Mystery Shotgun!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Chino, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Chino

Chino New Member

My friend owns this antique side by side shotgun. It is obviously old. It is muzzle loading and he believes it is a 20 ga. However there are no markings on it of any kind! No names, no serial numbers, no nuthin'! He even works in a gun store, and nobody seems to know anything about it! We are hoping some of you out there might be able to give us a little info!
    Here's some photos.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The carving on the butt looks to be German, while the forearm looks American, so I'm gonna take a SWAG with Penn Dutch.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Have you had the barrels off? If European, there should be proofmarks on underside. (remove ramrod, tap out the cross key in forearm, and lift up on front end of barrels)
  4. Chino

Chino New Member

Yes, he's had the whole thing apart. No markings anywhere. I'm wondering if it was one of a kind, made by a gunsmith. Interesting note... it is loaded. He's soaking the chambers with oil, then he'll extract the charges.
    Here's some more photos.

Attached Files:

5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Alpo's guess may be right then, and if ever marked, the maker's name on rib may have been rusted away.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

the carvings on the butt look spanish to me a leaf and swirls?
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The hammers and lock plates look homemade. The stock and trigger guard look Belgian. It looks a lot like my Ancion which btw was faintly marked on the rib and hidden amongst the scroll work.
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I think it was made by Helmar Stoltsfutz - a PA German dude living in Intercourse PA back in the mid-1870s.
    (Just kidding) But my first impression was that it had a German look to the carving and inlay. The "star" inlay on the butt stock looks a bit like a "Hex" sign. Maybe an old world gun repaired or refurbished by a local smith in a rural area of the US.
  9. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

hammers are mismatched--left looks like a replacement. nice wallhanger
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

They don't look so much mismatched as they do flattened. Like they came off of something else and reworked to fit. They look too crude for the rest of the gun. The lock plates don't look right either. I've never seen a plate with part of it sticking up above the wood like those do in front of the flash guards. They fit too well into the inlet and around the flash guards to have come off something else tho. Makes me think somebody made them for it. I really don't think they're original to the gun.

Trigger guard on my Ancion.

[​IMG]

Shield on wrist.

[​IMG]
  11. Chino

Chino New Member

Wow!
    Thanks for all the input!