Mystery (to me) gun

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by guardian380, Jun 13, 2009.

1. guardian380

guardian380 New Member

I have a Colt 1911 with a serial number that indicates 1913 manufacture.
    Its a 5 digit serial number with with no 'c' prefix which seems to indicate a military and not commercial gun.My problem is the gun does not have any military markings such as property of the us army.The last date of manufacture on the slide is 1913 which seems correct with the serial number,but the serial number is only on the barrel as seen through the ejection port.There are no markings of any kind on the frame,but a so called "expert" told me a lot of old timers would grind the numbers off the frame in fear of the government. can anybody help me clear this up. it would be appreciated.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It is possible that some previous owner removed the serial numbers and "US Property" stamps, so they would not get in trouble for having stolen government property. Problem is, it is illegal to own a gun that has had the serial numbers removed. It's not illegal to own one with no number. Lots of guns were made without numbers. Before 1968 it was perfectly legal to make a gun without a number. But it's illegal to have one that has had the numbers removed.

If it was me, I would never suggest that the numbers had been removed (which would make me in possession of contraband) but would tell people, if the subject ever came up, that it was a "lunchbox gun", which would explain the missing markings.