NAA quality and customer service

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Nov 1, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

my second naa has been giving me some trouble. first the ball fell out of the dentent. then the mainspring broke. naa of course sent me the required parts and it was repaired without issue.

then, like always, i was dry firing while i watch tv, and the gun locked up. the cylinder would not rotate when the hammer was cocked back.

so i returned the gun and they replaced the cylinder, hammer, trigger and everything else inside the gun.

seems like pretty good customer service.

i probably dry fire the gun a couple hundred times a week. not every day but often. and i shoot it usually every time i go shooting at least one cylinder full.
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

I have always found NAA customer service to be excellent. Of course, I only have two of their products, a Guardian and a .22LR Mini. I hate to tell on myself, but the little mini was giving me problems and I took it apart, however, for once I could not get those little bitty parts back together, I called NAA and Lo and Behold, they had a recall in reference to the very issue. Needless to say I sent it back to them and it was returned is less than a week. good as new. On the Guardian I broke a part, I told them I broke it and was willing to pay for it, no problem. In a couple of days I had the part, free of charge. My kind of people.:)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  3. johnlives4christ

i had previously disassembled the mini in question to smooth the trigger, it's a little pain to get back together, but i love a challenge.

i had another naa about a year ago, and i had the dentent fall out of the cylinder pin on that one also. i keep a spare on hand now for just such an occasion.

im thinking about trying to make a set of grips for it in the same shape as the old remington derringer
  4. johnlives4christ

pocket heater

Attached Files:

5. red14

red14 New Member

Their overall quality and customer service are outstanding. American made, lifetime warantee, simply the best.:cool:
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    John, do you put fired cases in your rim fire pistol when dry fireing?
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was always told to NEVER dry fire any firearm.
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    sorry brother,i do not understand why anybody would dry fire a 22 that much,even if you had spent ammo it still will wear out pistol,snap caps would help but this is a little gun with small parts.it will not take that kind of abuse much without breaking.i have one in 22 mag and it has been my companion for twenty years or better and never failed. old semperfi
  9. red14

red14 New Member

Sounds like a ringing endorsement!:cool:
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I had a .22 mag like yours I believe and got rid of it when the front sight fell off while firing it. I found it to be too small and bought a kel tec .32. Sorry
  11. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

There isn't much metal there to withstand much dry firing.
  12. johnlives4christ

NAA recommends that you remove the cylinder before dry firing, but i dont because the hammer spur does not contact any part of the cylinder or chamber. it snaps the hammer body against the frame, not the spur against the chamber edge or spur against the frame. Either of which would cause damage. hammer body against frame though will not cause any wear or damage.

Attached Files:

13. johnlives4christ

i do not use empties or snap caps.

old semperfi you are probably right that dry firing such a tiny, finely made gun so much might wear the thing out. tiny springs and hands and ratchets and pins wear out. for every shot i probably dry fire 20.

so it's not dry firing as opposed to live firing that wears the gun out. just the act of working the action is detrimental to its longevity. i dont consider dry firing it abusive though, as it does not damage the firing pin, or the chambers. it only cycles the action.

like i said previously, i have had a broken main spring, and this time i had a problem with the cylinder not turning. i think either of these would have been caused equally as fast from either dry firing or live.

just because the gun is tiny doesnt mean im going to put it away and not play with it. it gets probably half the workout that my ruger single six does, even though it's 1/8 the size. it's still a 22, and 22's are still inexpensive to shoot so it gets at least a box every time i shoot it. normally i shoot and reload it until it gets too hot, then i shoot something else. then i do it again.
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i keep my naa 22 mag either in my shirt pocket or pants pocket.i keep a 45 colt model 1911 usually is behind back if im wearing a jacket or a model 85 stainless taurus 38 special inside pants holster if no jacket.ya cant have too many guns on ya. old semperfi p.s. dont forget a good knife
  15. johnlives4christ

i normally dont carry a knife other then an ordinary pocket knife.

i almost cant stand to carry the NAA in my pocket because i carry so much other stuff. i normally carry a hanky, pocket knife, keys and wallet. with 1 gun on my belt. theres no pockets left for a gun
  16. johnlives4christ

i emailed NAA and explained my situation to the Mini Revolver master gunsmith. his reply was this

Any North American Arms mini-revolver should be able to take many a years of practical use. Weather its cycling the action or firing it ten times a day it should last a very long time. Even though it is not advised to dry fire the revolver as long as every thing is properly timed and lining up in its place there should be no lasting damage to the revolver. If your mini-revolver does see a lot of work you can always send the revolver back to the factory to have it “serviced” under the life time warranty.

Dustin

the "ten times a day" thing came in because i estimated that i dry fire it on average 10 times a day. sometimes i'll dry fire it a hundred times, but sometimes i wont dry fire it for a week. just depends.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  17. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

John,
    It's a little bitty gun. Slamming the little hammer against the little frame does it no good at all- and there is no real reason to dry fire it.
  18. johnlives4christ

i enjoy it is the reason i do it.