Mystery pepper box

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Petey, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Petey

Petey New Member

Good afternoon family
    We have in our possession an unknow pepper box revolver. We're trying to identify this piece. All help would be appreciated. This was an inheritance piece from an estate. We have been called on to help idetify it and maybe it's value. So, I call on the pro's. many thanks
    Petey

Attached Files:

2. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

I looked at a lot of pix of American PBs and found nothing similar. Your first photo shows a punch mark on the barrel group. Some cleaning and a good close photo of it might show it to be English. Look it over carefully for small punch marks, a gun seldom has only one if it it has any at all. The butt seems to have a cap box with lid that a fingernail might open. There are PB collectors and one might be able to ID it on sight. As an unidentified piece in functional but fairly rough condition it would probably bring 2 -3 hundred at a local auction. If proveable to be American, same condition, probably twice as much.
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I just found a picture of one similar to that and the owner states that it was made between 1820-1840. He doesnt give any other info there though.

http://www.squidoo.com/blackpowderpistol1

Some more google image searching finds that it is a Cogswell Pepperbox revolver made around the time indicated above. I believe it was made in London.

I'll see what else I can find out with a little digging.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Here another find with some estimated values. Unless yours is something more unique, it should fall within these ranges I would think.

Lot# 240
    Fontaine Auction Gallery

MARSTON PEPPERBOX

MARSTON PEPPERBOX. Marked the Washington Arms Co. 31 caliber six shot with 2.5" barrels. Metal is brown with some surface rust and pitting. Grips are good except for a very small chip missing from right grip at lower tang. Frame is engraved and action functions well. Estimated Value $400 - 600.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, the gun has a definite British accent. It looks like there are there proof marks on it. Can you get a good closeup of them?

Jim
  7. Petey

Petey New Member

You guys and Gals are the greatest. When in a bind and you don't know where else to go, stop in at TFF and the whole family will be there to aide you. Much ablidge, family
    regards
    Petey