NAA mini revolver 22 LR

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Aug 11, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i bought an NAA 22 revolver. standard LR model. i've shot shorts, LR and stingers in it so far and decided that the stingers aren't controllable enough for any serious work. with the long rifles i can shoot fairly quickly. so far it seems like a very well made gun. i have done a tad of work to it by taking all sharp edges off. while sharp crisp edges look good in a gunsafe, my theory is that they will wear a pocket or other article quickly. as for ammo im unsure as to what i want to carry. i am thinking however that i will perhaps try some CCI mini mags. i cant remember, but i think i can get mini mags in solid nose bullets. with the loss of power from a short barrel i think penetration would be a plus over expansion.

does anyone have any experience with these little guns? is my way of thinking headed in the right direction so far

Post script. im going to NC for 2 days for a funeral.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Yes, I own several and have considerable experience both shooting and working on them.

{I do not recommend ever removing the side plate for cleaning unless you are a bonafide gunsmith, experienced in working on them. You will not likely be able to reassemble it without a special tool. Blast the action out with a good spray product (if and when it needs it) instead.} I do recommend cleaning the barrel & cylinder often with a bronze bristle bore brush. These revolvers tend to lead badly.

NAA used to sell me parts that are ONLY factory install today.Their mini-revolver manager is a very nice man named Wayne M.; but he does not run the whole operation. All of their people that I have dealt with, have been great. I wish them well as they make some good products that they stand behind them as well as any other manufacturer.

First and foremost these revolvers are SAFEST if carried loaded with only four rounds; and the hammer resting all the way down on an empty chamber!! {They are a miniature copy of Same Colt's single action design, which folklore holds has killed and injured more persons by accident than any other one handgun has with hostile intent .}

The later "Safety Cylinder" NAA models have notches machined in the cylinder (like a Model 1858 Remington) to hold the nose of the firing pin with the cylinder fully loaded. DO NOT TRUST THEM for pocket carry or soft holster carry. Better yet, always load "one round down"! Accidents can not happen without an opportunity.

If you are a man you put your usually unemployed "Friend" and his two "Crazy Neighbors" in significant danger by carrying one fully loaded in your pants pocket. I am speaking from actual experience, here, not some undocumented hearsay.

In ones pocket (or soft pocket holster, which is a highly recommended accessory) the hammer can get snagged and withdrawn enough for the firing pin to disengage from the "safety notch" and the cylinder to turn a few degrees. Now you have the hammer and firing pin resting on the rim of a live round, and, maybe, the muzzle pointed at you "Friends"...an accident waiting to happen. It happened to me; and I have heard of other credible incidents that I will not discuss here.

If your revolver is an old model that leaves the rims of the cartridges fully exposed; NAA would like for you to send it back to them to be fitted with a free replacement "Safety Cylinder". If one drops a loaded old model cylinder on to a hard surface there could be an accidental discharge with possibly fatal results. There have been accidental discharges involving them.

As to ammo choice. If you go to the NAA website they have actual test results posted for many brands of ammo and at least 4 different revolvers. The results are quite surprising and informative. They also give notice of some non major US maker brands to avoid because of excessively sensitive priming that has caused multiple discharges from the sharp recoil upon firing.

You mentioned CCI Mini-mag; that is what I usually load and carry. CCI Blazer (which is sometimes loaded by Federal, now; owned by same parent company) is less expensive and just as good for this application in my opinion. If the sharp (and many find painful) recoil is a problem try CCI SV or the Federal 36 grain 550 round Value-Pack that is exclusive to Wal-Mart. I will practice with, but not carry cheap Remington ammo for personal defense, as my experience has been significantly more "snaps" per 500, than other major US brands. {Sorry Remington Ammo, but such has been my experiences.}

As to shooting the mini revolver. I recommend wearing a thin medical type glove. They tend to drive a lot of lead and power residue into you skin if you shoot them a lot bare handed. If you are going to actually carry one for personal defense (as I do) you will need lots of practice to become proficient in cocking and hitting with it. Ideal combat range is typically 8 to 12 feet. Center of face shots are most likely to stop an assailant. Chest shots are like a scorpion sting. Your assailant may die, but after he kills or injures you!

One final thought based on experience. If one has a magnum model; get a LR cylinder for it and put the mag. cylinder away. In my experience based opinion, the magnum (based on NAA published data) has an insignificant increase in power over a LR fired in a LR cylinder in the same frame. The mag. kicks much more, and makes much more noise, and is much more likely to misfire with the modern hard brass 22 mag ammo being loaded by most makers, today. If you must carry a mag. model loaded with mag. ammo, you would be wise to prove its reliability by brand and lot # by shooting at least one box (better two) without a "snap". A gun ammo combination that "snaps" (misfires) even 1% of the time is unreliable for personal defense!

Hope this was informative.
  3. johnlives4christ

thanks hammerslagger.
  4. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

I've experienced many of them and can tell you, none of them do the job like a Black Widow. Its very accurate and the 22 mag has enough to do the job in a pinch and the shotshells at 10 feet actually kill snakes. And the base pin is a cross lock which is important on the 22 mag.
  5. johnlives4christ

update on my NAA mini. the gun i purchased had a 1 5/8 barrel. and that was okay, but i decided i wanted the shorter barreled version which is 1 1/8. so i took my hacksaw out and cutter off. i cleaned it up square and ground a little chamfer for a crown and polished the end good. i plan to have the gunsmith install a shotgun bead on the end for a sight. it looks pretty dern good actually, and i like it better than the factory short barrel.

as for ammo im now loading cci mini mags. HP's . does anyone know of a more reliable 22 LR round than the cci's?

~john
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

A 40 grain solid will have more consistent terminal ballistics.

Reliable...as in ignition?
  7. johnlives4christ

ignition is what i mean when i ask of reliability
  8. red14

red14 Active Member

CCI's work best for me. With some practice, you can get pretty good accuracy.
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Rimfire in general is a bit less reliable than centerfire ignition, and I think everyone would agree.

If I had to pic 2 brands for reliability, it would be either CCI or Federal, but even then, I know out of every couple or few hundred rounds, one will be a dud.
  10. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

The Aguila SSS 60 grain would be my choice in this flea shooter. As above heavy solids for deeper penetration.
  11. johnlives4christ

never considered the 60 grainer, knew they were out there though
  12. johnlives4christ

well i got the bead on my naa now and it looks dern good, whenever i get a digital camera i'll post pics.
  13. tntrucker

tntrucker New Member

Enjoyed reading this post; picked up good info. Guess I'll man up and confess. I had not had mine long. Was loading had A D trying to get hammer in safety slot; no damage -pointed in safe direction. But it's been in the safe since then. Will Definatly go with loading 4 and leaving an empty chamber. :eek::
  14. Win73

Win73 New Member

I second the LR cylinder over the magnum. I did some penetration tests some years ago. I made a test box with slots to hold 3/4 inch thick wood squares as test media. I then test fired .22 short in a Beretta Minx, .22 LR in an Iver Johnson TP22, and .22 mag in an NAA mini revolver. I don't remember how much each one penetrated but I do remember the order of finish. The LR penetrated the most. The short was second. The magnum penetrated the least of all! That's right. Even the .22 short did better than the magnum.

After that I traded off my mini revolver. I had bought it because I wanted something with more power that I could just drop in my pocket.

Even if you are going to shoot LR's, I would still recommend getting the magnum version with both cylinders. It has a larger grip than the LR only version which makes it much more controllable. The LR only version grip is just too small.
  15. johnlives4christ

i have been carrying the NAA a lot since i got it and, i always load with 5 rounds and keep the hammer in the safety notch. i feel perfectly comfortable this way.

but i reckon everyone is differant, differant mindsets, differant situations and differant encounters all make for differant answers and veiws on common subjects
  16. sixguncowboy

sixguncowboy New Member

Never heard that folklore before. Member of SASS & been shooting SAAs monthly for 14 years. Always carry my SAAs with hammer resting on an empty chamber.

I agree with you. I've owned one & carried it for more than 30 years as a backup piece (and yes it was sent back to the factory many years ago & had the safety cylinders fitted). If you want to carry it in a pocket or IWB holster, loaded with 5, I suggest that you remove the cylinder and drop the frame in your pocket and practice drawing it with your thumb resting firmly on the hammer (to keep it from snagging) for a couple hours every day for at least a month, to become muscle memory so you do it without even thinking about it. To this day I often carry a 380 or 38 snub IWB and it is 2nd nature for me to place my thumb firmly on top of the hammer spur when drawing. I have never snagged one on an article of clothing.

You can also send your gun back to NAA and have a lanyard ring installed in the butt for a small charge. They will even sell you a lanyard. Then you can carry it suspended from your neck under your shirt
  17. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I also carry mine fully loaded and the hammer resting on one of the "in-between" notches.
  18. red14

red14 Active Member

Anybody seen the new Earl?
  19. louiethelump

louiethelump New Member

I have a couple of the Earls. Also several of the other NAA minis, and as someone above said, I agree that the Black Widows with the awful rubber grips removed and replaced with the wood boot grips is the best of the bunch. I have a firm leather pocket holster for them, (I have a 22 LR and a 22 Mag) and carry them fully loaded with the hammer in the safety notch as directed by the manufacturer. They just about disappear in a side front pocket and I have never had one come out of the safety notch. That said, I do not and will not carry one loose in the pocket, but always in a holster to protect it and keep it upright where it can be easily reached. The 2" barrel, easy to see Millet sights, and heavy barrel make it just right for carry.

The Earls are neat but too big for carry without a holster. I did discover that the Earls will fit in the holster I had made for the mini master I carry in my truck glove box, so it is kind of multipurpose.......
  20. red14

red14 Active Member

I have the 1 5/8 on me right now. Just in case anyone attacks me at my computer.