nagant revolver ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

In another post I mention i have a nagant revolver, it's been in my closet years ( decades?) anyway.. I just recently pulled it out and by happenstance was given a repalcement cyly for it for modern ammo.. 32ap i think.

anyway.. this got me to looking at the revolver and ammo it takes.

i am just now into relaoding metalics / rifle ammo, necked cartridges. no straightwall or pistol yet. I was think of getting my feet wet with pistol or straight wall rifle, if I did.. I don't think I'd load anything that is still easy to obtain. harder odd stuff like broom mauser ammo, this nagant.. and 9mm nambu revolver come to mind.

in any event. in looking at nagant ammo.. I see lots of swadcutter.. in fact all i found was wadcutter.. is this common?

thanks
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It is not really wadcutter even though it looks like it. That is the way the ammo and pistol were designed. I don't know if I can explain it very well but here goes an attempt - even better, look at this link in wikipedia, it explains it pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×38mmR
  3. the old gringo

the old gringo New Member

privi is mfg some nagant stuff for 19.00 a box of 50 a man realy can not justify dies and brass for that i ordered a set of lee dies and recieved a set of 32-20's i called them and was told they were inerchangeable never saw a gass check system on a 32-20
    i decieded to stick with the privi as long as they are around 20.00 bucks i have talked with others about the 32 acp culinders and none have been drop in , i have 2 32 acp cylinders that are paper weights my indexer is to short
  4. soundguy

thanks for the info guys, thanks.

I had researched the 32-20 and think you may have to ream the cyl out and countersink the rim a hair.. though perhaps could still use factory ammo maybee...

hmm 20$ / 50 i'd have to shoot it alot to recoup relaoding i guess...
  5. RandyP

RandyP Member

Nagant surplus is available, the standard cylinder will also fire .32 S&W Longs. I reload using reformed 32-20 brass with good results using a plated .312 bullet and Win 231/HP-38.
  6. soundguy

what all do you have to do to the 32-20 brass? trim or?
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

New 32-20 is resized in a Midway USA Nagant die and then seating and crimping with the remainder of a 32-20 die set. No trimming is required. The 32-20 brass is considerably shorter than the gas seal Nagant round. Once-fired brass can be resized in a standard 32-20 die.

Others have had success using a .30 carbine die set.

From left to right Nagant surplus - empty once-fired 32-20 brass - my reloaded round

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  8. soundguy

interesting, thanks!
  9. RandyP

RandyP Member

Only the factory rounds create the Nagant 'gas seal'. Some folks do reload PRVI Nagant brass once fired to maintain the original action.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If I am not mistaken, I have seen ads in Shotgun News of some companies selling replacement cylinders for the Nagant that allows a 32 ACP to be shot.
  11. soundguy

I have one ( now )