shop and see if they will set some different grips on your gun and let you try their fit in your hand. A set of grips can change your whole view point on a gun! Good luck. 38 wad cutters can be quite deadly until you get a handle on the 357 loads!
    Without pachmeyer grips on my Ruger SuperBlackhawk, I wouldn't own let alone shoot this gun. With these grips, it is fun to shoot 44 mags through it.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The early model Ruger Security Sixes (Serial 150XXX) have a different grip style than the later ones and you won't find aftermarket grips for it. If there are some out there then someone please clue me in as I own one as well and have not been able to find any on the web. Custom made may be the only answer and I don't need them that bad.